PDA

View Full Version : Road Course Question about Helmet requirements.

2fnloud
02-15-2011, 11:13 PM
I am so a newb when it comes to Road Course / Auto Cross, but I noticed in the NG10 pics the drivers where wearing helmets.

My question "What kind of helmet do you need?"

Obviously, you can not sport a dirt bike helmet, so please tell me what do you need?

bluzvr4
02-15-2011, 11:43 PM
if its anything like at a drag strip it just has to be sneil (not sure if thats spelled right) approved

R/T93
02-16-2011, 12:15 AM
You could wear a motox helmet as long as it was Snell 2005/2010 approved. Most sanctioning bodies require the helmet to be within 10 years, so 2000's are too old.

2fnloud
02-16-2011, 12:28 AM
I am more thinking for the NG events, that is all. Thank you for the responses.

Alan92RTTT
02-16-2011, 01:02 AM
Here are the 2010 tech requirements http://www.3sng.org/files/NG10_techrequirments.pdf

I do not expect any real changes.

IPD
02-16-2011, 01:33 AM
shit, i can't access that at work. can i use any brand-new, full-face motorcycle helmet?

Alan92RTTT
02-16-2011, 01:40 AM
Safety Helmet: Bring your own safety helmet, it must be approved by Snell in the current or
two most recent ratings (e.g. if Snell 95 is in production then 90 and 85 are legal).

This could change as we get closer to the event and a post will be made when the requirements are final.

IPD
02-16-2011, 01:53 AM
any preference on SA vs. M or K? i'd like to get an M, so i'm already hooked up for when i get a bike (someday).

IPD
02-16-2011, 02:17 AM
...one more question:

any flip-up snell helmets available? i've never hunted for a helmet before, so i could use some help. any suggestions?

IPD
02-16-2011, 04:56 AM
ok, looks like m2010 and m2005 are the current snell sanctions for motorcycle helmets. i see that the zeus zs-3000 is listed as snell approved; but only in xs-m sizes (pretty sure i'm a large). does anyone else know of a modular/flip-up that will work?

i3igpete
02-16-2011, 09:57 AM
ok, looks like m2010 and m2005 are the current snell sanctions for motorcycle helmets. i see that the zeus zs-3000 is listed as snell approved; but only in xs-m sizes (pretty sure i'm a large). does anyone else know of a modular/flip-up that will work?

So how come none of these flip-up helmets are Snell certified? The short answer is that none of the flip-up helmets are certified because none of their manufacturers has submitted them for testing.

however, there ARE open face helments that are SA rated. Richard (barefoot) has an open face and he looks like speed racer with it on.

Goallie11
02-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Just go to a local motorcycle store (preferably a bigger one with lots of helmets) and look around, just about any M helmet is snell rated.

It'll be better for you to get an M if you want to get a bike later on too, I had my M helmet and they're perfectly legal at road coarse track days around here.

2fnloud
02-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Just go to a local motorcycle store (preferably a bigger one with lots of helmets) and look around, just about any M helmet is snell rated.

It'll be better for you to get an M if you want to get a bike later on too, I had my M helmet and they're perfectly legal at road coarse track days around here.

Thanks for the great advise but I will NEVER own a bike, I can promise you that. I might as well play Russian roulette if I did.

Alan92RTTT
02-16-2011, 02:34 PM
I got my helmet at a local motorcycle shop. I tried getting one one line but I found their idea of "large" and my idea of " large" were not the same thing so I had to send it back.

At the local shop I was able to try a few out and make sure the one I got fit.

i3igpete
02-16-2011, 02:40 PM

SA is a higher rating than M, just FYI. SA has to pass multiple impact test and fire test, whereas M is just single-impact. M is not legal for road course (in a car) except at certain rented events.

Goallie11
02-16-2011, 05:12 PM
If all he'll be using it for though is the occasional road course, the NG for example then I think M is fine, but if he does more racing then he should get an SA. Given of course that M will be accepted at the NG

Whenever I go to the road course most people just have a motorcycle helmet, and this is at Heartland Park in topeka.

IPD
02-16-2011, 06:30 PM
SA is a higher rating than M, just FYI. SA has to pass multiple impact test and fire test, whereas M is just single-impact. M is not legal for road course (in a car) except at certain rented events.

...i'd probably go with a hans-device too--if that were the case.

i'm really liking the zs-3000a though. any idea why DOT/EU certification is somehow "insufficient"?

Goallie11
02-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Snell has much higher safety standards, DOT really certifies anything just about.

R/T93
02-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Snell is rated for multiple impacts, DOT is not.

Goallie11
02-16-2011, 07:57 PM
No not true!

SA helmets are rated for multiple impacts, all M helmets are only rated for one.

IPD
02-16-2011, 08:15 PM
i'm not going for a 6-second 1/4 here. my car doesn't have a roll-cage (nor will it ever); it has full interior, and i won't be using a roll-bar or a restraining harness.

do i REALLY need an SA helmet? and is snell even that great--considering the arguments i've heard for why DOT-only helmets transfer less G-Forces to the skull than snell helmets?

Goallie11
02-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Whoever's told you that DOT rated helmets are better is trying to kill you. Never once have I heard anyone say it's ok to buy a DOT rated helmet only. Here's snell's latest safety standard, and you can check out their main site too to see more info. Snell demands more - M2010 (http://snellm2010.org/testingM2010.html). Also you're not buying a DOT or Snell helmet, they're both safety standards and any Snell helmet will be DOT approved, just look at almost any helmet and it'll have a snell and dot sticker.

Personally I don't think you need an SA helmet, if all you're doing is a couple track days an M helmet will work, Snell approved of course.

IPD
02-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off - Motorcyclist magazine (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html)

R/T93
02-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Owned

Goallie11
02-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Good article, and I now see what you're talking about. I'd find a helmet with the lowest G force transfer during a crash and get it.

i3igpete
02-17-2011, 11:54 AM
this discussion is irrelevant if your sanctioning body doesn't allow it. rented events like the NG where we "look the other way" are the exception, not the norm.

IPD
02-17-2011, 12:04 PM
pete, if you know of a good full-face, SA qualified helmet--that also meets DOT compliance for motorcycle use--AND is <$200, i'll buy it.

i3igpete
02-17-2011, 12:56 PM
thats a bit of a trick question, because M requires eyeport width measurement, whereas this isn't needed for SA. So although an SA helmet might meet the requirement for M, since it wasn't formally measured, it's not M certified.

but there are plenty of SA helmets that would qualify for M (just not certified). Here are some open-face SA helmets with tons of viewing angle.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VMS-250116
http://www.soloracer.com/pyroopenfacesa.html

Chatzvr4
02-17-2011, 01:13 PM
i'm not going for a 6-second 1/4 here. my car doesn't have a roll-cage (nor will it ever); it has full interior, and i won't be using a roll-bar or a restraining harness.

do i REALLY need an SA helmet? and is snell even that great--considering the arguments i've heard for why DOT-only helmets transfer less G-Forces to the skull than snell helmets?

90% of motorcycle helmets are snell and dot approved. pick up a nice shoei helmet and you will be just fine
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/hjc-rps-10-matte-full-face-helmet/03-0801-0135-03.aspx

and for the inexpensive route http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/hjc-cl-sp-full-face-helmet/035-350-620.aspx

2fnloud
02-17-2011, 01:24 PM
The only reason I posted this thread is because I am not going to miss out on the indy lap or road coarse because I do not own a helmet. Honestly at NG would be the only time I would be using it.

Goallie11
02-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Then an M helmet would be just fine, assuming they allow it. It'd be stupid if they don't because most people aren't going to buy an SA helmet for one event.

Although looking around they don't seem to be much more expensive.

i3igpete
02-17-2011, 04:29 PM
It'd be stupid if they don't because most people aren't going to buy an SA helmet for one event.

careful with this one. this is a huge liability that the organizers have taken by allowing people to tech themselves and use M helmets. check your personal health insurance policies - i know for a fact that allstate will deny your claim if something happens at a racetrack, in which case you will need to depend on the organizer's insurance. for example, SCCA uses a $100k health coverage plan for HPDE participants, but given any chance you can bet your ass the insurance co. will find a reason to deny your head injury claim.

IPD
02-18-2011, 01:35 AM
no problem. i'll just file for medicaid/medicare. i gotta get me some o' that obama money!