PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here collect watches?

Runner up
09-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Does anyone here collect watches? I am an avid collector of automatic and mechanical watches. It's so cool to open up the case of an automatic watch, and see all the gears moving and all the pieces turning. I currently have two watches, and am waiting on my next to come.

I found an awesome vintage Omega Seamaster. It's from 1961, automatic movement, acryllic crystal (modern watches use a mineral or sapphire crystal, but old watches used a domed acryllic), and he been completely refinished. Looks brand new. It's quite a collectible watch, and cost me an arm and a leg, but I can't wait for it to arrive. :cool:

Also, I will be inheriting several watches from my grandmother. One of them being a 1970's Corum 20 dollar gold coin watch. This watch is worth a lot of money (well over $5,000), and is absolutely beautiful. It's made from a 20 dollar gold coin (this particular one was minted in 1899) that has been split in half. Then, the center is hollowed, and a mechanical hand wound movement is placed inside. Holes are drilled for the hands and the crown, and a sapphire crystal is built into an extremely thin bezel. It is a gorgeous watch.

I'm a member of a watch forum that I frequent very often, but thought it would be cool if anyone here collected watches.

Macky
09-13-2010, 04:50 PM
I would like to, mostly it's because I get to inherit a lot of them from my dad.

I currently use a Breitling Titanium Chrono Avenger. I think it retailed for about $3500. It's been replaced by the Seawolf Avenger iirc.

DanF
09-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Does anyone here collect watches? I am an avid collector of automatic and mechanical watches. It's so cool to open up the case of an automatic watch, and see all the gears moving and all the pieces turning. I currently have two watches, and am waiting on my next to come.

I found an awesome vintage Omega Seamaster. It's from 1961, automatic movement, acryllic crystal (modern watches use a mineral or sapphire crystal, but old watches used a domed acryllic), and he been completely refinished. Looks brand new. It's quite a collectible watch, and cost me an arm and a leg, but I can't wait for it to arrive. :cool:

Also, I will be inheriting several watches from my grandmother. One of them being a 1970's Corum 20 dollar gold coin watch. This watch is worth a lot of money (well over $5,000), and is absolutely beautiful. It's made from a 20 dollar gold coin (this particular one was minted in 1899) that has been split in half. Then, the center is hollowed, and a mechanical hand wound movement is placed inside. Holes are drilled for the hands and the crown, and a sapphire crystal is built into an extremely thin bezel. It is a gorgeous watch.

I'm a member of a watch forum that I frequent very often, but thought it would be cool if anyone here collected watches.

Your nickname wouldn't happen to be Sylar, would it? ;)

AaronVR4
09-15-2010, 10:49 AM
http://www.hmtk.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/sylar.png

This actually seems like a cool hobby. Time pieces from before most of us were born. very cool.

gltasn
09-15-2010, 07:54 PM
ive had a few rolexes over the years. i used to be the only guy at the only rolex dealer in alaska for 10 years. i used to tell everyone, "if you need a rolex, im the only guy in alaska that can sell you a one." i didnt say i worked with all women. id love to collect watches and have had some nicer than rolex. ive owner a franck muller, 'crazy time' for a while but i kept comming back to my sub. cant seem to do anything without it. got rid of the rest and havent looked back. i dont get cost on them anymore and the ones i want are 100k+ by franck muller http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/clocks-n-watches/watch/watches/franck-muller/collections/, and daniel rothhttp://www.chrono24.com/en/danielroth/. i guess selling watches for 20-60k got me looking at higher end ones ill never get.

Runner up
09-16-2010, 01:15 AM
ive had a few rolexes over the years. i used to be the only guy at the only rolex dealer in alaska for 10 years. i used to tell everyone, "if you need a rolex, im the only guy in alaska that can sell you a one." i didnt say i worked with all women. id love to collect watches and have had some nicer than rolex. ive owner a franck muller, 'crazy time' for a while but i kept comming back to my sub. cant seem to do anything without it. got rid of the rest and havent looked back. i dont get cost on them anymore and the ones i want are 100k+ by franck muller http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/clocks-n-watches/watch/watches/franck-muller/collections/, and daniel rothhttp://www.chrono24.com/en/danielroth/. i guess selling watches for 20-60k got me looking at higher end ones ill never get.

Hahaha. :D As much as I like the Sub, I can't justify the price. I can get a very nice homage (ie, knock-off) at 1/4th the price. Looks exactly the same, sapphire crystal, eta movement (could spring for one that's cosc), solid end links, 300m, diver's extension, all for under $800. That's hard to beat.

Always wanted a Franck Muller, very nice watches. I don't think I will ever spend more than ten grand on a watch, and even that's pushing it. I just can't justify it, there are so many other things I could spend my money on.

Runner up
09-16-2010, 01:21 AM
I would like to, mostly it's because I get to inherit a lot of them from my dad.

I currently use a Breitling Titanium Chrono Avenger. I think it retailed for about $3500. It's been replaced by the Seawolf Avenger iirc.

Awesome! There was a time I was considering buying a vintage Breitling Navitimer Chronograph from the late 60's, but decided I should save my money. You are very lucky.

This actually seems like a cool hobby. Time pieces from before most of us were born. very cool.

It is a very interesting hobby. Once you get into the very complicated automatic/mechanical watches, it becomes even more fun.

This is the 1962 Omega Seamaster Deville I will be acquiring. http://img8.sellersourcebook.com/users/55488/bskomeseadegle4.jpg

This is 1970's the Corum 20 Dollar gold coin watch that I'm inheriting from my Grandmother. (Generic photo)
http://exquisitetimepieces.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/62022.951101.jpg

bluemax_1
09-22-2010, 06:01 AM
I've always been a watch afficionado, but I guess I wouldn't call myself a collector as collectors tend to accumulate items. I, on the other hand have been on the quest for my 'ultimate watch'. The one watch that I won't ever feel the need to replace.

As far as watches I've owned (or borrowed from my Dad), my first ever watch had to be an authentic Donald Duck watch that my parents got me when I was... 4? Don't know what happened to it. Those darned things had problems with the damned hands falling off after a while. Moved on to a Timex. Had a Casio G-Shock for a while, used to borrow my Dad's antique Hamilton. Collector's item that I kind of screwed up. Drowned my Dad's old Solvil et Titus when I forgot to take it off before jumping in a swimming pool and from thereon, vowed that any watch I wore had to be waterproof (water resistant). Had a Seiko Kinetic for a while till I discovered that the stupid capacitor is like a battery, it dies permanently after a few years.

Owned (at various times and then sold) a JLC Master Compressor, an IWC Pilot's Watch, a Rolex Sea Dweller (without a doubt THE most waterproof watch I've ever owned at a 1220 meter/4000 feet rating) and am currently wearing (and have been for the past ~9 years) a Tiatanium Omega Seamaster Pro with rubber strap. This last watch has had almost all the qualities I've been looking for in a watch (so did the Sea Dweller, but I sold that one for financial reasons) with one exception.

The Seamaster Pro's qualities that I prize:
- Waterproof to at least 100M, preferably 200M or more
- Accurate automatic movement (would eventually forget to wind a watch that needed it and don't like bothering with batteries even if they are only needed every few years)
- Easily legible dial at night
- Not too ostentatious. I love the fact that especially with the rubber strap, no one except for other watch nuts knows what it is or has a clue as to how much it costs.
- Fairly tough/durable
- Sapphire crystal

The one thing that I discovered I wanted to add to the list, which has now narrowed my search, some form of 24 hour indication. Discovered this one Fall morning. I went to bed at about 4a.m., not having to be anywhere or do anything till 7 p.m. the next day. I woke up, looked at my watch (yep, I'm one of those nuts that wears their wristwatch while sleeping) and saw 6:30p.m.! (dark gray skies didn't help). Thought I was going to be late (had to be somewhere at 7p.m.) so I rushed to get ready, got there and discovered that I was 12 hours early. It was actually 7 a.m. I'd only been asleep for 3.5 hours.

So eventually the plan is to get a GMT.

Max

colt45 gto
09-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Hahaha. :D As much as I like the Sub, I can't justify the price. I can get a very nice homage (ie, knock-off) at 1/4th the price. Looks exactly the same, sapphire crystal, eta movement (could spring for one that's cosc), solid end links, 300m, diver's extension, all for under $800. That's hard to beat.

Always wanted a Franck Muller, very nice watches. I don't think I will ever spend more than ten grand on a watch, and even that's pushing it. I just can't justify it, there are so many other things I could spend my money on.

i love Rolex but would never afford a real one. i've had many generics that have the ETA movement etc. some last a while some simply break on my wrist. i'd rather pay 100 and break one than pay 20k to have one break. lets face it they are made to be worn, i had a president for 4 years, never off my wrist, went thru hell and back. one day it let water in and that was the end of that. not bad going for an £80 copy ;)

blackrob
09-22-2010, 05:20 PM
I dabble a little in it. I don't really collect them like going out looking for old watches. I just buy new ones that I like. LOL. My first big purchase was a Maurice Lacroix that I picked up in Germany. I was going to get this bad ass one that had the days of the week, but it was in German so I would have never known what day it was on. Then a couple years later I picked up an Omega Speedmaster chrono. I bought it in Singapore because the exchange rate was phenomenal at the time. I haven't bought anything since then because I'm a broke college student with a money pit in the garage. As soon as I get a real job again I'm sure it will be on the top of my priority list. I have been eyeing an IWC and an Ulysses Nardin for a long while. I'm sure that one of those will be my next purchase.

IMO, I don't really like Rolex's. There are a ton of fakes out there so only a few people will know what you have only if they know how to spot a fake. Also, they are just played out. That's just my opinion though.

I can't wear a Breitling because I have skinny wrist and I feel like Flava Flav when I try them on. Damn skinny wrist, they ruin a lot of watches for me.

Has anyone found a good watch winder that doesn't cost as much as the watch I'm putting in there? I found one, but it doesn't do a very good job on keeping it wound. My Omega dies after about 4 or 5 days of being in there.

Runner up
09-23-2010, 03:32 PM
For people who like Rolex, but cant justify spending $6,000, I suggest the Debaufre Ocean 1.
http://www.debaufre.com/images/ocean/Ocean1-dual.jpg
Sapphire crystal, solid end links/bracelet, 300m, screw down crown and caseback, great lume, eta 2824. Beautiful watch, phenomenal quality. Also, it costs less than $500. :) Oh and Bluemax, you can get one with the gmt function.

Really would like an IWC, but a bit pricey for me.

Runner up
09-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Has anyone found a good watch winder that doesn't cost as much as the watch I'm putting in there? I found one, but it doesn't do a very good job on keeping it wound. My Omega dies after about 4 or 5 days of being in there.

I wouldn't even bother with a watch winder. If worst comes to worst, just let the watch die. It takes, what, five seconds to reset the time? Unless of course your watch has complications like moon phase and chronographs. Then it's a bit more difficult.

Unfortunately, good watch winders are expensive.

colt45 gto
09-23-2010, 03:42 PM
For people who like Rolex, but cant justify spending $6,000, I suggest the Debaufre Ocean 1.
http://www.debaufre.com/images/ocean/Ocean1-dual.jpg
Sapphire crystal, solid end links/bracelet, 300m, screw down crown and caseback, great lume, eta 2824. Beautiful watch, phenomenal quality. Also, it costs less than $500. :) Oh and Bluemax, you can get one with the gmt function.

Really would like an IWC, but a bit pricey for me.
nice, but my taste is with the retro rolex.....oyster, day date, president.

I wouldn't even bother with a watch winder. If worst comes to worst, just let the watch die. It takes, what, five seconds to reset the time? Unless of course your watch has complications like moon phase and chronographs. Then it's a bit more difficult.

best and cheapest winders you ar born with. a watch runs what 48 hours before it dies without kinetic movement? my 2nd to last replica rolex never stopped, damn thing was near on never off my wrist but when i take a watch off i forget about them for a day or two, when that happened i think i caught it just in time each time.

GTOX
09-25-2010, 06:45 AM
I don't collect watches, just have a few Rolex knock offs. Here's a pic of the ones I could find, the gold one's a Daytona, the silver is a Datejust.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu203/timmm36/46a17b66.jpg

blackrob
10-15-2010, 03:09 PM

Yeah, that's my problem. My watch is an Omega Speedmaster with day/date/month. It's a huge pain to let die.

gltasn
10-15-2010, 05:43 PM
for real rolex's i would always remind the customer that if they did take the watch off at night, that it would get slow and, to wind it 5 extra times per week to compensate. i also told them what rolex said that was to lay the watch dial down when not wearing. this is so that the 9 diff oils inside the movement, that are nice and warm from your body temp, will pool into a bowl(anywhere metal makes contact a synthetic ruby, aka jewel, will make the contact with oil in a ball and socket for lack of better term), as opposed to running free. this way when you pick up the watch youll have more oil in the jewels. to demonstrate this was not harmful to the rolex i would take my sub off and lay it face down on the glass counter and, push down and, slide it back and forth across the glass, then hand it out for inspection. never had a scratch on the crystal to this day!

bluemax_1
10-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Many of the high end watches these days use a synthetic sapphire crystal. The only things that can scratch them are another sapphire, or of course, a diamond. Synthetic sapphire is fairly common these days. Those built-in supermarket barcode scanners use sheets of synthetic sapphire crystal for the window instead of glass to prevent them from accumulating all the scratches from cans and bottles that used to scratch the crap out of the 'old' glass and acrylic scanners that would need to be replaced often because the scanner couldn't read the barcodes if there were too many scratches on them.

BTW, most of the high end watches are adjusted to 6 positions (face up, face down, crown side up, crown side down, 12 o'clock up, 12 o'clock down) to try to keep them fairly accurate regardless of position, but it still makes a small difference depending on the mechanical movement. One of my friends tested several different watches (different brands and movements) and recorded the data (relative to the atomic clock). Some watches would gain time face down where others would lose time. Some would keep accurate time crown down, while others wouldn't etc. Amusing.

Max

gltasn
10-15-2010, 06:14 PM
when we had a rolex show we had a tech bring in this little ekg machine for the watches. they used it to adjust the timing on them, as you say, in alot of diff possitions. i loved watching that thing work and listen to the sounds of the movment amplified. had a little graph that showed the timing in real time like a heart moniter. she would time peoples watches by apt, all day for free durring a rolex show. i once sold 5 yachtmasters in one day.

Runner up
10-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah, that's my problem. My watch is an Omega Speedmaster with day/date/month. It's a huge pain to let die.

One of my dream watches. :w00t: Hmm, you should sell it to me.

My newest acquisition:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:pp5bku9AzlPdHM:http://blog-imgs-29-origin.fc2.com/z/a/z/zazastar/595.jpg&t=1

Orient 60th Anniversary watch. Manual wind, date, domed crystal, and power reserve. 1500 made world wide, each individually engraved. Mine is number 291.

IPD
10-17-2010, 01:30 PM
i have a classic tag that cost me ~$500. that's about the extent of what i'm willing to spend on a watch (which is why i don't have a breitling). i prefer watches that virtually indestructible; which is why my daily timepiece has been the same ironman timex for the past decade. :p

i'd like to replace this timex with something a bit more upscale, but i need a digital watch for daily use (which is why i don't wear the analog tag). i want something with an anodized black band & matching face (i replacing plastic, not wanting more of it). preferably <$300. large font time readout preferred. date readout on same screen preferred. feature heavy is a plus, but minimalism in design/display is also great. needs to light up. needs high contrast display (reverse display would be great). anyone got any suggestions?

bluemax_1
10-17-2010, 06:30 PM
i once sold 5 yachtmasters in one day.

Nice. Did you make a commission on each watch you sold?

Max

blackrob
11-05-2010, 11:12 AM
One of my dream watches. :w00t: Hmm, you should sell it to me.

Yeah it was my dream watch that I could afford at the moment. The Omega will be something I pass on to my son. Provided he doesn't end up being a screw up with a drug problem who will pawn anything for a quick fix. LOL

Ghey
11-10-2010, 01:51 PM
What do you guys think of Lumtec and Luminox? I bought a $25 smith and wesson military watch several months ago to "practice" watch wearing because I've never worn one before. I'm thinking of upgrading.

92RT-TT
11-10-2010, 02:51 PM
My grandpa was a jewelery and watch maker so he also sold alot of high end watches as well. His "everyday" watch was a Rolex Oyster circa 1967. It came with two bands, one was an all stainless steel band and the other a stainless steel and gold band. He passed away when I was two but he left it in his will for me so when I turned 17 I was supposed to get it. It sat in my safe deposit box until 3 weeks ago (I'm 24) so it was sitting for the last 22 years. I picked it up and within a few seconds it was running and its kept accurate time since the safe deposit box. I'll have to snap a couple pictures when I get home.

terrets
11-11-2010, 06:29 AM
There are some nice watches on here...Heres my few, Im not really a collector but I got two from my grandfather.

Two on left are from my grandfather
From left to right: Whittnauer, Seiko Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, A Swatch :), Fossil my ex got for me two years ago I really like this one but I cracked it :(.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb66/lilguitarist4/1111100520.jpg?t=1289474758

reallyxxxxxxloud
01-31-2011, 10:17 PM
I've a Boy London watch I had made for me (I had a friend at the Factory). I'll fish it out at some stage and up a pic its 17 yo now but still works great and still looks tough/hard even today. I had this Indian guy come to my house one-day and ask if he could use my house phone. He was very well off so didn't feel threatened by him. I saw his watch and was gobsmacked. I aked him about it and he said everyone comments on it. He bought it secondhand for $25000 and it was a heavy solid gold Rolex. He bought it at home in India from a deceased estate so has no idea of actual worth. The whole watch was hand carved with Indian gods, Ganesha and Sakthi. The face was studded with diamonds also. It was the most beautiful watch I have ever seen...

IPD
01-31-2011, 11:32 PM
my current daily-use watch:
http://kcp.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pKCP-7500533v383x392.jpg

i think i paid ~$100 for it. touch function is a bit gimmicky and annoying, but there isn't a whole lot to choose from in the digital realm of steel watch bezel & bands; at least not in black.

Scorch
02-01-2011, 02:08 PM
I really like watches, I sort of collect them but I'm a college student, so they're hard to afford especially being so expensive. I have a watch my grandfather gave me, which is just kind of a normal watch. I also have a pretty cool watch that has a changing background, I think it's LCD or something, but the watch itself is analog. My coolest watch though my ex-girlfriend got me, both sides of the face are clear, so you can see all the gears inside turning and keeping time. It's pretty snazzy.

ijsaul
02-02-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm surprised that Tag Heuer hasn't gotten more love on here. Great quality, reasonable price, and racing inspired designs.

I'm in love with the Carrera Calibre 16:

http://www.celebritybrands.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/tag-heuer-carrera-day-date.jpg

$3,900 retail, but you can find them for $2,500.

I avoid trying to look at them, as I'm pumping cash into the Stealth currently, and perhaps buying a house, etc.

Keeping my priorities straight...

IPD
02-02-2011, 04:24 PM
i would never spend over a grand on a watch. then again, i won't spend over $50 on a pair of sunglasses (heck, i've never spent more than $30).

diminishing returns right there.

Ghey
02-10-2011, 02:42 PM
A $100 pair of Ray Bans that I've had for about 10 years now is the best money I've spent. Tough, and completely out of style (think The Matrix)

That said.

I'm thinking of buying this, or maybe a similar Victorinox Swiss Army..
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/uvZn5X9m32MnebTnU9Q4q2bReKj77ehC5iopYKIDhjwj2yxWLP vi8M5rQ2pCbMK4VWDI1N3gvP8IwXybfFigOW4SvjRWVzz-zGNbUj5223Jf42vYtWVHuDzQ9MJqjoNKuKT3t_987ZYKQ2xD-HksuQfrkNEbuw

brrroome
02-13-2011, 06:10 AM
A friend turned me onto Breitling Chronomat Automatic years ago and they are still one of my favorite pieces. My collection is small, but it does the job for now. Also have a dressed up Concord and some lower end dive watches. If tempted, I might pick up another Breitling or one of those Formula watches with the tilted face.

Ghey
03-11-2011, 10:52 AM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/turbotension/Knives/IMG_4011.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/turbotension/Knives/IMG_4012.jpg

terrets
03-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Absolutely love the one in the first picture. How much did it cost?

Ghey
03-11-2011, 04:25 PM
$150 off craigslist.

Here's the model. I'd like to get the black faced one as well.

Infantry Chronograph - Infantry - Victorinox AG (http://www.victorinox.com/product/3/300/3001/3114/24835;jsessionid=0652A09BA3D2992A19413CC224F2D27D)

Ghey
04-27-2011, 02:36 PM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/turbotension/Knives/IMG_4078.jpg

IPD
05-23-2011, 02:41 AM
did some more browsing today. still shocking how much breitling's go for. i mean, sure...the consensus seems to be that the quality is a bit higher than a tag heuer....but $2,000 higher? no thanks (although to be fair, breit's are still cheaper than most IWC's and zenith's. zeniths seem to start around 10k and go UP). if prestige mattered that much, i could spend 1/2 what a breitling costs & buy an omega. and i still think that my tag f1 is a great, classic watch.

i've been rocking the kenneth cole for ~6 months now. no serious complaints; although i think it wouldn't be that hard to "do better". i was searching for high-end, luxury/premium digital watches. there's practically NOTHING with a steel-band & pure digital (not analog + digital) for more than $200. i'm rather shocked by that. i found this one:

Michael Kors Mens Digital Mk9005 Watch (http://ewatchesusa.com/mk9005.html)

and i'm seriously considering it either as an addition or a replacement for my kenneth cole. i like the simplistic look of the KC, but the touchscreen is mildly annoying. this one is about the most "upscale" full-metal (steel-band) digital watch i can find. the $700 gucci's don't come with that.

if anyone else has a good suggestion though, i'm all ears. and no, i don't need to "switch to analog". :)

p.s.

i REALLY want a suunto...but i can't seem to find any with black-steel bands. :mad:

BrianWSNC
05-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Men's Watches, Women's Watches, Daily Deals on Designer Watches (http://www.worldofwatches.com/)

all the watches you would ever want

IPD
05-23-2011, 06:45 PM
yeah.....nothing there.