PDA

View Full Version : Books!!!

Sazzy77GTO
09-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Ok I know some will probably say NERD!! lol but seriously apart from the cars and of course the console and PC games I also like to read, at the moment i am reading Assassins Creed by Oliver Bowden, this year i have read all the Twilight saga books and also The second life of Bree Tanner and The Host by Stephanie Meyer who wrote the Twilight books.

So of all you people out there what book are you reading at the moment and what have you read so far this year?

Just curious to see what everyones reading material is.

TwoXist
09-13-2010, 08:42 PM
So far this year i have read. Boneshaker, The Second Life Of Bree Tanner, Mass Effect:Retribution, All You Need Is Kill, Usurper Of the Sun, Patient Zero and i am on Pride and Prejudice and Zombies right now. There is a few more that i cant think of right now.

stealthee
09-13-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm not a big reader but am currently halfway through Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I haven't read any of it in about two weeks though. Kinda fell out of a reading mood. Once I finish it though I am going to go pick up Abraham Lincoln; Vampire Hunter.

PsykoGamer
09-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Currently reading World War Z by Max Brooks. Pretty interesting book so far. It's alot of small stories from people who "went through the zombie apocalypse."

Jeremy C
09-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Twilight? I has a sad for you. :(

Books I'm reading: The Horus Heresy (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Horus-Heresy) series

Waiting on the next book in the Wheel of Time (http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/Towers_of_Midnight) series

Pretty close to giving up on the Song of Ice and Fire

Also trying to find copies of Roadside Picnic, Metro 2033, and Metro 2034 that aren't in Russian and are affordable.

Been reading some non-fiction parts as well. A couple pieces on just how crazy the religious right are, some historical books on things like Chernobyl (I am fascinated by it), and other various things that I grab from my partner. She has books stacked up all over our living room.

lawdogg
09-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Recent reading I enjoyed ...

David Sedaris - Naked and Augusten Burroughs - Running With Scissors. Both hilarious.

More serious fiction I enjoyed a great deal includes Bryce Courtenay - The Power of One, Fyodor Dostoyevky - Crime and Punishment, Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird, and some other crap I can't remember at the moment LOL

BladeOmega
09-14-2010, 02:38 AM
Where's eljefefx? Is he here yet?

Sazzy77GTO
09-14-2010, 03:56 AM
I couldnt help it the books are a fantastic read and i have to admit are much better than the films as there usually are.

I am thinking about picking up Eragon again and go through those 3 which i have had sat on my shelf for a while now.

lawdogg
09-15-2010, 12:04 AM

Hi my name is Jefe and I enjoy Dune.

AaronVR4
09-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Jefe would agree.... the spice must flow...

BladeOmega
09-16-2010, 01:28 AM
3SGTO will become the center of the universe.

nogreatloss
09-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Im in the middle of the dark tower series now. Just finished Wizard and Glass. I think that one and The Waste Lands have been my favorite so far.

BladeOmega
09-19-2010, 02:59 AM
I'm a big fan of The Dark Tower.

beepbeep
09-20-2010, 01:09 PM

Waiting on the next book in the Wheel of Time (http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/Towers_of_Midnight) series

Both of above comments, but mostly WOT.

I just finished the latest Anita Blake book Bullet (uggggg...my relationship with her is 100% over; should have stopped with Obsidian Butterfly). Re-reading The Gathering Storm in anticipation of the next WOT release. :hurray: I also read The Hollows series by Kim Harrison in July and then re-read Great Expectations not long ago. My bro-in-law is a huge literature buff, so he hands me books and I read them...mostly classics.
I obviously enjoy sci-fi/preternatural, but I also enjoy the classic novels. I just love to read. I am nerd....grrrrr.

Sazzy77GTO
09-20-2010, 03:17 PM
I love reading. But those that judge the Twilight ones you should really read the books and not judge them cause of the films. she is a fantastic author and The Host is proof of that too.

Still trying to decide what book to pick up next, found some old ones of mine whilst I was sorting some of things out of the attic at my parents, still thinking about the Eragon series, but I found Watership Down and wondering whether or not to pick that up just need to make sure I have tissues at the ready as everytime I read it I always cry. But my sister in law has lent me The Di Vinci code so iI may read that so she can have it back (mums had it for months).

Whats nice thought is to see what literature everyone is into, particulally the different authors.

beepbeep
09-20-2010, 05:01 PM
I love reading. But those that judge the Twilight ones you should really read the books and not judge them cause of the films. she is a fantastic author and The Host is proof of that too.

I judge books based on their content and I have read Twilight. I was unimpressed, unmoved and had a hard time finishing it due to lack of grip. I have not even bothered with the movie.

Sazzy77GTO
09-20-2010, 05:35 PM
I judge books based on their content and I have read Twilight. I was unimpressed, unmoved and had a hard time finishing it due to lack of grip. I have not even bothered with the movie.

Fair comment, but I know there is alot out there that have just judged based on the films, and I do understand theat its not to everyones tastes ;)

eljefefx
11-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Ok I know some will probably say NERD!! lol but seriously apart from the cars and of course the console and PC games I also like to read, at the moment i am reading Assassins Creed by Oliver Bowden, this year i have read all the Twilight saga books and also The second life of Bree Tanner and The Host by Stephanie Meyer who wrote the Twilight books.

So of all you people out there what book are you reading at the moment and what have you read so far this year?

Just curious to see what everyones reading material is.

Twilight? Really? That's not literature, that's a coloring book that came about because Meyers can neither draw nor write. Give that pile of garbage to the nearest third-grader along with a box of crayons.

Books I'm reading: The Horus Heresy (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Horus-Heresy) series

Pretty close to giving up on the Song of Ice and Fire

Also trying to find copies of Roadside Picnic, Metro 2033, and Metro 2034 that aren't in Russian and are affordable.

Been reading some non-fiction parts as well. A couple pieces on just how crazy the religious right are, some historical books on things like Chernobyl (I am fascinated by it), and other various things that I grab from my partner. She has books stacked up all over our living room.

I really really want to read the Horus series. Hard to find in ebook format.

I am I because I am here.
- Dune

Hi my name is Jefe and I enjoy Dune.

The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence.
- Dune

Jefe would agree.... the spice must flow...

"It is said a man will come one day and find in the gift of the drug his inward eye. He will look where we cannot — into both feminine and masculine pasts."
"Your Kwisatz Haderach?"
"Yes, the one who can be many places at once: the Kwisatz Haderach. Many men have tried the drug . . . so many, but none has succeeded."
"They tried and failed, all of them?"
"Oh, no." She shook her head. "They tried and died."

- Dune

Jeremy C
11-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Black Library JUST started releasing their books in e-book format (seriously - they gave away a pair of e-books 3 weeks ago to launch their e-book store). Give them some time, and they will show up. The Horus Heresy series has been far and wide their best selling series ever, so it can only be a matter of time before they are released in new format.

eljefefx
11-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I'll have to check that out. I'm sure there is a place that sounds like schmenonoid that I could acquire them from.Still, I must admit, I have been away from series' such as that for a while. It'll be nice to read something along those lines.

Now, on to the to the books to move across my eyes lately:

The Evolutionary Void by Peter F. Hamilton

Kushiel's Scion
Kushiel's Mercy
Kushiel's Justice
Naamah's Kiss
Naamah's Curse All by Jacqueline Carey and not a one of them under 400 pages (ebook).

Next on the list:
Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin
Media Control by Noam Chomsky
The Audacity of Hope by Barrack Obama

eljefefx
11-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Jeremy, I'm definitely getting the feeling I should not have started with this series to introduce me to WH4k.

Ghey
11-10-2010, 02:05 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/77/Henning_Mankell01.jpg/240px-Henning_Mankell01.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41IYeWeLPCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51jXLrEsVbL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Jeremy C
11-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Jeremy, I'm definitely getting the feeling I should not have started with this series to introduce me to WH4k.

Why you say that? I hadn't read any fluff before the Heresy series besides a couple Codices and some White Dwarf articles. From there, the only real background I had I got in the DoW games.

Or am I reading you wrong and you enjoy it?

stealthee
07-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Bump...

When I posted I hadn't picked up my book in 2 weeks. I actually did not pick it up again until about 2 weeks ago. I'm now winding down to the end. I will likely be finished tomorrow or Wednesday as long as nothing comes up and interrupts my reading.

Once finished I am likely going to go buy another book. Maybe another Follet novel. If his words are as powerful in his other stories are they are in Pillars, then I will be happy to read anything by him.

IPD
07-26-2011, 07:42 AM
air commando one - warren trest

i don't read for pleasure any more.

stealthee
11-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Bump it.

Just got Ken Follett's World Without End today. Had to order it to get it since I couldn't find it in any stores. Its supposed to be the sequel to Pillars of the Earth. Probably wont start readying it until later this week, just excited to have it in my hands. Anyone else into anything interesting?

eljefefx
11-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Why you say that? I hadn't read any fluff before the Heresy series besides a couple Codices and some White Dwarf articles. From there, the only real background I had I got in the DoW games.

Or am I reading you wrong and you enjoy it?

Love 'em. Pure pulp, but good. You need to try Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey.

AgentOblivious
11-28-2011, 08:07 PM
How to Rig an Election - Allen Raymond

Its an interesting book so far, short, sweet, witty, and full of punches at politicians of all stripes.

Turbo Beast
11-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Alaska bear tales (for my alaska trip, thanks father in-law for scaring me to death)

Not a good day to die (about operation Anaconda in the Shahikot valley in Durkastan)

Cant wait to start The Forgotten Highlander

guido1205us
11-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Green Eggs and Ham - been pretty difficult getting pass the first couple of pages, but my 4yr son and I persist!

:D

AgentOblivious
11-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Alaska bear tales (for my alaska trip, thanks father in-law for scaring me to death)

Not a good day to die (about operation Anaconda in the Shahikot valley in Durkastan)

Cant wait to start The Forgotten Highlander

Does Not a Good Day to Die cover just the americans, or the Canadians and Australians that were involved as well?

Turbo Beast
11-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Its the report of the whole operation, the Rakkasans, the task forces and the conventional army. So everybody involved is covered in it.

it even covers the Afghan militia that was hired by the US army

AgentOblivious
11-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Its the report of the whole operation, the Rakkasans, the task forces and the conventional army. So everybody involved is covered in it.

it even covers the Afghan militia that was hired by the US army

Sounds awesome...I was amazed when I heard that the Aussies stayed undetected the whole time...mind you our snipers breaking the world record for longest kill twice within a span of a couple hours wasn't too shabby either. Too bad about that SEAL though.

stealthee
12-06-2011, 11:26 PM
About 200 pages into World Without End now. Actually read about 100 pages tonight.

Its good when an author's desciptions of the characters and the scenes are so descriptive that reading actually makes you angry, sad, etc. My only problem is characters tend to get jumbled in my head and I get confused sometimes and mix people up. Always had that issue. Its part of the reason I really stopped reading for so long and why I hated English/Lit so much in HS and BOMBED that part of the SAT when I took it.

Turbo Beast
12-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Ya'll need to read Matterhorn, about Vietnam, pretty awesome book!

stealthee
12-06-2011, 11:38 PM
I'll have to finish this one first before I even think about the next book. Probably going to take me another 2 weeks or so to read. I have been thinking about reading Rose Madder again. I havent read it in probably 10 years. There is another one that I can't quite remember that I read right around the same time. Might be another King novel, but can't be certain. I'll have to ask my friend, I think she is the one who lent me the book all those years ago.

stealthee
12-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Just finished World Without End. Great book. I picked up Bone Machine by Martyn Waites the other day. I probably won't take long to finsih this. If it ends up sucking I am only out $3. lol

stealthee
01-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Where's all the readers? Just finished Bone Machine. I really liked it. Its actually the 2nd book of a series of books. Looks like there are 4 books total in the series, so I will end up seeing if I can pick the other 3 up used on Amazon or something.

Next book is another Follett novel titled Flight of the Hornet. Probably start it tomorrow.

beepbeep
01-25-2012, 09:42 PM
A good friend of mine is a major reader and is allowing me to come and raid his collection of over 1000 books before the transplant. I am going to let him do all the choosing, so we'll see what kind of fun I'll find.

stealthee
01-25-2012, 09:53 PM
I was looking on Amazon earlier trying to find the other 3 books I want, and there was one store that was asking $500 for one of the books. Another store had it for $3.95. I don't think the choice would be too hard there.

Valhallaz
01-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Love to read, but never seem to have a lot of time for it. I'd recently seen a thing on some forum or other listing the top 100 books of all time, and on counting, I'd read all but 8, and they're on my to do list. I'd read soup cans if there was nothing else around.

At the moment, finishing Tad Williams Shadowmarch series, and a couple times a week, I go through more of "The Elegant Universe". I've read that a half dozen times and prolly will a half dozen more, most of it I understand, but some of it I'll prolly never be able to grasp. It seems E=mc2 is a lot more complicated than it first appears.

wingnut
01-25-2012, 11:36 PM
thanks to some un-named yahoo on here...

Sandman Slim
Kill the dead
Aloha from Hell

...all three as funny as the previous :D

Jeremy C
01-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Where's all the readers?

Busy in the Warhammer 40K universe.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2205/img1404y.jpg

I'm in the Ciaphis Cain books, wife is in Eisenhorn. Only things left on the shelf that haven't been read are the Ultramarines books (the white ones) and the second Cain omnibus. Not pictured is Tales of Heresy which our oldest is reading right now (the gap on the 3rd shelf).

We'll be making a refill run next week for more since the next Heresy book is out. Those come one every 3 months or there bouts, so we stock up with a bunch more of these books for the wait on the next Heresy one.

So... yeah. Hi, I'm a 40K lore addict.

stealthee
01-26-2012, 09:36 PM
It's sad. The damn book has been sitting here the whole time and I keep calling it by the wrong name. It's actually called Hornet Flight. I started reading it tonight. Its about Nazi Germany's occupance of Denmark during World War II and how the main character discovers a radar station that has been used to destroy British air raids. I'm about 60 pages in already. I want to read more but am about to fall asleep.

stealthee
02-02-2012, 10:52 PM
So, I finished reading Hornet Flight tonight. I definitely recommend it, especially if you like World War II, espionage style books. Definitely a gripping read.

Turbo Beast
02-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Reading Empire of the summer moon. About Comanche Indians on the great plains, having a super hard time to stop reading.

stealthee
02-03-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm waiting to start my next book. I've been letting my magazine subscriptions pile up unread so I need to catch up on those.

stealthee
11-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Alright boys and girls. Reading weather is definitely upon us.

I just finished, yet, another Ken Follett book entitled Modigliani Scandal. Its got all kinds of deception and such in it. It started off slow, then picked up the pace in part 2. You start thinking you know how it will end, then when the ending happens you just go "What he hell?"

Next on my agenda is The Bone Yard by Jefferson Bass. I picked it up because I liked the synopsis on the back. If I don't like it, oh well.

vroom4
11-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Dont cut my head off, but I really cnat get into Dune. Im about 85% through the first book and am really having trouble with it.

wingnut
11-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Just finished "The Racketeer" by Grishom...GREAT read :D

IPD
11-30-2012, 09:31 PM
last "book" i read was the ISAF spins.

RealMcCoy
11-30-2012, 09:54 PM
thanks to some un-named yahoo on here...

Sandman Slim
Kill the dead
Aloha from Hell

...all three as funny as the previous :D

Pssst... I hear there's a #4 now. Haven't got it yet, but soon...

BladeOmega
12-01-2012, 04:25 AM
Unfortunately, I only read intermittently these days. I just finished reading Robert McCammon's "Speaks the Nightbird." It's historical fiction about a young man investigating the events surrounding a woman accused of witchcraft. Pretty good. McCammon has been one of my favorites forever. If any of you like Stephen King, you should definitely check out Robert McCammon. Also, somewhat recently read:
Stephen King
The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole

Robert McCammon
The Wolf's Hour
The Hunter from the Woods
The Five

And in the queue, too many to list.

nodoze
12-01-2012, 08:45 AM
currently reading " The Stig" haha had to order it from amazon.uk cause american amazon didnt have it yet

wingnut
12-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Pssst... I hear there's a #4 now. Haven't got it yet, but soon...

http://www.pokerforums.org/attachments/general-discussion/894d1184788608-omg-scandalz-11111-nowai-42443.jpg

beepbeep
12-01-2012, 05:36 PM
While in MD for Chris' transplant I read A LOT...Most of these were loaned to me by friends, family or folks up there.

(Finally finished) War and Peace
Persian Girls
3 Cups of Tea
Grapes of Wraith
Reading Lolita in Tehran
Lolita
All 7 of the Harry Potter books
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (1&2)
The Blindside

Since I have been home, I haven't read much. Nothing hear at the house and the local library has an incredibly limited selection.

stealthee
12-01-2012, 05:49 PM
You need to get yourself a Kindle or Kindle Fire and an Amazon Prime account. You'll never run out of books to read.

I don't have one, but I bought my mom a Fire for Christmas. If I like it I might end up getting one for myself.

wingnut
12-01-2012, 08:57 PM
You need to get yourself a Kindle or Kindle Fire and an Amazon Prime account. You'll never run out of books to read.

I don't have one, but I bought my mom a Fire for Christmas. If I like it I might end up getting one for myself.

meh, ive got ebooks thru the ipad...

...but i still like having an actual BOOK in hand, and to add to the shelf when im done :D

stealthee
12-01-2012, 10:24 PM
I totally agree on having the actual book. My gf and I were talking about it and being somewhere (a park, or waiting room or something) and holding a book can lead o interesting conversations, whereas holding a tablet people aren't going to look twice at you.

I'm not totally sold on reading on a tablet, but I'll see what my mom's Fire is like and make a decision later. The biggest advantage to the Fire though is having access to something like 300,000 books.

BladeOmega
12-02-2012, 01:58 AM
meh, ive got ebooks thru the ipad...

...but i still like having an actual BOOK in hand, and to add to the shelf when im done :D
I'm a sucker for a nice hardcover.

beepbeep
12-02-2012, 10:50 AM
I, too, much prefer a book in hand. Books that move me, I try to get on my shelf. Books that don't, I'm glad I can return. I mean, The Sisterhood was a cute book, aimed at young girls, but not one I'd like to see every time I walk by my bookshelf. :p The HP series, I wish I could add to my collection....but alas, they aren't mine.

Outside of that, I have to rely on loaned books and libraries, cos we're broke. While the Kindle is a nice idea, with the options is allows, it's nowhere on my radar. Thanks, tho.

eljefefx
12-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Try harder!!

bengeeee
12-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Currently trying to get through the Silmarillion in preperation for The Hobbit which is coming out soon. Yes I am a LOTR nerd.

BladeOmega
12-03-2012, 01:31 AM
Currently trying to get through the Silmarillion in preperation for The Hobbit which is coming out soon. Yes I am a LOTR nerd.
I'll probably catch some flak for this, but I read The Lord of the Rings nearly ten years back and found it to be a chore. My impression at the time was that it took forever to go anywhere, and it seemed that a character would break into song every other page. I did enjoy the movies, however.

IPD
12-03-2012, 11:16 AM
I'll probably catch some flak for this, but I read The Lord of the Rings nearly ten years back and found it to be a chore. My impression at the time was that it took forever to go anywhere, and it seemed that a character would break into song every other page. I did enjoy the movies, however.

movies aren't much different. i've personally always preferred lewis > tolkien.

BladeOmega
12-04-2012, 01:55 AM
movies aren't much different. i've personally always preferred lewis > tolkien.
I read the Chronicles of Narnia when I was a kid and I remember liking them. I also read one other book by C.S. Lewis, Out of the Silent Planet. I don't remember that one too well.

bengeeee
12-04-2012, 02:19 AM

Ha I love the LOTR trillogy, but the silmarillion is ungodly slow. It's basically the LOTR's bible, and feels just as long as the Old Testament. Considering the fact that he basically created this universe himself (with some finishing touches by his son) and it still commands so much attention today is impressive. He basically wrote several languages, and his lifes work has largly been the inspiration for an entire genra. 70 years later the LOTR is still a fan favorite. I'm curious to see how the three new hobbit movies turn out, considering they are basically going to be based on a single book that is shorter than each of the LOTR trillogy books which had their own movie. Granted, each movie is nearly 4 hours long and cut out significant material from the book. I just hope the movies don't stray too far from the original story line to the point of adding pointless filler.

BladeOmega
12-04-2012, 05:02 AM
Ha I love the LOTR trillogy, but the silmarillion is ungodly slow. It's basically the LOTR's bible, and feels just as long as the Old Testament. Considering the fact that he basically created this universe himself (with some finishing touches by his son) and it still commands so much attention today is impressive. He basically wrote several languages, and his lifes work has largly been the inspiration for an entire genra. 70 years later the LOTR is still a fan favorite.
Yeah, I'm well aware of the influence his work has had. I think it was mostly his pacing and his writing style with which I had issue. I mean, the story was good. It was just a chore for me to work my way through it.

While I'm dissing classical works... I read Dante's Divine Comedy a few years back, and that was not an easy read for me. It was the Longfellow translation, and he used a great deal of obscure language. I had to rely on the footnotes in order to figure out the meaning of the text.