PDA

View Full Version : Maybe its not my clutch...?

Modern 3kGT
09-13-2010, 11:53 PM
So, initially I thought my clutch was slipping. Under heavy loads the car was often studdering. Then today I was reading on this site :) that the studdering could be caused by spark plug blow out or a boost leak.

I think that I have eliminated the clutch slipping idea. I got out on the highway for my 20 minute drive home and did a series of pulls from 40 mph in 6th gear at WOT to 70 mph. Not once did it studder, it acceled smoothly the entire time. Then when I pulled from 3rd and 4th it did studder but when it was studdering I didn't notice an increase in rpms at all. I am mostly stock with AEM tru boost, borla exhaust, tien s, and k&n FIPK. The car does have 144k on the clock and did have its 120k maintenance.

What do you guys think it might be?

Thanks in advance, John

DocWalt
09-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Does the car feel like it's running into a wall, or is it just stumbling? If it's a harsh stutter, check you knock counts, and try lowering your boost. If it's soft, check for boost leaks, and check the gap on your plugs. Should be about .032 to .04ish for your mods.

Modern 3kGT
09-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Just stumbling, I am only boosting 6 lbs right now and it never holds. I am sure I have a boost leak somewhere. Sorry forgot to mention its a 97 vr4.

DocWalt
09-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Sounds like a boost leak then :)

Modern 3kGT
09-14-2010, 12:12 AM
Where does most common boost leaks occur?

Modern 3kGT
09-14-2010, 02:38 AM
I don't know when the last time the spark plugs/wires where replaced ( I have only owned the car for a month). So just to eliminate the spark plug blow-out theory I was wondering if 3sx's tune up kit is a good deal? It seems to be, for $100 i can get 3SX Custom MSD Plug Wires, Set of 6 NGK Copper BKR7E-11 Spark Plugs, and OEM Upper Intake Manifold / Plenum Gasket OEM Throttle Body Gasket. Is that decent for a bpu setup?

Also, what is the best way to perform a boost leak test? sorry i have not researched anything on how to yet. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks, John