PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain Found my transmission rattling noise!!!

DrGonzo
11-26-2011, 02:13 PM
For months now I have been plagued with a very loud transmission rattling noise. I have replaced everything that has been discussed in and previous threads I found; Throw out bearing, Clutch, Input shaft bearing, ETC.... Lastly I was told it could be the input shaft bearing on the end case. The bearing is shimmed and if not correct could cause the sound if it is just spinning in the end case. so I pulled the end case and checked the bearing preload. Came back perfect!

There are a set of bearing on the output and intermediate shaft also. I went to check them and the intermediate shaft bearing just fell apart!!!

http://3s.gonzoinc.com/albums/userpics/10002/DSCF1385.jpg

I took a picture before hand so you can see how much slop the bearing had on it that caused it to just fall apart:

http://3s.gonzoinc.com/albums/userpics/10002/DSCF1381.jpg

The output shaft bearing has a little slop in it but not as bad as the intermediate shaft bearing.....

The worst part is that I now have to drop the whole transmission in order to get the whole intermediate shaft out as I have to use a press to get the bearing off.

Only good things is I found that my output shaft is in great condition and so is my transfer case input spool,

http://3s.gonzoinc.com/albums/userpics/10002/DSCF1384.jpg

but this leaves me back on page one as to finding out what the thumping in the drivetrain is being caused by!?!?!?

green-lantern
11-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Damn! that bearing was trashed. My trans makes a noise a bit like yours but I don't think it was as bad. If I push the clutch in and out it gets quieter.

I should probably make a vid and compare it to yours.

DrGonzo
11-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Mine was not bad back during BRG. Mine would also get quiet when I pushed the clutch in, guessing cause the intermediate shaft is not spinning then. The noise progressively got worse and worse.

green-lantern
11-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Mine was not bad back during BRG. Mine would also get quiet when I pushed the clutch in, guessing cause the intermediate shaft is not spinning then. The noise progressively got worse and worse.

I mean if I pushed it in all the way, the sound would totally go away but if I just pump it a time or two and let the clutch out it would get a little bit quieter.

I need to make a video and let you hear it. I remember hearing yours at BRG, I'm not sure if you heard mine but I did watch one of your vids a few months ago. I don't think mine has got any worse but I don't like it. I do have a OBX LSD (reworked by me) so it could be that rattling around.

enigma
12-10-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm sure you can remove the inner race in situ with a puller of the right size, I know I removed mine using a small puller with thin wedges on the end of the legs, or if you can get at it cut off the inner race with a thin cutting wheel, i've cut a few off this way if you gain access either virtically or horizontally 1/16th from the shaft and 95% through and finish with a small chisil to finish breaking the inner race, saves removing the box.

CoopKill
12-10-2011, 01:30 PM
I have the same sound going on with mine. Disappears when the clutch is pushed in.

Let us know what you find, or if what you have found fixes this. I will be pulling the trans to do the clutch, synchros, and possibly the center diff, so might as well chase this down as well.

beepbeep
12-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Great find! Thanks for sharing it, cos we all know it could be any one of us with the issue.

DrGonzo
12-10-2011, 07:49 PM
I got it all back together but the clutch slave went out so I can't drive it right now. I did notice that the noise is not as bad as it used to be when the engine was idling. So it was part of the issue. Still a slight rattle but nothing compared to what it used to be.

Probably wont be able to report anything else till after the first of the year as I won't really have the time to get the slave fixed with the holidays so close.

MR2
12-10-2011, 09:50 PM
clicking does not make your images full size.

DrGonzo
12-11-2011, 09:22 AM
That is because of the lightbox addon Alan installed on the forum. Won't allow access to clickable images outside of the forum. Tries to open them all within this forum.

I have my own image hosting server software which builds the code and inserts the "<--Click Image for Full Size-->" after all of my images..

DrGonzo
12-19-2011, 11:47 AM
So I got the slave replaced and have been able to drive the car. Replacing the bearings did help somewhat but there is still noise coming from the trans. I will say that after pulling it apart, replacing two bearings and putting it back together it does seem to shift a lot better. It was really notchy before, but it is a lot smoother now.

I am just going to have to save up and send the trans off to Jacks for a rebuild when the funds allow it. I have done all I can within my ability to fix this issue without resolution. Time to let the experts handle it now!!!

q2418130103p
01-29-2012, 09:23 PM
I just started a similar thread to yours, I have the same problem with the added fun of hearing it even while driving it.

I replaced a similar set of parts as you. Intermediate shaft bearing bell housing side, pinion bearing bell housing side, both input shaft bearings, clutch, tob, pivot ball, clutch fork, all syncros, output shaft, tc input spool.... and yet the problem remains.

While I understand wanting to send the transmission out for a rebuild by professionals, we really need to solve this problem and document it since it seems to be a very common problem.

I will keep removing and disassembling my transmission until the problem is resolved. I will be pulling it out again shortly. If there is something you want me to try,let me know and I will post the results. It will take a few months, but it will happen. As you can tell by my list of replaced parts, I am fairly serious about resolving this.

stealthycat93
08-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Ok so a kind of old thread having a similar issue. I have a noise that sounded like a chatter or like a metalic type playing cards in the bicycle wheel spokes. Now its more on to a squeal. Have you guys found anything to update yet? Mine I've noticed is semi load and rpm sensitive it does shift kinda rough but no slippage I adjusted my clutch pedal and added some fluid to the master cylinder. I also checked that the clutch fork jiggles around a bit when the pedal isn't pressed. I do know that sokmetimes it doesn't like to go into gear easily sitting still. But not always an rpm drop when it goes in. Speed shifting at high rpms its smooth and flawless. So you guys have anything like that?

green-lantern
08-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Ok so a kind of old thread having a similar issue. I have a noise that sounded like a chatter or like a metalic type playing cards in the bicycle wheel spokes. Now its more on to a squeal. Have you guys found anything to update yet? Mine I've noticed is semi load and rpm sensitive it does shift kinda rough but no slippage I adjusted my clutch pedal and added some fluid to the master cylinder. I also checked that the clutch fork jiggles around a bit when the pedal isn't pressed. I do know that sokmetimes it doesn't like to go into gear easily sitting still. But not always an rpm drop when it goes in. Speed shifting at high rpms its smooth and flawless. So you guys have anything like that?

Your problem sort of sounds like a clutch or TOB.

I noticed that my rattle is back. I bent the clip for the clutch fork in and put a big glob of grease on the ball and that made mine quiet for a while but I guess the grease has worked it's way out or something.