PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain Starter issue

Valhallaz
06-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Some months back my starter chewed up the ring gear on my Fidenza flywheel. Replaced the starter with a fresh Denso, and the flywheel with an Aasco aluminum unit from C3 motorsports (all I've read about the Aasco flywheel is excellent).
Now, after maybe 3 months of flawless starting, it's doing it again. I'll be removing the starter in about an hour once the car cools down, but like last time, I don't expect to see anything but a chewed starter ring on a new $400 flywheel...
What the hell?
Does anyone replace just the starter ring, or am I on the hook for another flywheel?
Any thoughts on WHY this is happening? The bell housing looks perfect, don't see how the starter can be out of place at all...
Any advice would be appreciated.

Valhallaz
06-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Bump for ideas...

j2k4
06-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Bump for ideas...

Genesis has to be starter drive geometry, I think.

My car has a new starter (installed just prior to my purchase), but, if I had your problem, I'd probably find a known good-working used unit and refurb it myself, rather than buy new/OEM.

It might also pay to make sure the drive isn't mfrd in China - everything they make out of steel is utter crap, these days.

Edit-

Maybe I'm biased, but you might ask me how many Chinese-made front wheel bearings I've gone through with my wife's Pontiac Montana in the past year.

Okay, I'll tell you - it's going in for the sixth one tomorrow.

There is nothing at all wrong with anything else on the vehicle.

n2nsanity
06-13-2011, 04:27 PM
u sure u have the right starter? or that its throwing out all the way? u can get it tested for free at most auto stores

i recently had a brand new starter, that ended up being an auto starter
was in the right box and had the right part # stamped on it
but, it was the wrong one
i compared it to an actual mtx starter and it was about a 1/4" shorter

it's a possibility i'd look into

j2k4
06-13-2011, 04:46 PM
u sure u have the right starter? or that its throwing out all the way? u can get it tested for free at most auto stores

i recently had a brand new starter, that ended up being an auto starter
was in the right box and had the right part # stamped on it
but, it was the wrong one
i compared it to an actual mtx starter and it was about a 1/4" shorter

it's a possibility i'd look into

Yeah, check casting/stamping #s.

n2nsanity
06-13-2011, 07:28 PM
and compare it with a known good one
there's an 8mm nose length difference between atx and mtx starters

Valhallaz
06-13-2011, 10:20 PM
It's the right starter. I have several in the garage, both auto and manual, so I compared them before I ever installed it. Just wanted to use a new one because of the previous problem.
On examination, the starter is clearly engaging fully, and the chewing is on the edge of the ring gear that faces the starter, I'm thinking it's in the disengagement rather than the engagement when the damage is happening. I've shimmed it out a little bit, and it doesn't seem to be doing the grinding it's been, although I can hear where it's hitting the couple chewed spots. So I'll wind up replacing the ring regardless. I see no damage at all to the starter.
I think I'm going to wait a little bit before I have the starter ring replaced, to see that it doesn't just come back.
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.