PDA

View Full Version : AWD Input Shaft Bearing Replacement

DrGonzo
06-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks to Hans and Emilie with GZP I was finally able to get a new input shaft bearing to fix that damn trans rattle that is driving me nuts. Thanks Again!!!

I have never opened a trans up but was told there is not much to swapping out the input shaft bearing. Anything I should look out for or anything special I need to do?

Do I need a press to get the bearing in and out or is this something a rubber mallet will take care of :). there is a machine shop down the road that does this type of stuff but if I can manage it with normal hand tools I would rather save the cost.

Any tips or tricks are appreciated.

Hans@GZP
06-17-2011, 10:25 PM
You should be able to tap it in since a c clip holds it in place. Just pull the shifter shaft out of the trans and unbolt the bell housing. When reinstalling the shifter shaft, put some grease on the spring to keep it from falling off the shaft.

DrGonzo
06-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Shifter in neutral correct? Then just unbolt and pull out?

I don't have to worry about anything inside the trans falling out when I separate the bell housing right?

I have the Trans Service Manual but the details are not the best for each step.

3S Image Gallery - Manuals/3S_AWD_trans_service_manua (http://3s.gonzoinc.com/displayimage.php?pos=-450)

Hans@GZP
06-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Lay the trans so you are pulling the shaft out sideways and not vertical so the spring on the bottom of the shaft doesn't fall off. Keep the trans in neutral. There is also a 13mm guide bolt that should be backed out before reinstalling the shifter.

Nothing will fall out when pulling off the bell housing except for maybe the front diff. But you can figure out how to put that back in lol

DrGonzo
06-17-2011, 10:43 PM
I hope I can figure it out... LOL

Had a bad experience with a 3s ATX. Had to replace the valve body on the trans. unbolted it and all the damn valve check balls fell out :(. I spent weeks trying to figure out where those damn check balls went. Got it back together to find out it was the pump that was bad... I swore off ATX trans in a 3s ever since...LOL

RealMcCoy
06-17-2011, 10:47 PM
I'd recommend a press personally... I used to knock them in with a bushing driver and hammer until one day I screwed myself and broke one that I didn't have a replacement for. The shock of driving it in damaged the plastic cage holding the rollers. I don't take the risk anymore.

Hans@GZP
06-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Only fuck with the 10mm bolts on a valve body. The smaller ones hold it all together lol. This job is much less complicated.

RealMcCoy
06-17-2011, 10:57 PM
I hope I can figure it out... LOL

Had a bad experience with a 3s ATX. Had to replace the valve body on the trans. unbolted it and all the damn valve check balls fell out :(. I spent weeks trying to figure out where those damn check balls went. Got it back together to find out it was the pump that was bad... I swore off ATX trans in a 3s ever since...LOL

I spent many years as an auto trans builder, so I can easily visualize what you did... You'll have to forgive me for laughing, I can just imagine the Oh F---! that that produced... :D

DrGonzo
06-17-2011, 11:28 PM
I'd recommend a press personally... I used to knock them in with a bushing driver and hammer until one day I screwed myself and broke one that I didn't have a replacement for. The shock of driving it in damaged the plastic cage holding the rollers. I don't take the risk anymore.

I won't be banging it in with the plastic cage. I'll make a shaft to slide over it out of pipe or something so I can bang it in only on the metal part. Basically the same tool that they would use to press it it.

Only fuck with the 10mm bolts on a valve body. The smaller ones hold it all together lol. This job is much less complicated.

Yeah, wish I knew that back then...LMAO

I spent many years as an auto trans builder, so I can easily visualize what you did... You'll have to forgive me for laughing, I can just imagine the Oh F---! that that produced... :D

Back then I just dove into everything without researching first. I broke more than I fixed. I laugh myself know when looking back at it! :)

RealMcCoy
06-17-2011, 11:33 PM
I won't be banging it in with the plastic cage. I'll make a shaft to slide over it out of pipe or something so I can bang it in only on the metal part. Basically the same tool that they would use to press it it.

That was primarily what I was doing... The inertia of the rollers broke the plastic. Until it happend to me, I never even considered the possibility.