PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Cam Gears worth it?

Trab
09-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Hey guys i have been looking at adjustable cam gears and im wondering if they are worth it and which type / brand is best. There is really only 3sx's version and fidanza's version from what ive seen. I really hate 3sx but i will bite the bullet if they are the better product. Let me know what you guys think, thanks

Ninja Performance
09-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Yes, they are worth it. Why would you think they are not? They increase the power output of the engine.

-Chris

Zaroth
09-18-2010, 09:57 AM
More importantly, why in the hell would you hate 3sx? They are one of the backbones of this whole platform...

Trab
09-18-2010, 09:58 AM
More importantly, why in the hell would you hate 3sx? They are one of the backbones of this whole platform...

PM sent

Trab
09-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Yes, they are worth it. Why would you think they are not? They increase the power output of the engine.

-Chris

No i dont not think there worth it, i just have never owned a set so i wasnt sure, just wanted to ask before i bought something. Which version do you like better 3sx's or the fidanza? Thanks

UTRacerX9
09-18-2010, 11:02 AM
I have the Fidanza, and paid the original price of $400 for them. IMO there were better ways to spend the money on performance stuff, obviously exhaust, intake, etc should go first. That said, for the price 3SX is selling their set, I think you'd be happy with them. I can't tell too much of a difference with my setup, but years ago I did several runs on a GTech with stock settings and with the +1, -3 settings, and I was consistently at least .1 faster in the quarter on every run, sometimes .2

The old UR set was definitely not worth it at $800 a set.

Trab
09-18-2010, 11:37 AM
I have the Fidanza, and paid the original price of $400 for them. IMO there were better ways to spend the money on performance stuff, obviously exhaust, intake, etc should go first. That said, for the price 3SX is selling their set, I think you'd be happy with them. I can't tell too much of a difference with my setup, but years ago I did several runs on a GTech with stock settings and with the +1, -3 settings, and I was consistently at least .1 faster in the quarter on every run, sometimes .2

The old UR set was definitely not worth it at $800 a set.

I have quite a few other mods done already so im really down to only a few things left to do. I need to get my sig straightened out.

pos-vr4
09-18-2010, 02:09 PM
As discussed on other threads that Chris (and others) has posted on other boards, the 6g72 will suffer from timing issues after the engines have machine work done.

so, to be able to have the capability to correct the timing and then adjust the gears to make optimum power is worth the $$$.

I recently built a 2.4 big block Evo stroker that had HKS cam gears, and with the many variables in the deck height of the build, without adjustable gears it would have been impossible to get the motor running properly.

TurboSinceBirth
09-18-2010, 02:27 PM
The 3SX cam gears don't slip like the Fidanzas do. I like them and they're definitely lighter than the stock ones when you hold one in each hand. I did not compensate for my decked heads though so it'll probably be an issue I'll have to fix sometime.

Ninja Performance
09-18-2010, 02:55 PM
The 3SX cam gears don't slip like the Fidanzas do. I like them and they're definitely lighter than the stock ones when you hold one in each hand. I did not compensate for my decked heads though so it'll probably be an issue I'll have to fix sometime.

Yep, what you said.

-Chris

Trab
09-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Ok thanks for all the input, i just have a stock mitsu block and my heads havent been decked. So maybe ill be good, but we have a dyno kinda nearby i can play on anyways...

TurboSinceBirth
09-18-2010, 11:26 PM
So are you keeping the car then or still might be selling it?

vr3.9
09-19-2010, 12:30 AM
I just installed some of jackhammers. Non adjustable pre drilled and set ones. I will be dynoing next week on the same dyno I made 439 on a few months ago. So far all I can tell you about the butt dyno is it reminds me kind of of that first cool morning of fall when it comes alive. Hopefully the mustang will back up my butt. (that really doesn't sound right). Pretty reasonably priced too.

Ninja Performance
09-19-2010, 06:23 PM
I just installed some of jackhammers. Non adjustable pre drilled and set ones. I will be dynoing next week on the same dyno I made 439 on a few months ago. So far all I can tell you about the butt dyno is it reminds me kind of of that first cool morning of fall when it comes alive. Hopefully the mustang will back up my butt. (that really doesn't sound right). Pretty reasonably priced too.

That will get you in the ballpark. Without being able to adjust them, you won't get them 100% nor will you be able to degree in the engine. But it will probably get you 75% there.

-Chris

Trab
09-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Got me a set from 3SX. Thanks for the advice and stuff guys...

Trab
09-20-2010, 01:21 PM
So are you keeping the car then or still might be selling it?

Still might be selling not sure yet. Well see how it goes...

SnakeSkinner
09-20-2010, 04:12 PM
I would stay away from the Fidanza's I have seen far too many of them slip. Go with the UR gears, I have been using them on cars for 10 yrs and have never seen a set slip. How much are you valve work to you? and if thy slip and you bend them all a huge pile of labor. Do it right the first time and forget about it.

http://www.dynamicracing.com/customer/product.php?productid=134&cat=54&page=1

BoostMONSTER
09-21-2010, 01:43 AM
well for 800 vs like 250ish id go with 3sx there claimed to be lighter and cost less than fidanza's and UR i think there the cheapest cam gears around 3sx usually has good quality parts

Ninja Performance
09-21-2010, 06:44 AM
As stated on the 3si thread on cam gears, I have yet to see 3sx gears slip. And for a few cents you can always drill and nut/bolt lock them down.

-Chris

TUFFTR
09-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Interesting, my Fidanza ones have been sweet. Loctite them with removable threadlocker and torque to recommended settings.

UTRacerX9
09-21-2010, 08:25 AM
I had my Fidanza's slip on me once, thankfully it was just a little bit and I didn't do any real damage, except that cylinder 3 now has about 5 psi less than the rest due to a slightly bent valve. I retightened them a bit past the recommended settings, didn't have a problem after that.