PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do Here....?

Nihil
08-02-2011, 12:15 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/prevailingevils/Scraps/2011-08-01184511.jpg

Originally I was gonna go with Cianci...but, like many of us know (unless something's changed and I haven't heard) that's risky business...my only other option is to go with a factory replacement I guess...?

Cianci would be the easiest repair and cost $405 shipped off Ebay
Factory Would be $544 shipped and be second easiest (if you wanna say that)
Or Sawzalled Quarter Panel from ebay for $235 shipped and take a lot of cleaning up to do around the edges to remove excess body panel

...orrrr...you could always go with more bondo like previously lol (no thanks!)

Roybatty
08-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Ouch! thats purty. get something from scrap yard.

DanEboy5
08-02-2011, 12:24 AM
The cheapest and quickest way would be to grind all the filler out, hammer/dolley the metal as strait as you can get, fill with lead or mig some patches in, and complete with filler. You want the filler/bondo to be about 1/8" or less for maximum life. I have fixed much worse than what you have here with awesome results.

Nihil
08-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Yeah, there's no junyards here...well, there is but they're all LKQ and want close to factory pricing to get something...

And I have no welder either, don't know how to weld so that's not an option either...plus, to beat that as straight as possible and match the original curves and contours...good luck with that...I think it'd be easier to get a sawzall replacement for the money, that shit is HAGGARD! lol

mb3000
08-02-2011, 12:37 AM
The best way to buy a Cianci product is to buy from a middle man, who has said product in stock.

Nihil
08-02-2011, 12:40 AM
That's what I was thinking, but I thought (last I read anything, anyway) was 3SX was taking peoples orders, then sending the order to Cianci and they were shipping direct from warehouse to customer? I noticed on Ebay, the location says San Diego and would take 5-7 business days to arrive, which made me wonder if they were state side as well.

Any suggestions on where to go for a reliable source would be much appreciated

DanEboy5
08-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Yeah, there's no junyards here...well, there is but they're all LKQ and want close to factory pricing to get something...

And I have no welder either, don't know how to weld so that's not an option either...plus, to beat that as straight as possible and match the original curves and contours...good luck with that...I think it'd be easier to get a sawzall replacement for the money, that shit is HAGGARD! lol

The curves are minimal compared to a VW Beetle or a '55 Chevy or a '54 Caddy...all of which I have fixed/repaired. I prefer curves to straight panels. The eye see's more defects in straight panels. Any good bodyman will tell you that. Go ahead and give it a shot...you can't make it any worse right?

Nihil
08-02-2011, 12:48 AM
It's not the curves, it's the body lines, and that picture is hard to see it, but that shiz is effed up, it's been pulled and is almost a square corner...with my skill level, I think I'd be better to go with something OEM, I was thinkin maybe I could find someone to just sawzall the piece I need, instead of the entire quarter panel, then just cut out the bad part and replace with a good piece, that way I'd be keeping all the body shaping to a minimum

RealMcCoy
08-02-2011, 01:11 AM
How are you going to replace a quarter panel without a welder?

DanEboy5
08-02-2011, 01:12 AM
It's not the curves, it's the body lines, and that picture is hard to see it, but that shiz is effed up, it's been pulled and is almost a square corner...with my skill level, I think I'd be better to go with something OEM, I was thinkin maybe I could find someone to just sawzall the piece I need, instead of the entire quarter panel, then just cut out the bad part and replace with a good piece, that way I'd be keeping all the body shaping to a minimum

With that said, how are you planning on installing the panel at your skill level? I am just curious as to how your planning this. Get a panel from someone on the board and find someone who can mig weld it for you.

Nihil
08-02-2011, 01:18 AM
Most of the structural fastening is done with panel bonding adhesives rather than the tack welds, so I think it'd be okay with just that, that's how the Cianci kit is fastened on...

I've been looking for a cheap welder, but the only ones that run off 110 are the flux welders and I used one of those once and all I got was splatter, so I dunno if I wanna waste the money on one of those

DrGonzo
08-02-2011, 08:45 AM
I'm building my entire trailer with a Harbor Freight 110v Flux Core Welder: http://www.3sgto.org/f2/stealth-trailer-build-5876.html

But considering your doing sheet metal "Body Panels" the 110volt would not work to well. I have a hard time welding sheet metal as the low setting is still to much amperage and burns through.

Roybatty
08-02-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm building my entire trailer with a Harbor Freight 110v Flux Core Welder: http://www.3sgto.org/f2/stealth-trailer-build-5876.html

But considering your doing sheet metal "Body Panels" the 110volt would not work to well. I have a hard time welding sheet metal as the low setting is still to much amperage and burns through.

That trailer looks cool. I was going to suggest the OP borrow a welder...but I tried this once. You can actually get the 3-phase to work on a standard home electric outlet, but I believe I still had power issues. I tried reading up and practiced welding to fix a whole on my exhaust, wasn't worth the effort imho, something you would need to get training on. I was using the welding rods and the grounding. When the juice was turned up significantly I could produce a blob fairly well, but I can't imagine doing a seam.

Nihil
08-02-2011, 04:22 PM
I'd think you should be able to weld thinner metals with a 110v I know, regardless, you cant just weld a seam continuously, you have to make small tacks and move around, other wise you'll blow through and warp

Psychotron
08-03-2011, 09:58 AM
I would stick with trying to obtain the cianci pannels, they pop up used and never installed in the classifieds all the time, thats where I got mine.

Nihil
08-03-2011, 10:26 AM
I've only seen'em in the classifieds a few times, I've been lookin...I'll probably end up goin with a stock replacement, it'll be the cheapest way, but the hardest fix...and I won't have to do the front fenders to get everything to match up...we'll see what happens I guess

IPD
08-03-2011, 10:43 AM
option c. make your own widebody. :)

Nihil
08-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Yeah, I've been stuck on fiberglassforums.com n other places, I don't have the time nor money to fund something like that, I wish I did...it'd be nice to design something and be able to offer it to the community too. Fiberglass sounds appealing to me too, for the fact you won't get door dings from asshole rednecks who like to park as close as they can to your car then let their kid swing the door open into your car

IPD
08-03-2011, 11:27 AM
not FG. welded. and to make sure they're symmetrical, you can stack them before installing them. :)

Nihil
08-03-2011, 05:10 PM
I don't know how well that'd work, not to mention, the cheapest I've found a quarter panel for is about $250 shipped for one side...

TUFFTR
08-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Get a hammer and dolly set, watch some DIY youtube videos, and watch how you CAN get that panel close to straight. I'dve seen it done. Small steps, bit by bit and she'll take shape. You say you don't have a welder or experience so why not do it that way? Takes a bit of practice but you'll get it. Once its decently straight, filler it, and start sanding. Much easier then replacing a whole panel making sure its straight etc....

Nihil
08-04-2011, 08:51 PM
I've got body work experience, just not enough to get that panel to perfection, and I'm a perfectionist and wont be able to handle seein any wibbles in an otherwise perfect car.

Unless anyone knows of some cianci panels for a good price, I'm gonna go with OEM off ebay

TUFFTR
08-05-2011, 02:45 AM
mate if you buy a few planes ($20 each maybe need 2? one stiff one flexi) and use guide coat everytime you will have ZERO wibbles! like I said watch a few youtube videos I'm SURE there are some demo's

cjbyron
08-05-2011, 12:41 PM
If you want a quarter panel you can have one off of a wrecked 95 I have here. You have to take it off though.
And if you trailer your car at the same time you can tack it on with my welder if you want. Not a problem.
I know I am not real close but not all that far away.
Not sure if that helps, just offering.

CoopKill
08-05-2011, 01:01 PM
I would replace the whole or cut and weld part of the quarter. I had to do this with mine (with help) as well... Check the 6 Hr Surgery thread on the local site...

You will end up doing the same amount of body work with the wide body fenders as you will with a new/partial quarter.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZLb1vDYCdTQ/S9DmBt7M7ZI/AAAAAAAAJL8/O6xfPy3C4Qg/s640/0420101459a.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XKMX4TN5WL4/S9DmI8rbaSI/AAAAAAAAJMQ/MW0HuGetA7Q/s640/0420101743a.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1bpfLxDKTiU/S9DmMh6W6NI/AAAAAAAAJMc/PM8nBVywTRA/s640/0420101825a.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-fiNaHjPi1fo/S9DmTQGg0lI/AAAAAAAAJM0/_5mqpoV5CkA/s640/0420101923a.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-wc6-mIQk-Ho/TFuBo92lVzI/AAAAAAAAJ1E/wcvDNAwXhSM/s720/DSC_6103.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cMXvcBPNCzQ/S9Do9_S4_AI/AAAAAAAAJNA/kd19qeTM7hk/s1152/damage.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-n3tg5wsMH9s/TGcGIXJwcxI/AAAAAAAAJ7E/v1yQIftPiPk/s720/home-from-paint-web.jpg

stealthify
08-05-2011, 01:50 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-n3tg5wsMH9s/TGcGIXJwcxI/AAAAAAAAJ7E/v1yQIftPiPk/s720/home-from-paint-web.jpg

That looks great man, nice work!

Nihil
08-06-2011, 02:59 AM
If you want a quarter panel you can have one off of a wrecked 95 I have here. You have to take it off though.
And if you trailer your car at the same time you can tack it on with my welder if you want. Not a problem.
I know I am not real close but not all that far away.
Not sure if that helps, just offering.

Thanks Craig, but I think it'd cost me the same amount in gas as it would just to buy a panel from ebay...If I had time and extra money I'd be down, I could finally meet all the "local" guys and check everyone's cars out

I would replace the whole or cut and weld part of the quarter. I had to do this with mine (with help) as well... Check the 6 Hr Surgery thread on the local site...

You will end up doing the same amount of body work with the wide body fenders as you will with a new/partial quarter.

That turned out awesomely well. I was thinking of just finding someone to cut most of the panel and doing what you did, but I don't think I'd be able to find someone to do that, I'll have to buy one off ebay...When I do mine, I'm gonna go for the entire panel replacement...it's gonna be a lot of work, I know...I think the overlays would be a lot easier, glue'em on, feather the edges and prep for paint, second hardest, I'm thinkin would be what I'm gonna attempt, and the hardest would be the way you did, since you have to weld the entire thing in to seam it up, then grind it all and smooth it out so much, until it's perfect.

...I hate body work...It's gotta be THEEE hardest thing to do in the auto industry