PDA

View Full Version : Rear Aero spoiler

$$$PIT
11-04-2011, 07:06 PM
I have installed the front aero dam simulator. My rear spoiler doesn't work on a consistent basis. If it works it usually only works once. Any ideas?

heptone182
11-05-2011, 06:02 PM
did you ever try just plugging in your front aero motor (obviously without the aero dam and arm) if it still was working?

$$$PIT
11-05-2011, 06:26 PM
It was off the car. Thats why I got the simulator. The rear will work. Just not all the time.

BaadVR4
11-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Take the rear motor/operating linkage system apart. Most often, the limit switches are the culprit for intermittent operation. Another frequent problem is in the linkage between the operating arms and the spoiler. The plastic pieces and steel pins are still available from Mitsubishi, iirc. Good luck.

$$$PIT
11-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Would than mean taking the wing off?

heptone182
11-06-2011, 04:26 PM
you could also try taking the spoiler apart to re-grease it at the pivot points. Over time dirt and nasty stuff builds up in there and doesn't let it move up and down smoothly causing it to work only once and then your "AERO" light comes on. This fixed mine the first time it started doing what yours is doing. If its slamming down rather than smoothly coming down then thats a good sign that you need to re-grease it. But yes, you'll need to take the wing off. Its way easier than it might seem.

BaadVR4
11-06-2011, 06:22 PM
You might want to soak the motor plate screws with PB Blaster. They can be tough to get loose sometimes. The wing comes off with just a few nuts and disconnecting the electrical connector after you get the plastic trim piece off.

$$$PIT
01-07-2012, 01:32 AM
Finally got around to pullin' my rear spoiler off and the grease in there looks like dark gray graphite grease and is not lubricating anything. I just got through cleaning most of it off and spraying everything down with PB blaster. Tomorrow I was goin' to spray it with some carb cleaner and re-grease everything. What kind of grease do you think I should use? I was thinkin' Lithium grease.

Hans@GZP
01-07-2012, 08:23 AM
It could also be a limit switch going bad. You can get them for a couple bux at radio shack. It's good to replace them anyways.

$$$PIT
01-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I guess, since I live in BFE, the local Radio Shack didn't have them. So I just cleaned it all up and re-greased it.

heptone182
01-09-2012, 07:47 PM
How'd it turn out?

$$$PIT
01-09-2012, 08:02 PM
How'd it turn out?

Don't know if it will work on auto yet. Waitin' for my IC piping to come back from the powder coater. :)
It works manually though. But, just once when the ignition is first turned on.