PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum issue causing trim codes

drb5721
07-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I have a 96 SL and I'm throwing codes for fuel trim in both banks 1 and 2. I hear a faint whistle at times under half throttle which is most definitely a vacuum leak. The EGR valve has 2 hoses that come off and go to a solenoid. There is a "T" fitting that connects the top egr hose to two solenoids. if i pinch the hose running to the black solenoid circled in the attached pic it causes the engine to bog down BAD. if i unplug it and pinch it, it still causes it to bog down, just not too much. I will mark the hoses in the pic...

The blue circle is the solenoid the hose in question goes to.

The purple line is the hose you can pinch(plugged up or not) and it bogs the motor.

The red circle is the "T" fitting that splits the top egr hose to the two solenoids.

The green line show the route the other part of the hose takes to the second
solenoid(which is hard to see because of the hoses blocking it).

The white line is the bottom egr hose that runs to the solenoid in question.

Basically there is vacuum being pulled through the hose you can pinch at all times...is there supposed to be constant vacuum there?

drb5721
08-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Nobody seen this before? haha.
I am thinking I will start unplugging vacuum lines to see if I can find a clog. May even pull the egr valve if i have to.
Since this is a 96 i know a block off plate would cause a code...but would it still cause me to run rich?
When i crank the car i can look on the ground behind it and see where some black soot like stuff is on the ground. Also if i get on the car and shit in higher rpms there is black smoke coming out, which shows up on my bumber and tail lights.