PDA

View Full Version : FWD ATX Electronics don't match up between years, help needed.

Dbeltran24
09-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Here's my issue. I'm swapping my current '99 ATX for an older year ATX. Not sure what year. I've swapped most of the external ATX electronics over, but have a few that aren't the same.

First off is this part. From my '99 atx. I broke the gear removing it. Need a exact replacement. Anyone have one they are willing to sell?
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/dbeltran24/Car%20Parts/IMAG0278.jpg

This is the part that came out of the spare ATX. Unfortunately the connections are different and I can't use it with my harness.
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/dbeltran24/Car%20Parts/IMAG0279.jpg

Next issues are two of the connections pictured below.

The connector in the large circle on the right differs between the two ATXs. I think I can remove the snap ring that holds the large circle in place and swap the two parts. Can anyone confirm this?

Also the Connector on the bottom left are different. The 99 has a two prong plug and the spare has a 3 wire cable with a triangular 3 prong plug. How can I swap the 99 components over?

99 ATX
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/dbeltran24/Car%20Parts/IMAG0281.jpg

Spare ATX
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/dbeltran24/Car%20Parts/IMAG0282.jpg

Spare ATX wire plug
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/dbeltran24/Car%20Parts/IMAG0283.jpg

Dbeltran24
09-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Sorry for the poor quality pics. I can take better pics if needed.

Valhallaz
09-12-2011, 02:31 PM
OK, I have what you're looking for somewhere in the garage, but I also have another solution. I have new and in the box a MB622090 from Mitsubishi.
I was doing just what you did but in reverse. I needed the gear that the speedometer cable connected to, not the elecrtical sensor. After talking to Mitsubishi, I was convinced this was what I needed, but it was just the exact opposite. This part screws into the 2nd gear you showed, to turn it into the electronic sensor you showed as the one you need.
It goes for like $90, I'd let you have it for $65 shipped.
If that's too steep, I can look for the used one in the garage in the morning.

A pic of what I have connected to what you took out of your replacement trans.

Dbeltran24
09-12-2011, 02:44 PM
The less I have to spend the better. Mind looking for the used one. From what others have told me, this part seldomly needs to be replaced and usually lasts the life of the car. (except in my case, since I broke it during the removal).

How much for the used one?

Valhallaz
09-12-2011, 02:52 PM
I'll look in the morning, know I have it somewhere. How's $30 shipped sound?

Dbeltran24
09-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Sounds good to me. pm me your paypal address, once you find it. Thanks

Dbeltran24
09-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Any idea what I should do about the other two connectors that don't match?

Maximal
09-12-2011, 03:10 PM
The transmission computers are different at a certain point over the years also. I know I think they changed in 93 or 94 so that's something to look into also. If you're in that range I can look up the exact difference but I fried a TCU putting an older transmission into a newer car.

Dbeltran24
09-12-2011, 03:30 PM
The transmission computers are different at a certain point over the years also. I know I think they changed in 93 or 94 so that's something to look into also. If you're in that range I can look up the exact difference but I fried a TCU putting an older transmission into a newer car.

Thanks for the tip. I got the ATX from a member on here. I PM'ed him and am waiting for a response as to what year it was from.

Valhallaz
09-12-2011, 03:44 PM
K, that gear was easier to find than I thought it would be, but alas, is appears to have a shorter shaft than the one you need. Didn't notice your's in an ATX, and the one I have is for a manual tranny. I guess my only solution for you would be the new one, as that would fit what came out of the older trans. Good luck, whatever you decide.
If it turns out you need a trans computer, let me know. I may have one to work with your trans.

I could do $60 shipped on the new one, if that would help.

Hans@GZP
09-12-2011, 03:54 PM
You will want to swap over your shift solenoids, temp sensor, and the kick down servo (the big black plastic piece). If your valve body is still good, it may be easier to just swap them since you have to remove it to swap the temp sensors (and the solenoids are bolted to it).

DrGonzo
09-12-2011, 07:02 PM
The trans came out of a 92 Stealth.

Speedo gear is different as the 92 was mechanical as to where the later years are electrical.

Here is the for sale thread I had it listed in: 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center (http://www.3si.org/forum/f4/1st-gen-stealth-parts-sale-476833/)

As for the connectors I am not familiar with the 99 ATX trans but I know the TCU's are different.

Hans@GZP
09-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Ah, if it's a 92 trans, make sure you have the matching axles to go along with it.

I have a good 98 auto trans if you don't want to mess around with it :p

DrGonzo
09-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Yeah it's a true 92 ATX with the smaller axles.

Dbeltran24
09-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Aww Crap. Smaller axles too. Seriously need to think about how I should proceed.

If I swap over the shift solenoids, temp sensor, kick down servo, speedo gear, and valve body, do I still need to get a 92 TCU or will a 99 TCU work then?

Valhallaz - I'll get back to you about the speedo gear adapter, since I might just get a different ATX at this point.

Hanz - How many miles on the 98 ATX? Has it been rebuilt? How much for it?

DrGonzo - Thanks for chiming in.

Hans@GZP
09-14-2011, 12:48 PM
I pulled it out of a 98 SL with 112k miles on it. It worked just fine. I did a 5 speed swap on the car. $600 and it's yours. I'm not sure of the rebuild history on it.

The 99 tcu should work just fine with that trans after you swap over all of the crap.

kormex
10-03-2011, 05:57 PM
The "kickdown switch" the one with the 4 " round plastic cover is just a switch and can be easily switched to your replacement transmission. BTW this switch tells the computer that there is a change in gear taking place and the computer then lowers the line pressure to what they call " reducing pressure" , this is to give you a softer shift ,since this transmission doesnt have accumulators.

The other plug that goes into the case is a oil temperature sensor inside the trans .
This can also be replaced with your sensor by removing the oil pan and just installing the one off your old transmission.

Warning !
If your replacement transmission is from before 93 and your car is 93 and later , then you need to replace the lockup solenoid with a 93 and up type 14 ohm resistance .( the earlier one has 4 ohms). this to prevent your computer from getting damaged.

A way to tell by looking at the outside of the trans is :
There is a 4 wire connector comming out of the transmission case , if the red wire has a black stripe on it then its a 93 and later , if it doesnt then its an earlier one.

Hope that helps .

kormex
10-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Nevermind , I should have read the whole thread.
I just noticed that Hans had already replied with the same answers. BTW the the carrier assenbly can be replaced by removing the cover on the differential .

Dbeltran24
10-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

I've decided to take my 99 ATX to a shop to have it rebuilt.

If anyone needs a 92 ATX, send me a PM. No sense in keeping what I don't need.

Dbeltran24
12-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Update. Got the 99 ATX rebuilt and installed. My car is finally alive again.

IPD
12-28-2011, 07:43 PM
congrats. sucks that mitsubishi made the atx electronics so complex over the years. for the most part, 91-94 are only same-year swaps (regardless of engine type), 95-99 are dohc-only swaps or sohc-only swaps (no crossovers).

p.s.
$600 for a 112k FWD? damn, i did get a good deal on mine imported. :)

stealthee
12-28-2011, 08:10 PM
I came up with the same info. I started a thread on 3si because there were so many questions on what would work and what wouldin't. I have it bookmarked, but I won't go back over there. Anyone else is welcome to copy and paste it over here if there is suffecient information.

ATX Part Numbers and Fitment - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center (http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/atx-part-numbers-fitment-470545/)