PDA

View Full Version : ac help

mtpockets20
06-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Hey, i recently purchased a 92 sl, which ac wasnt working when i bought. so i evacuated the system an purchased that envirosafe crap. well that stuff sucks the coldest it got was maybe 65,than it leaked out so i put a half can of that artic freeze from walmart in it, an the ac was ice cold for roughly 2-3 weeks, i drove it to the store, working fine. left the store an couldnt get the ac to work, figured the leak got bigger, so i than put leak detector in it an a little more 134a, an it wont work at all now, the gauge that came with the can i bought says its full an i check the system daily to see if its leaked out but hasnt, just blows hot air, the compressor is on(clutch engages). I only know a little about our ac systems i need someone to help me, i live in florida an its blazing here, i also have a black car which doesnt help.

btw i cant find any of the leak detector anywhere in the car to suggest a leak

thanks in advance

n2nsanity
07-05-2011, 01:34 PM
no flashing lights on the ac switch?
digital or manual climate control?
if you're sure the clutch is engaging and compressor is working properly, i'd check your blend door
sucks you have to remove the dash to replace it, but i think you can crawl under and test it with the dash in

you probably already know this, but 91, 92 compressors are different models and designed for r12 which is a different oil and designed for different pressure
by adding r134 and not changing out the compressor, the pressure switches in the compressor might not be working properly even tho clutch is engaged

to do a proper r134 conversion, you should be replacing at least the compressor and accumulator/drier
you can probably get away with reusing the old lines, condensor and evap core
but if you're already spending the $ on a new or rebuilt r134 compressor, i'd recommend replacing everything but the lines

ton of writeups out there for the conversion

Alex3000gt
07-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Any updates on this?

mtpockets20
07-12-2011, 01:05 PM
it has a leak. just cant find it an leak detector isnt showing it. when i put 134a in it turn the car off an listen you can hear a hissing sound coming from down towards the comrpessor. but cant find the leak.

mtpockets20
07-12-2011, 10:40 PM
ok i believe i found the leak, i have dye surrounding these two things on my compressor, although i have no i dea what they are for an weather they could be changed. anyone could shed some light as to what these things are circled an if they can be changed or do i need a new compressor id really appreciate it, thank you

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa168/leggomieggo10/12.jpg

Alex3000gt
07-13-2011, 10:47 PM
I am curious too. Bump.

mtpockets20
07-14-2011, 09:30 PM
ok so i just took my compressor, than i pulled that thing out (the one circled closer to the right compressor) it has like 3 orings on it, i noticed they were all jacked up so i put new orings on it put it back in an fixed my leak, although the system is full an still blowing outside air. fml always something

vr3.9
07-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Did you pull a vacuum and it did hold vacuum?

mtpockets20
07-15-2011, 01:51 PM
no because i mainly wanted to see if i fixed the leak. which i did because it hasnt lost any 134a, so im buying this machine from harbor freight today to pull a vacuum, do you have any idea how it works???

Air Vacuum Pump with R134A and R12 Connectors (http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html)

im also waiting on my new drier in the mail.

n2nsanity
07-15-2011, 02:14 PM
i have one of those, lol. haven't used it yet tho
you hook up an air compressor to the T or something
mine seemed to be missing some pieces, so i didn't mess with it
the dual line guage is probably more useful
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/160x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2519.jpg

be sure to also check the connections at the condenser

mtpockets20
07-15-2011, 08:43 PM
i have those gauges, but they dont pull a vacuum. they just read your pressure

MajorWedgee
07-15-2011, 11:37 PM
ok i believe i found the leak, i have dye surrounding these two things on my compressor, although i have no i dea what they are for an weather they could be changed. anyone could shed some light as to what these things are circled an if they can be changed or do i need a new compressor id really appreciate it, thank you

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa168/leggomieggo10/12.jpg

The one on the right is the high pressure relief valve, not sure on the other.

93STLTH
07-16-2011, 06:04 PM
You never answered n2nsanity's question about changing the compressor. If you're trying to put r134 gas in a compressor designed for r12 freon, then you've probably messed up your AC system.

vr3.9
07-16-2011, 07:24 PM
just put in pag 46 oil. The compressor doesn't care if you us r12 or 134a. Very few cars are left running r12 but they still use the same compressor.

n2nsanity
07-17-2011, 02:10 AM
you can definitely get away with just flushing the system and adding 134 and pag oil
supposed to change out the compressor and drier tho, or at least a thorough cleaning and new seals in the old compressor
not sure what effect, if any, the 134 would have on the old compressor or sensors
also never hurts to change out the drier, that's like an oil filter, but for ac system

there's some guys on ebay that reman compressors for < $200
but keep in mind, not having receipts because you did the work yourself, usually voids the warranty

wow, $400 for a new one. cheapest new i've seen yet
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-GENUINE-OEM-AC-COMPRESSOR-CLUTCH-3000GT-DIAMANTE-/300539459736?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A3000GT&hash=item45f98c3898#ht_2797wt_1165

vr3.9
07-17-2011, 02:48 AM
If you change the compressor you need to change the drier or yes it voids the warranty.

You might want to give these guys a call

G.A.C Auto Compressor Supply (http://www.gaccompressor.com/)

I deal with them all the time, in fact picked up a rebuilt one today. Tell them Mike sent you. They just got in 25 cores to rebuild. They're getting harder to find. The fact is if you still have your original compressor it's probably lost a lot.

rebuilt compressor plus 4 ounces Pag 46 plus new drier plus good evacuation and refill = nice cold AC. Unless your expansion valve is plugged or you have a leak.

mtpockets20
07-17-2011, 12:59 PM
The one on the right is the high pressure relief valve, not sure on the other.

i was told the thing on the bottom, the one i dont have circled is the high pressure relief.

anyways i did change all my orings out before converted, did not add any pag oil though, just added refrigerant an it worked fine for 1 month or so, than if formed a leak in the thing i have circled so i pulled it out an it had 3 orings on it that were tore up so i changed those out an just added r134a, didnt pull a vacuum, i have no leaks but im still blowing hot air, my compressor is fine, kicks on when it should when the car is off the pressure readings are equal an when your running about 2k rpms it reads different on each side, all that indicates a perfect compressor. im assuming its blowing hot air because i didnt vacuum or change the drier. atelast thats what im hoping. god please im tired of wasting money on this shit

mtpockets20
07-18-2011, 02:46 PM
can anyone show me the expansion valve, like find it on ebay. when i looked i found something that i dont have any idea what it is, i want to buy it but make sure i have the right part. thank you

DrGonzo
07-18-2011, 04:11 PM
The expansion valve is located in the evaporator core under the pass dash in the black box connected to the fan blower assembly.

On your image of the compressor. the lower silver one is the High pressure relief valve, The one with wires its the pressure sensor. The larger one in the middle I believe is just a service point. The one on top is the revolution sensor.

get rid of that crap gauge that came with the can. Those damn things never read right. Get a set of gauges like n2nsanity posted from HF. Don't use your A/C system until you are sure you have not over filled your system. if it is over charged then you risk blowing the relief valve and then your screwed as they don't reset after they release.

An over charged system will cause it to blow hot air as the system is unable to cool off due to being over charged. If the system was open to the atmosphere for a long period of time then it needs to be completely flushed, the expansion valve, receiver dryer and all o-rings need to be replaced. Both r-12 and r-134 become acid when mixed with the moisture in the air. If the system was open to long and moisture got in the receiver dryer is bad and not able to absorb any more moisture, you now have traces of acid in the system eating away at the seals and valves.

If you have it apart, flush the system, replace all seals, valve and dryer, evacuate the system and let it sit for 24 hours. If it is able to hold the vacuum then charge the system to what is stated in the service manual "think minus 5-9psi as the service manual is for r-12" and it should work fine.

vr3.9
07-18-2011, 04:23 PM
i was told the thing on the bottom, the one i dont have circled is the high pressure relief.

anyways i did change all my orings out before converted, did not add any pag oil though, just added refrigerant an it worked fine for 1 month or so, than if formed a leak in the thing i have circled so i pulled it out an it had 3 orings on it that were tore up so i changed those out an just added r134a, didnt pull a vacuum, i have no leaks but im still blowing hot air, my compressor is fine, kicks on when it should when the car is off the pressure readings are equal an when your running about 2k rpms it reads different on each side, all that indicates a perfect compressor. im assuming its blowing hot air because i didnt vacuum or change the drier. atelast thats what im hoping. god please im tired of wasting money on this shit

there's your problem.

either get a vacuum pump or take it somewhere and have it done. I like to leave it evacuating at least for an hour to boil out any moisture.

leggomieggo10
07-18-2011, 07:00 PM
i understand what my problem is. i also have a set of gauges. i have no leaks. im just trying to figure out what the expansion valve is

i found this, is this the right part

BRAND NEW AUTOMOTIVE A/C EXPANSION VALVE 10034 | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND-NEW-AUTOMOTIVE-A-C-EXPANSION-VALVE-10034-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3a3000GTQQhashZitem3 cb9682156QQitemZ260808646998QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTr uckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories)

vr3.9
07-18-2011, 09:14 PM
yep, that's an expansion valve. If it fits are not you'll just have to trust the seller on that. To replace the expansion vavle you have to pull the evaporator.
Pull the glove box and under dash passanger side stuff. You have to take the hoses off the firewall side and I think theres a bolt too. It's not a horrible job. You will see the expansion valve mounted on the evaporator.

mtpockets20
07-19-2011, 09:16 AM
ok thanks for verifying, i double checked with the seller an he said it fits. so i should leave the vacuum on the system for an hour, does it just hook the low pressure side an suck all the crap out or what?

ill look up more instructions on how to remove the expansion valve.

DrGonzo
07-19-2011, 10:03 AM
I hook it to both sides and pull vacuum. Doesn't really matter when pulling vacuum as long as you get all the air out.

leggomieggo10
07-24-2011, 06:44 PM
well. i hate this ac system, i pulled a vacuum on it, instructions said to leave it vacuuming for 10 min, i did that. got it down to -40 psi. i put a can an a half in it an its at 0 psi according to a set of real ac gauges. but still no ac. im just checking to confirm if this sounds right. should i just keep adding freon??

btw, the expansion valve can eat my ass. i spent a total of 7 hours changing it. mr mich ultra was there to help though

Alex3000gt
07-26-2011, 11:20 PM
-40 PSI is impossible. -14.7 PSI is the theoretical perfect vacuum at sea level, but you would never get there in reality.

If you put a can of refrigerant in your system and are still at 0PSI then you have a very bad leak somewhere.

Chris@Rvengeperformance
07-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Im sure he means inches of mercury. My pump pulls down to -30 inches or so. I pull for 45 minutes. Then I close the valves and leave for twenty minutes. If the vacuum holds I then consider the system leak free.

You sure that can us empty? 1 can doesn't provide much, if any cooling, but you should have 30 psi or more in the high side at least. Did the compressor kick in. If you need some help after hours shoot me a pm and ill give you my cell number.

I've worked on ac quite a bit.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mtpockets20
07-28-2011, 09:36 PM
alex, huge leak i found.

forestgump, i may take you up on your offer. you have helped me alot through out this fiasco.. as of right now. i guess when i changed the expansion valve i bent the tube that comes from the fire wall an it created a hole. so as soon as i put freon in it just blew right out lol. why am i having such a hard time with this damn ac. anyways i jb welded the shit out of the hole,i think it will hold.

when i pulled a vacuum the gauge read negative 40. im not sure if its psi or what to be honest with you.

im pull another vacuum an she how it goes this weekend.

its freakin hot out too

Chris@Rvengeperformance
07-29-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm afraid I'd get another valve or get the tube brazed at a welding shop. The a/c is under tremendous pressure and vibration, jb weld isn't going to hold IMHO.

mtpockets20
07-29-2011, 09:11 PM
im gonna try my luck because my first thought was just to get a used one. but in order to get that one pipe out you have to pull the dash an disassemble the entire ac system under there. jb weld is pretty strong it holds high pressure relief valves pretty good lol

Protoss3000gt
09-11-2013, 08:49 AM
i know this is an old thread but my issue is on the same topic i have a 95 3000gt base model i put a new compressor on and im getting ready to charge the system but i know you have to bypass a relay or something in order to charge the system and a/c systems is one of the few things i just do not understand so any help would be amazing