PDA

View Full Version : Changing Harmonic Balancer that separated

OscarTheGrouch
07-01-2011, 04:58 PM
How big of a pain in the ass is this likely to be? Online guide somewhere? Got a deal on one from Amazon that will be here tomorrow.. FINALLY..

IPD
07-01-2011, 05:22 PM
afaik, it's not that big of a PITA. impact wrench can help to get the old one off. just make sure you don't mess up your timing.

n2nsanity
07-03-2011, 02:56 AM
another common method is to disconnect the coil pack or ptu, put a 1/2" breaker bar on the bolt and tap the starter (might need pipe on breaker bar if it's not long enough)
if you're using an aftermarket or udp you pretty much need to use an impact wrench to reinstall the bolt
if you don't have one, not sure how well this would work, but you could probably tighten it with the wheels on the ground in gear
if you're reinstalling an oem crank pulley, i'd recommend the proper tool
someone on here is selling them - http://www.3sgto.org/f62/crank-pully-tool-1481.html
i made my own version a while ago, and for less than $10, but you need access to a drill press. it's not perfect, but it works

FF_Knight_84
07-08-2011, 10:19 PM
When I did my 60k I used an electric impact wrench to get the bolt off, which was the biggest pain in the ass. Tried a couple times with a long bar, but I believe I kept turning the crank.

BaadVR4
07-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Just get oohnoo's tool and use however long a breaker bar is needed. DO NOT use an impact wrench to install the new one. Use anti-seize on the bolt and torque the bolt to the proper spec (available in the Mitsu tech manual). The alternator/AC belt and PS belt have to be removed first, but the timing is not disturbed. Good luck.

stealthee
07-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Removal and reinstall are cake.

With the car in the air, make sure the car is in gear, and place a bar of some sort in the vane of the rotor so that when you go to loosen (or tighten) the bolt the bar hits against the caliper mount and holds it so you can break it loose (or tighten it)

I've done this multiple times and it works every time.