PDA

View Full Version : crank gear for a 92 sl

leggomieggo10
04-17-2011, 10:34 AM
i picked up a 92sl real cheap that needed a tbelt, guy said he was driving about 5 mph an the car shut off on him, it started right back up an he drove it another 20yds to his house(just as slow) he towed it to the mechanic an the mechanic said he needed a tbelt. which it does, i checked compression on the front head they were all even at 120 which isnt bad for a 92 with 120k, my question is that all my cam gears line up perfectly, but when i went to pull the crank an check what was down there, i found that the dow pin (that goes into the crank) was about 3 teeth ahead of the oil pump notch, Im slightly worried because the dow pin is suppose to be 1 tooth behind the oil pump notch right?? an on the gear the actual tdc mark is the little circle indention thats one tooth in front of the dow pin, true?

my crank gear doesnt have this indention circle so i cant tell, im worried about my rear head now, damnit, anyone got a pic of the gear of a 91 or 92 so i can count how many teeth its off??

leggomieggo10
04-19-2011, 01:28 PM
anybody?? i need to get this in time this weekend before the may 1st meet,

any help would be greatly appreciated

n2nsanity
04-20-2011, 12:44 AM
120 is pretty low i think
it doesn't take too much to get bent valves, but not sure if 120 means bent valves either
i'd do a real thorough check on everything

have you done the 60k before?
looks like its time for the 120k anyway
you'll be pulling the crank gear off then

could be wrong but, i dont think the crank gear or pulley can go on incorrectly
if i remember correctly, i think 1 pin out from the gear and 2 pins in towards the block and can only line up a certain way
i try to set everything at tdc before pulling anything off
then use cam locks to keep it that way which makes it easier

i have an extra engine i'm stripping down
it's a 94 so it will be a lil different, at least the crank sensor part
i'll try to get some pics later

leggomieggo10
04-21-2011, 09:58 PM
i figured it but thanks for the response.

120 is low but its fine, i had a 94 stealth with 190k that ran beautiful on 70 compression across the board lol