PDA

View Full Version : 91 rt will not start. done the basics, looking for help please

leggomieggo10
03-04-2011, 08:40 PM
i have recently acquired a 91 rt auto. project for sure but got it for dirt cheap. heres the deal, the guy said it stopped running on him one day. an its been sitting for about a year.

got the car home. pulled the injectors got nothing, so i replaced the tank, lines, an pump. cranked it an got a nice flow out of all the injectors (the right psi aswell). still wouldnt start. checked spark an wasnt sparking on a coil. it was the ecu. now i have a KNOWN working ecu in there. i have the spark an i have fuel still no start. itll crank all day long but wont start. than i for the 10Th time checked timing an it was dead on. so i finally got around to getting a compression test, heres my hahah what a piece.
i had two cylinders at 75 an four at 40ish. thats haha. yea i know piston rings or valve stem seals whatever.

this is where im at. the car cranks all day long an sounds beautiful when its cranking but will not start or even chug a little.

i finally got pissed off enough to just rip off the heads. right now ive got the heads off. i looked them over very good an didnt find anything to the naked eye that would cause it not to start. all the valves are moving etc. the pistons all look good.

the car has 150k but its got a 2nd gen engine so who really knows.

what the hell should i do. id like to get it running. but im actually pretty stumped at this point

to recap
i had fuel spark an time. i tried turning the cas 180 out.
where does this leave me lol

stealthee
03-04-2011, 09:30 PM
For future clarifications cranking is the same thing as turning over. It is contradictory to say its cranking, but not turning over.

leggomieggo10
03-04-2011, 09:57 PM
sorry bout that.

if you didnt know what i ment, it turns over but never starts

RealMcCoy
03-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Obviously you need to find the cause of the low compression... You should have done a leakdown test before tearing it down. At this point, you need to check that the valves are sealing when closed. You can just turn them chamber side up, and fill them with ATF or solvent, and see if they hold.

leggomieggo10
03-05-2011, 11:35 PM
yea i was examing the heads more closesly an the exhaust valves for #3 got stuck open an when i popped them back in the rocker popped out. so im going to do that an than put the water in the chamber to see if the seals leak. im pretty sure they do.

anyother suggestions?? ive never seen bad seals cause it not to stary, have you??

RealMcCoy
03-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Bad valve guide seals will not cause low compression or any form of drivability issue... Only oil consumption issues.

If the valve guides are sticking, that could easily be your problem... Did you try to start it with bad fuel?

leggomieggo10
03-05-2011, 11:57 PM
i didnt think the seals would cause a problem other than the oil.

as a matter of fact i did try to start it with bad gas. i replaced the tank, pump an filter but didnt replace the lines, im assuming the lines were completely rusted on the inside because when i checked to make sure the i still had fuel i noticed the gas coming out like orange gatorade. (gas in tank was clean just put it in). so i replaced the line whiich now i have normal colored gas.

may i ask why you asked that??

RealMcCoy
03-06-2011, 12:05 AM
If the valve guides are exposed to bad fuel, it can form a varnish that will cause the guides to stick... It usuallly requires that the car be actually run on bad fuel to cause it though.

leggomieggo10
03-06-2011, 04:50 PM
nope never even got it started.

im gonna try an take the heads to a shop an see if they can tell me if theres anything wrong with them.

if its not the head im not sure what it would be