PDA

View Full Version : Help with front oil return line.

Zaroth
09-16-2010, 08:50 PM
So.. is there some secret voodoo magic to getting to this guy? I took apart my intercooler pipes, front heat shield on the turbo, and the intake for the turbo and I still can't reach around and get to the return line. I tryed from the under side and started removing the downpipe, but it got dark so I figured I would get some input before I did any more dissasembly.

Any tricks of the trade anybody wants to share with me, or should I just keep taking things apart until I figure out how to get to it?

DocWalt
09-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Which end?

Austin@STM
09-16-2010, 10:06 PM
You trying to replace it, or just get one end off?

Zaroth
09-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Trying to replace it. One of my friends dented it in a little bit when we were removing my oil pan to take the dent out. Having trouble getting to the end attached to the turbo.

SilverJester
09-16-2010, 11:13 PM
I don't remember it being difficult to get to...but maybe try removing the radiator and fans. That frees up a lot of room.

blindmist
09-17-2010, 12:15 AM
Oh yes, this is a pain. Good luck.

Zaroth
09-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Alright, I'll remove it today and see if that frees up the space I need to get to it.

blindmist
09-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Alright, I'll remove it today and see if that frees up the space I need to get to it.

You are still going to have issues even with the radiator and fans out of the way. Honestly, the best and easiest thing would be to unbolt the turbo from the manifold, unhook your oil feed and coolant feed and return, and since you are replacing the return line, just pry the turbo over for better access to those bolts.

Zaroth
09-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Uggh. Should I remove the turbo with the radiator in or should I just take all that out anyways? I guess it would be easier if I took the radiator out, but then I have to drain it and all that bs. I miss my garage.

DocWalt
09-17-2010, 07:31 PM
You can remove the turbo with the radiator in, but it's a royal pain. You may as well remove it.

SilverJester
09-18-2010, 12:08 AM
You will have to disconnect the turbo's water lines anyways if you plan on removing it so it'll all drain out then (which would be more of a mess then if you just drained the radiator).

blindmist
09-18-2010, 10:07 AM
You can remove the turbo with the radiator in, but it's a royal pain. You may as well remove it.

Agreed. The only real other way to do this is to remove the front motor mount and bracket.