PDA

View Full Version : Crank seal installation tool + rebuild

nzgto-tt
09-14-2010, 06:04 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine on my '91 GTO TT. It's been off the road for almost 5 years now (cripes has it been that long? :confused: ) after it pulled the power steering belt under the timing belt. (bang x 24)
Other things came up, and I've only really been working on it for the past year, a couple of hours here and there.

I'm just about to install the rear main seal and mount the oil pan, but I'm having trouble tracking down dimensions for the rear main seal installation tool - MD998718-01

I have a lathe, so I've been turning up the various seal install tools as I go, using dimensions from various helpful folks on the 'net, but I can't find anyone with the main seal install tool.

If anyone has it can you please post the height of the small step? (ie how far below the lip of the housing does the seal get pushed in?)

I've found some photos and it looks like slightly less that 1mm to me - maybe 0.75mm? I'm sure it's not overly critical (as long as it's not pushed all the way in!!!) but I like to do things by the book when I have the chance to!

If anyone would like to see a whole load of photos of my current progress, check out my Google sites page here:
http://sites.google.com/site/TheGreatRebuild

Cheers,
Kenneth
'91 GTO TT < almost back on the road...

blindmist
09-14-2010, 02:50 PM
I have always used the ends of extensions to either 3/8 or 1/4 in drive. The square end is great with a hammer behind it. This is how I install all my seals. But, if you really want a measurement, I am pulling my engine off the stand today and dropping it in the car. I can mic it out before I put the flywheel on.

MaxClass
09-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Great pictorial at you site "The GreatRebuild". Checked out every photo. Everyone should if only to get more familiar with all the parts that make up our engines. My rebuild will be back from the machine shop hopefully by this Friday and I will follow your process almost to the letter.

Thanks for the photos.

blindmist
09-15-2010, 01:35 AM
I didn't get the engine off the stand today, I had run into some issues, hopefully tomorrow I can get you a spec.

nzgto-tt
09-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Cool, thanks!
What did you use to determine the right depth to install your main seal in the first place? Or was it installed by someone else?

Cheers,
Kenneth

blindmist
09-15-2010, 03:12 AM
There is a line on the metal of the crank that you want the rubber to be touching just behind. It really varies from crank to crank by a very small amount, and if its is in the right place, I can get a proper measurement.

Mikes2nd
01-14-2012, 03:33 PM
go with 1 mm... wow old posting. I have the tool in my toolbox... its very slight

mcshooter
01-14-2012, 04:31 PM
mike i could measure your rear seal tool but i remind you that you lent all of your engine assy tools out.