PDA

View Full Version : fan help

ntcmpjg
06-08-2011, 07:58 PM
I tested the fan and it turns on when hooked to direct power. but when it gets hot it doesn't do anything. I tested the temp sensor on the water neck housing works fine. WTF am I am I missing? I also replaced the HOGH Fan relay didn't do anything

RealMcCoy
06-08-2011, 10:01 PM
What year car?

Do the fans come on when you turn on the A/C?

ntcmpjg
06-09-2011, 04:38 AM
What year car?

Do the fans come on when you turn on the A/C?

The one does the other nothing. Its a 94 NA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RealMcCoy
06-09-2011, 08:07 PM
The one does the other nothing. Its a 94 NA

Which one comes on?

ntcmpjg
06-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Which one comes on?

The little AC fan comes on only. When I put power to the big one it works fine. I think I might just hook it to something that turns on when the car does so it just stays on

RealMcCoy
06-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Check the ground(G101 at the right front fender)

You have a datalogger?

BaadVR4
06-10-2011, 06:14 AM
While the N/A fan wiring/control might be different from the TT, I doubt it. And the main cooling fan (larger fan on the passenger side) is controlled on the ground side. This means there is supposed to be +12V at the fan whenever the key is on. The fan is turned on and off by closing the fan's ground. I suggest finding out why there is no voltage at the fan when the key is on. And if the fan runs when you put +12V to the fan and the coolant is cold, then there may be another wiring problem. With the engine cold, the ground side of the fan should not be connected. First thing I'd check are all the fuses.

The little AC fan comes on only. When I put power to the big one it works fine. I think I might just hook it to something that turns on when the car does so it just stays on

mtpockets20
06-10-2011, 08:44 PM
na, dont waste timing hunting for that ghost, wire the fan to turn on, it will save you a headache

ntcmpjg
06-11-2011, 12:28 AM
na, dont waste timing hunting for that ghost, wire the fan to turn on, it will save you a headache

And normally I would but it only has 71k on the clock and i want to track it down to keep the harness intact

n2nsanity
06-17-2011, 01:49 AM
u try swapping out the resistor yet?
u know i have at least 1 or 2 extras, lol

box
06-17-2011, 05:24 AM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e161/brownbox101/Untitled-29.jpg
Check fuses, check for +12v at fan motor when ignition is on. If you have +12v, problem is with the switching/earth circuit.
Earth fan motor, it should go. Earth pin 3 of relays, if fans work then earth at the control module.

When earthing, do so with a filament testlight so you dont blow fuses/components ;)

Hardly going to be the resistor as its only connected when the fans on low speed, on high speed its bypassed.