PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Suspension: Wobble when breaking.

Fletch
03-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Having a little difficulty finding this one, hoping someone here has had this issue.

When breaking from above 40, the wheel had a firm wobble.
Jacked the car up this afternoon, check for play with the wheel on. 3 and 6 pulling, no movement. 12 and 6 pulling, no movement.
Removed Wheels and checked the calipers, passenger seemed firm with a solid feel, no movement. The drivers had a slight movement, when I say slight, I mean about .1 mm, I could feel a little but not very obvious with sight. Think something is up there. Need to remove the caliper and bracket to look for cracks.
The struts look visibly old but had no play to them. The Strut mounts are clean looking, the inner and outer tie rods are new as of October last year, tugging on them a bit to see for movement yielded nothing.

The rear bolt on my drivers side control are, is sticking about 1/4" lower than snug. Tried to tighten it with my craftsman 1/2" and it clicked the head, need to get a new breaker bar.

Any ideas?
I do understand that I need to tighten that bolt first, then check for cracks in the bracket and caliper of the drivers side, but looking for other areas to check.

I feel terrible with a sick car

green-lantern
03-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Your rotors are warped. NA or TT?

Lugnut
03-20-2011, 10:11 PM
:smartie: could be a case of overheated or burred brake pads too .. I had that problem and got my rotors cut and new pads and it went away

green-lantern
03-20-2011, 10:17 PM
They definitely get warped from being overheated. If it's a NA then the calipers probably aren't floating on the pins correctly. You will probably need to clean out the holes on your calipers and replace the rotors. If they can't float on those pins they will get hot just driving down the road without even applying the brakes.

CoopKill
03-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Warped rotor victim in the past as well!

If you've owned a chev 1/2 ton you have been or will be in the same boat. Not that I have owned one for long... :suspect:

Fletch
03-21-2011, 12:25 AM
NA
Ok then... warped rotors it is.

Thanks all for the replies. Looking into rebuilding my calipers this coming weekend then.

Might as well just replace rotors pads and rebuild the calipers while cleaning it ehh :D