PDA

View Full Version : Maft pro

VR-4 0wnz j00
12-02-2011, 01:54 AM
I am considering picking up a MAFT Pro over just the translator. I know it does some cool things like speed density and timing control but right now I just want to use it as a translator for a GM MAF. Will it hook up just like the translator?

mb3000
12-02-2011, 01:57 AM
MAF Translator Pro Installation - 3SI Wiki (http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php/MAF_Translator_Pro_Installation)
MAFT PRO WIRING - 3SI Wiki (http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php/MAFT_PRO_WIRING)

Roybatty
12-02-2011, 08:01 AM
yes, a translator on steroids!

VR-4 0wnz j00
12-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the love! Ill get it!

Maximal
12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
They may have sense figured out the problems but I was running this a few years back and had nothing but trouble with it. I know a few other people had the same problem. It's probably worth at least reading around and seeing if they got all those issues ironed out.

Roybatty
12-06-2011, 10:42 AM
I have been going through some threads. What were the problems Maximal???

I am in process of getting mine set up for translator.

Maximal
12-06-2011, 10:54 AM
I have been going through some threads. What were the problems Maximal???

I am in process of getting mine set up for translator.

The car just never ran right and the tune was never consistant. Just to make sure it wasnt' a bad tune I set everything to zero and still ahd the issues, I pulled it off my car and it ran fine. I know other people that had the same problems with it.

Like I said this was a few years ago so it might have changed by now. I just know before Bob was promising a lot in the way of updates and added functionality but they were always slow to come and a bit disappointing when they did.

Roybatty
12-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks for heads up. Yea, there have been some updates. I will post if I run into issues.

Blackmount
12-06-2011, 12:55 PM
I have been really interested in Maft Pro. let me know if you want to sell it hahahaha.

Gearheadvr4
01-17-2012, 07:32 PM
I really liked mine for all the features but I am a tuning novice and could never get a decent tune. Most shops won't touch it due to inexperience with the MAFT Pro and it's quirky nature. Hard to keep a consistent tune. It does have some automatic modes but you won't get the most out of it that way.

I never learn because I'm in way over my head now with the AEM and will have to go with a professional tune.

Roybatty
11-01-2012, 12:30 PM
MAF Translator Pro Installation - 3SI Wiki (http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php/MAF_Translator_Pro_Installation)
MAFT PRO WIRING - 3SI Wiki (http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php/MAFT_PRO_WIRING)

These links aren't working atm. Is there an update to them? I am close to installing this in SAFC mode and had a couple noobish questions.

I'll add links and information to this thread when I can.

Full Throttle Speed Tech Support - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.fullthrottletech.com/)

Alan92RTTT
11-01-2012, 02:55 PM
MAFT PRO WIRING - 3SI Wiki (http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php?title=MAFT_PRO_WIRING)
MAF Translator Pro Installation - 3SI Wiki (http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php/?title=MAF_Translator_Pro_Installation)

Try these

Roybatty
11-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Anyone have experience with the "boomslangs" for this? The wiring doesn't seem too bad without it but curious of pros and cons.

anyonebutme
11-02-2012, 04:53 PM
I bought the standard extension boomslang and soldered it all in for plug-and-play. A lot of money for nearly nothing, but I wanted to keep my harness good for when I sell it.

Roybatty
11-02-2012, 07:46 PM
I feel the same way looking @ it. And, car is already modded way beyond return. Still, will use quick connects for splices with male/female to allow easy removal/return to stock. Save $ for speed density set up.

Sent from garage

Roybatty
11-26-2012, 12:15 PM
I used the below link and the quick setup guide to install; Version 4.4, relatively stock, w/ walbro, AEM inline uego (tapped into), no MAP sensor.

MAF Translator Pro Installation - 3SI Wiki (http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php/?title=MAF_Translator_Pro_Installation)

I wired it up as reccommended, however, I am only setting it up for AFC at this time using the stock MAS. The above link has a questions and answers, where TurboBob says you can do it, with certain settings:

F-out mode should be set to Zero. Had to choose 1 (DSM 1g) or she stumbled & otherwise ran like crap @ idle. Also, there is no zero option; but a fuel pump control option.

V-Out1 mde set @ 101
V-Out2 mde set @ 100 OK.

Mainscale set to zero - stock 360ccs.
Everything else is set to the quick setup guide.

She seems to idle ok with these settings although slightly rich @ around 13.5.
MP reads 255 when engine is off and on. Everything else (ie TPS) seems to be correct.

Is this okay just to get her running? any glaring issues?:confused:

Plan to get the serial to usb adapter and update everything, then start looking into dialing everything in, setting afr tracking etc.

Chris@Rvengeperformance
11-27-2012, 10:24 AM
I feel the same way looking @ it. And, car is already modded way beyond return. Still, will use quick connects for splices with male/female to allow easy removal/return to stock. Save $ for speed density set up.

Sent from garage

as long as you use the quick disconnects you should be fine. I have had issues repairing harnesses with soldering. The soldering is very stiff and if you pull the ecu harness out a number of times they can break the wires near the joint. Now that I know better I would never cut the stock ecu harness. Unfortunately there has always been someone in there before me...

Roybatty
11-28-2012, 09:32 AM
as long as you use the quick disconnects you should be fine. I have had issues repairing harnesses with soldering. The soldering is very stiff and if you pull the ecu harness out a number of times they can break the wires near the joint. Now that I know better I would never cut the stock ecu harness. Unfortunately there has always been someone in there before me...

I removed the front seat to get better access (stock seats are outrageously heavy btw). Had a hard enough time crimping. Can't imagine trying to solder all upside down/sideways..stretched forward etc. Would also probably help if I wasn't such a fat ass!

Roybatty
11-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Got some feedback from TurboBob on Fullthrottle website.

To run AFC mode F In and F Out settings need to match.

Currently she runs, although a tad rich per my SM3 AEM WB readings, as mentioned before mid to low 13s. Cruising is a little richer between mid 12s to mid 13s.

I have been gradually adjusting the main scale to lean AFR and getting some strange results. It seems the NB O2 Sensors are showing a lean condition via the O2 trims. So the fuel trims are compensating for the leaning out of the main scale, so I am still in the rich AFR. I guess I could keep adjusting till she is out of closed loop, is that what is normally done? Should I unplug the NB O2s?.

Not sure if that makes sense to anyone. There are still some sensor/Config/Setting issues I need to work out (WB wiring to MAFTPro not working), so hopefully this will clear things up once it is fixed.

Roybatty
11-28-2012, 11:02 PM
I switched the wire taps for the aem uego & it works on Maftpro now. It's the exact opposite of the quick set up guide(for the aem) .
A quick warm up showed idle close to stoich. :thumbup:
Sent from garage

Roybatty
12-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Slowly getting this tuning done. There are so many points you can adjust @ 1/2% increments.

Main scale is adding 4%. When my 650s come in, plan to switch out the stockers & send them out for cleaning. Also have a "lazy" front o2 sensor but she seems okay when warmed up. There is some quirkiness I am attributing to needing injectors serviced. Part of the issue is that she is a DD, a lot of short trips and the odd temperature swings we have been having; 60 degrees yesterday.

For low load, I've added to idle range, and in process of removing fuel between 1200 & 3000 rpms (cruising) aiming for o2 trims @ 100. I am targeting 100 for low trims (and eventually all trims).

Sent from garage

Roybatty
12-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Maftpro has a partial throttle(pt) setting. Only works with NBs unplugged. :D no cel

Nb free so far & loving it. Friggin things made me run rich @ idle & cruise in spite of cycling ok.

Expecting to get some mpg gains.

Sent from garage

Roybatty
12-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Wut??? I got a cell while cruising...she immediately seemed to run more sluggish. Evidently a limp mode issue that happens periodically.

I reset ECU (pulled 10 amp fuse) and she seems right as rain ATM.

Additionally, this worked for accessing MAFTpro via laptop>>
Amazon.com: Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Rev D Chipset): Computers & Accessories (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00425S1H8/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01).

Will save settings once its tuned in reasonable and then update software/firmware to the latest and start tuning again =P