PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain Drive Shaft missing CV boot

Roybatty
09-06-2011, 12:01 PM
I was changing my drivetrain oils to redline this weekend and noticed a remnance of what was a CV boot and grease spattered about 3/4s of way down from X-case to rear differential.

Has anyone used these products to fix or are there any reccomendations?

91 1991 Dodge Stealth CV Boot Kit - Driveshaft & Axle - EMPI, Dorman, Outer, Front Inner, Front Outer - PartsGeek (http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1991/dodge/stealth/driveshaft_-ar-_axle/cv_boot_kit.html)

Alan92RTTT
09-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Given you do not know how long the boot has been gone I would not just replace the boot.

When the boot lets go you will get dirt and other debris into the joint. If this dirt has not killed the joint yet it will. If I was you I would just replace the shaft.

Roybatty
09-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Hans from GZP identified the boot kit as MB837572 (Propeller shaft boot kit). Looks like this is what I need as long as there is no damage to the joint already. Also, it seems the propeller needs to come off to repair, =(. Fiscally I need to try the boot kit =(. Otherwise, could still fix/replace lobro joint or my druthers is the 2 piece aluminum =)

shmoo
09-08-2011, 03:09 AM
like alan said, there is probably dirt in the joint already. of course i'm not trying to boss you. but you can get a brand new axle for 73 i believe, with dauh dduhh duh huhhhh! lifetime warranty. at least that's what they told me when i picked one up. i bought two used axles prior to that for 60 bones or something. took that axle to ng. never looked at it after i put it on.. a month.5 ago i look down there to see the boot completely sheered.

when i put that used axle in there, i thought it looked fine. you read what happened. when i put the new axle in, it was so stiff i could hardly get it in. in other words. very nice.

_isiah

Roybatty
09-08-2011, 11:58 AM
like alan said, there is probably dirt in the joint already. of course i'm not trying to boss you. but you can get a brand new axle for 73 i believe...

This is the lobro joint on the propeller...boot kit is ~$64 dollars and joint kit is ~$354! Thats almost half way to the 2 piece aluminum DS. I saw Nelson has his old ACPT 1 piece CFDS on sale for $750...hmmmmmm.