PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice from the experts!

92EuroDiamante
05-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Whether its that low mileage car that sat for 10 years or being a member of the spun bearing club. We are experts at what happens to cars when they sit.

I just picked up a celica GTS with 20k that has sat most of its life in a garage (they had wiring flaws and the starter wiring eventually degrades to nothing, a simple push button start and I was on my way). The car has sat consistantly for the last 5 years.

I started it up and with fresh gas it ran great however the brake pedal went almost all the way to the floor. It has improved with a bit of around the block driving.
The lady swore the brakes worked when it was driven last, and the pads, and rotors look brand new. There is no fluid leaking that I can see with all the wheels off.

Do brakes go bad or develop air in the lines from sitting? Could the master cylinder go bad from sitting?. I wouldnt think the nice layer of rust would cause no pedal feel like this.

Alex3000gt
05-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Pump the brakes and have someone walk around the car to inspect for leaks.

92EuroDiamante
05-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Pump the brakes and have someone walk around the car to inspect for leaks.

I did that and didnt see any leaks. There was a tiny drip on the driveway, however I work on cars alot and it could be anything. I went up and down the driveway for 15 minutes and saw nothing else. All rubber and undercarriage are perfect looking, though im still not gonna trust the rubber parts. The

GTOJOE
05-29-2011, 03:51 AM
Could have moisture in the fluid. Or could simply be the seals are stuffed from lack of use?

TUFFTR
05-29-2011, 03:56 AM
Bleed the brakes with fresh fluid. Also check the back of the M/C where at joins the booster to check for leaks. I would say there is moisture/air in the system and/or the M/C is bad.

for 40 minutes work and $20 in fluid, flush it all out first and see how you go.

92EuroDiamante
05-29-2011, 04:43 AM
Thanks guys,
I was wondering if this was even possible just from it sitting and it looks like it is.
Gonna bleed them as soon as the weather lets up here. It has been nasty here.

UTRacerX9
05-29-2011, 05:50 PM
It is said that in a humid climate, the brake fluid can absorb 15% water in the course of one year. After 5 years, there's probably a lot of water contaminating the fluid. Change the fluid and see what happens.

92EuroDiamante
05-29-2011, 06:50 PM
It is said that in a humid climate, the brake fluid can absorb 15% water in the course of one year. After 5 years, there's probably a lot of water contaminating the fluid. Change the fluid and see what happens.

Thats what I needed to know :). Wow I had no idea it could absorb so much.
Also another thing I noticed. I glanced at the reservoir and it was full 80% from the bottom. Well in this car the full line is almost at the top of the cap. I filled it, drove it around for a while burning off all the crap and its definitely driveable just a little soft. I will definitely flush out the fluid I just wanted to see the condition of the car to decide if I wanted to plate it immediately or give it a month of downtime for repairs. I would have already but with the long weekend I cant till tuesday.

Hans@GZP
05-30-2011, 09:33 AM
The rust on the rotors will give you that feeling as well. I do a few hard stops to blow the rust off. The first time usually feels like there are almost no brakes at all.

Austin@STM
05-30-2011, 09:46 AM
With a the water that has more than likely been absorbed, bleeding the brakes is definitely a great idea no matter what. I would also go aroound all the calipers and make sure all the sliders are greased and move freely, as well as get a brake pad seperator, or just a c-clamp and somewood, and make sure all the pistons are moving in a nd out freely. If you calipers are at all siezed, that will hurt your braking as well.

92EuroDiamante
05-30-2011, 11:04 AM
The rust on the rotors will give you that feeling as well. I do a few hard stops to blow the rust off. The first time usually feels like there are almost no brakes at all.

I was wondering about this as well. I hadnt experience this on my other cars that sit for the winter, they usually just make a noise but pedal feel is fine. Then again 5+ years is different than 5 months :p. Thank you :)

With a the water that has more than likely been absorbed, bleeding the brakes is definitely a great idea no matter what. I would also go aroound all the calipers and make sure all the sliders are greased and move freely, as well as get a brake pad seperator, or just a c-clamp and somewood, and make sure all the pistons are moving in a nd out freely. If you calipers are at all siezed, that will hurt your braking as well.

Definitely. As time goes on and the weather gets better I plan to disassemble and clean all the parts like that.