PDA

View Full Version : Custom Flash Service?

Drummer
08-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Would it be feasible for someone who wants to do a flash ecu tune to send a detailed list of his build to someone and have that someone prepare a flash/flash a mailed ecu for a fee? Not sure if this can even be done considering errors in the build details, or that every car is different. Is it feasible, anyone doing this already? An emailed flash could be used by a customer if he is set up to flash or send the ecu to be flashed? Dunno, just thinkin out loud.

Jeff V.
08-24-2011, 11:20 AM
There is nothing in place to prevent people from 'sharing' those flashes, so I doubt you'll see many accomplished tuners effectively giving their work away.

dbest671
08-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Would it be feasible for someone who wants to do a flash ecu tune to send a detailed list of his build to someone and have that someone prepare a flash/flash a mailed ecu for a fee? Not sure if this can even be done considering errors in the build details, or that every car is different. Is it feasible, anyone doing this already? An emailed flash could be used by a customer if he is set up to flash or send the ecu to be flashed? Dunno, just thinkin out loud.

Are you talking about any platform... if so than yes. DCX depot did that for a Challenger. You send them the general information of mods done to the car, they make a custom tune and email it to you. Then you do some logging, and email them the results, they will tweek the tune. You get three tweeks before you have to pay again. But I believe the tunes were "locked" meaning you couldn't see the perimeters.

TurboSinceBirth
08-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Mellon does this type of service for the EVOs. I don't think you'll see it for the 3S until they can be locked at least if they're for a fee. You may find someone generous enough to make something for you.

Drummer
08-24-2011, 10:06 PM
I guess you could share a tune if your build is identical to the one that someone will give you.

99 vr4
08-25-2011, 03:01 PM
There is the ability to effectivly "LOCK" an ECU so that the user can not read the tune . . . but it also means the user can not flash a tune as well. So this locking will be limited to cars that can be tuned by the tuner and be revisted by that same tuner for subsequent re-tunes. This is a hardware lock that I have developed so that "pay per tune" services can not be freely shared.

KeithMac
08-27-2011, 02:58 PM
I can understand the reasons behind locking the ecu`s/ tunes but if I`d paid good money for a tune and someone locked my ecu I would deffinitely not be very happy about it!.

mb7050
08-27-2011, 03:26 PM
I think mellon does

dbest671
08-27-2011, 03:30 PM
I can understand the reasons behind locking the ecu`s/ tunes but if I`d paid good money for a tune and someone locked my ecu I would deffinitely not be very happy about it!.

I don't know how it works on other platforms, but it don't lock the "ECU". It blocks you from being able to see/change their custom tune. So really the only thing "locked" is their tune. With the challenger, if I wanted to "adjust" something, I would have to reload the factory tune and go from there.

99 vr4
08-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Thats correct.. But on this ecu we lock the ecu. If you want the lock removed it's free but so is the factory tune that is reloaded with the removal of the "lock".

dbest671
08-27-2011, 09:17 PM
I totally agree with the tune being locked. I could see a dumbass trying to change something, mess up the car, and then blame the tuner. I mean if you pay for cable you can't share it with everybody in the neighborhood.

VR-4 0wnz j00
08-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Wolf and Ash for 300ZXs sell flashed chips for their ECU's. Its common on most platforms except for ours.

GTOJOE
08-29-2011, 07:06 PM
It is something lacking in our platform. I changed the rom chip on an ECU for 1987 Holden. SO why it can't be done on ours I dunno...... I guess the soldering is much finer than the old 80s one I just did lol.

mojo3120
09-14-2011, 09:10 AM
It is something lacking in our platform. I changed the rom chip on an ECU for 1987 Holden. SO why it can't be done on ours I dunno...... I guess the soldering is much finer than the old 80s one I just did lol.

bc our ECU's don't use EPROM's

GTOJOE
09-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Even if it was a single write chip it would be better than nothing. The chip I changed was not flashable. It just had a new fuel map etc for higher octane fuel already written to it.

mojo3120
09-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Even if it was a single write chip it would be better than nothing. The chip I changed was not flashable. It just had a new fuel map etc for higher octane fuel already written to it.

There's not a dedicated ROM where the code is stored, it's integrated into the other components somewhere (not exactly sure where).

Flashing Eprom's sounds like a huge pita anyway though, even if it was socketed. I can't imagine having to pull the damn ecu every time I wanted to make a change to the tune.

Jesters Deadd
10-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Why not just buy a cable?
opps old conversation....