PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Front Driver Rattling noise

YoshiBishi
02-10-2011, 05:45 PM
I am getting a very weird rattling noise when I hit small potholes at low speeds as well as hitting hitting pavement changes (not sure what to call this, but where they decided to patch up a section of highway by just laying some new pavement down so it is an inch higher for a stretch of highway) on the highway at high speeds.

The rattling sounds like it is coming from the front drivers side area. When I hit these potholes / pavement changes, the steering wheel shakes pretty violently and you can hear something rattling around for a bit until it evens itself out. Usually it rattles 5 or 6 times before it balances out again. Any ideas?

I'll try to get a video of it, but my exhaust noises seem to always drown it out.

green-lantern
02-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Sounds dangerous!

Could be a tie rod, ball joint or strut insulator to name a few.

YoshiBishi
02-10-2011, 06:01 PM
3sx said my tie rod had a bit of play, but nothing to be worried about... It feels and sounds like I should be worrying.

DocWalt
02-11-2011, 09:04 AM
I'd jack the car up, put it on jack stands, and then jack every control arm up individually (carefully, they're stamped steel and relatively easy to damage) to unbind the suspension joints. Now, try to turn the wheel (not the steering wheel, hehe) at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions to check the tie rods and rack for looseness. Watch the outer and inner tie rods especially carefully. Now, grab the wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to jerk it up and down to check the ball joint and strut for play.

After I replaced the outer & inner tie rods, I still had play from front to rear. The lower control arm bushings were totally trashed and the control arm was moving, so that's something to look for as well.

YoshiBishi
02-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Okay thanks for the info, will give this a go.