PDA

View Full Version : 70mm Billet throttle body on sale now!

Chatzvr4
02-08-2011, 12:37 PM
ALL SALES OF THROTTLE BODIES HAVE BEEN PUT ON HOLD AS SEVERAL OF THEM HAVE DEVELOPED BAD SEALS. WE ARE WORKIGN WITH CX AND THE MANUFACTURER TO CORRECT THE ISSUE SO THESE AWESOME THROTTLE BODIES CAN CONTINUE BEING DISTRIBUTED
http://www.cxracing.com/product/cxracing39/TB-3000GT-70/images/1.jpg
http://www.cxracing.com/product/cxracing39/TB-3000GT-70/images/4.jpg
http://www.cxracing.com/product/cxracing39/TB-3000GT-70/images/3.jpg

FeaRpb
02-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Looks nice.

OBXBoost
02-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Polished option? Annodized option?

Chatzvr4
02-08-2011, 03:33 PM

no sorry these are already assembled units. But they look a better the most options out there

mb7050
02-08-2011, 05:00 PM
will this work with OEM intake plenum ?

Chatzvr4
02-08-2011, 05:04 PM
will this work with OEM intake plenum ?

yes it will

mb7050
02-08-2011, 05:11 PM
what a nice product !
what happens to FIAV, just plug it out ?

Chatzvr4
02-08-2011, 10:59 PM
what a nice product !
what happens to FIAV, just plug it out ?

yeah, decided to completely remove that horrible thing.
its known to leak. plus after a while of removing the plenum to get to your spark plugs the lines wear and tear on you. pain in the ass IMO...

R/T93
02-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Any dyno or street results?

jba3
02-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Sweet! Are the vac nipples threaded / removable / pluggable?

IPD
02-09-2011, 12:01 AM

first thing that came to mind. it would look sweet if it matched my FMIC core. ;)

*edit*

so with the FIAV delete, if it's say, 15 degrees F outside & i go to start my car, i'd have to manually sit there & hold the gas till it warms up?

Chatzvr4
02-09-2011, 12:42 AM
Sweet! Are the vac nipples threaded / removable / pluggable?

Yes all of the above

TUFFTR
02-09-2011, 01:25 AM
Holy CRAP that is a SWEET product! all OEM things too, no different TPS or ISC, man....I need to find $280!!!!!!

GTO Assassin
02-09-2011, 01:42 AM
Great looking product with an even better price. Thank you.

Scotty

TUFFTR
02-09-2011, 02:13 AM
Also, my MAIN question as I'm so freeken tempted to buy this, what is the maximum the intake manifold can be bored out too? IIRC it cant be bored out much more.

IPD
02-09-2011, 02:48 AM
i've heard of people trying to use 90mm throttle bodies...

...but i'm guessing they also have a plenum with a larger surge tank.

mb7050
02-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Also, my MAIN question as I'm so freeken tempted to buy this, what is the maximum the intake manifold can be bored out too? IIRC it cant be bored out much more.

if you are crazy enough 70mm might be possible but it gets quite close to the mounting holes (5mm)
http://www.3sgto.org/f13/oem-intake-60mm-70mm-3594.html#post64815.

hmm. mayby I have to try I have 3 spare plenums :D

OEM opening is 60mm

This really is a damn nice product I f***** hate the OEM TB because it ALWAYS leaks and the FIAV is just plain stupid system anyway.

TUFFTR
02-09-2011, 07:04 AM
It would be good if we could have a review of some sort on these before I put down my hard earned. As in someone to road test the product would be sweet.

FeaRpb
02-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Im with Tufftr on that one.

Chatzvr4
02-09-2011, 09:47 AM
i've heard of people trying to use 90mm throttle bodies...

...but i'm guessing they also have a plenum with a larger surge tank.

a 90 mm can be used with a adapter plate which is useless considering the plenum is a bottle neck. I have been running one of these for about a year now. we tested the very first unit before production. There are 3 key features here. 1) slightly larger TB means no reducer needed from ic pipe to tb 2)no boost leaks!!!! 3)looks a hell of a lot better. You can bore the plenum out to 70mm and still have enough wall thickness.

gltasn
02-09-2011, 10:09 AM
first thing that came to mind. it would look sweet if it matched my FMIC core. ;)

*edit*

so with the FIAV delete, if it's say, 15 degrees F outside & i go to start my car, i'd have to manually sit there & hold the gas till it warms up?

i will prob buy one but i need to know if what ipd says holds true. i live in ak and prob wont even see temps above 55 till may but, i can start driving her april 1st(seasonal tags), its my fav day of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! would the lack of the fiav suck in the cold climates? hell i still will get one to try and see if my dash pot was really needed and my stocker tb looks nasty compared to the rest of my engine anyway.

Chatzvr4
02-09-2011, 11:37 AM
i will prob buy one but i need to know if what ipd says holds true. i live in ak and prob wont even see temps above 55 till may but, i can start driving her april 1st(seasonal tags), its my fav day of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! would the lack of the fiav suck in the cold climates? hell i still will get one to try and see if my dash pot was really needed and my stocker tb looks nasty compared to the rest of my engine anyway.

I am not sure mainly because i live in CA and haven never seen weather that cold lol. But what i did notice it just idles a little low untill it is warmed up. so it should just not warm up as quick

jba3
02-09-2011, 11:48 AM

I've seen people say yes, and I've seen people say bumping the idle up to around 1k rpm means you don't have to. Interested in hearing how it works on Chatz's car, since I don't have any engine management piggybacks yet. I did the FIAV blockoff on my evo and a friend has had it on his for years, but he had to adjust the warmup section of the ECU.

Chatzvr4
02-09-2011, 11:55 AM
I've seen people say yes, and I've seen people say bumping the idle up to around 1k rpm means you don't have to. Interested in hearing how it works on Chatz's car, since I don't have any engine management piggybacks yet. I did the FIAV blockoff on my evo and a friend has had it on his for years, but he had to adjust the warmup section of the ECU.

I just hold the throttle for about 5 sec then let it idle.

jba3
02-09-2011, 12:09 PM
I just hold the throttle for about 5 sec then let it idle.

Are you idling ~750rpm or something else? Can you try setting idle to 1k rpm and see if you have to hold the throttle at all?

gltasn
02-09-2011, 12:17 PM
I am not sure mainly because i live in CA and haven never seen weather that cold lol. But what i did notice it just idles a little low untill it is warmed up. so it should just not warm up as quick

guess i can buy a few extra tb gaskets (and waste a whole 15 minutes of my day,lol) to swap back to the stocker till the weather warms up.

Chatzvr4
02-09-2011, 12:18 PM
im idling at 750-800. When my iac was bad i turned up the idle to 1050-11 and in the mornings i could use the remote start. I haven't tried it since i replaced the iac

jba3
02-09-2011, 12:23 PM
im idling at 750-800. When my iac was bad i turned up the idle to 1050-11 and in the mornings i could use the remote start. I haven't tried it since i replaced the iac

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Awesome. :D

I'll be ordering one later today - whats the paypal address?

Chatzvr4
02-09-2011, 01:09 PM
paypal is paypal@splitsecondmotorsports.com

IPD
02-09-2011, 04:17 PM
yeah...remote start is what would worry me about this. guess i can always adjust the biss for winter use & just live with the high idle. i'll hold off for now till i see some more people running it.

p.s.

in for a black anodized option....someday.

Chatzvr4
02-09-2011, 06:05 PM
yeah...remote start is what would worry me about this. guess i can always adjust the biss for winter use & just live with the high idle. i'll hold off for now till i see some more people running it.

p.s.

These units were placed on consignment with me so ill have them untill supplies run out. I think i may just pay for one myself and pull it apart for anodizing in black with a purple throttle lever lol. honestly i really dont want to pull one apart because they are sealed very well. maybe i can get them to give me one before assembly

Rebel
02-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Have they made the revision to fit the brown IAC's yet?

IPD
02-09-2011, 06:40 PM
These units were placed on consignment with me so ill have them untill supplies run out. I think i may just pay for one myself and pull it apart for anodizing in black with a purple throttle lever lol. honestly i really dont want to pull one apart because they are sealed very well. maybe i can get them to give me one before assembly

yeah, i wanted to ask about the IAC as well.

...if you can get your supplier to anodize it as an option before assembly, i may just have to pony up. :)

TUFFTR
02-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Have they made the revision to fit the brown IAC's yet?

I found a way around this. New model Diamante's (2000+) run the black ISC. Only problem is these can still fail like the brown ones. which is why everytime i go to the wreckers I pick me up 2 or 3 of them. Should be very cheap if not erm free to get a black one next time your at the wreckers.

TUFFTR
02-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Is there an oem style throttle bypass screw?! I cant see one and i dont see it listed in the features/specz. If it does i am down like charlie brown

jba3
02-10-2011, 01:03 PM

p.s.

If you have engine management that can control the warm-up for the car, it'll work perfectly fine.

Chatzvr4
02-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Is there an oem style throttle bypass screw?! I cant see one and i dont see it listed in the features/specz. If it does i am down like charlie brown

It does have an idle screw like our stock one . If thats what you mean

TUFFTR
02-10-2011, 03:49 PM
It does have an idle screw like our stock one . If thats what you mean

Yep thats what I mean.
Know I know I'm dreaming here but can't hurt to ask, Could you do the $280 shipped to Australia?

TUFFTR
02-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Soooo ahhhhh anyone else going to snap up one of these?

Patryn
02-14-2011, 12:06 PM
I have been running one of these since Fall. It works fine without the FIAV even in freezing weather. It works fine without the idle adjustment screw as well. You will notice the idle stays around 750 or so. With that being said if it isn't idling correctly look to you IAC or another area. The IAC on my car is doing well at keeping the car running. I have one of the older style ones, but fitting the brown IAC was not hard. Just got to trim it which is easy enough to do with a dremel and cuting wheel. The throttle body bolted up just as easy as the stock one does. You may or may not need to remove the dashpot. I removed mine and still have no issue. This is running on stock ECU with no piggiebacks or engine management. Its a fairly good deal and removes a bottleneck if you have 3 inch cold side intercooler piping. Can't say that I noticed any power out of it, but I would say the throttle seems tighter than stock, probably due to a stiffer spring on the CXracing throttle body.

TUFFTR
02-15-2011, 01:29 AM
Well for my N/A application I am keen to see how this goes.
Good to see it functions like stock. Just paid for mine yesterday. ECU doesnt run the idle motor just yet so it just runs off the ECU, idle is a bit iffy on warm starts lol

cannot wait to use it!

gltasn
02-15-2011, 10:10 PM
just ordered mine today also picked up a set of carbon fiber hood props. if you have a few minutes check out his site and see how crazy his prices are!Split Second Motorsports - Performance Parts (http://splitsecondmotorsports.com/)

gltasn
02-16-2011, 10:03 AM
forgot to ask, will this need gaskets?

TUFFTR
02-16-2011, 05:14 PM
It'll def need a gasket to mate to the intake manifold. I'm just gonna buy a blank paper sheet and cut my own one out.

Chatzvr4
02-16-2011, 05:18 PM
It'll def need a gasket to mate to the intake manifold. I'm just gonna buy a blank paper sheet and cut my own one out.

Just finished packing them up. I will be launching one out to Australia today.

mb7050
02-16-2011, 05:24 PM
I will def buy this if I manage to bore my intakemani Im so tired of fixing the oem all over again and again

TUFFTR
02-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Just finished packing them up. I will be launching one out to Australia today.

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
(excited as you can tell:P)
Do they come with a gasket as mentioned? not fussed if they don't.

I'll be getting mine polished to a mirror finish and clearcoated before it goes on.......love plished aluminium

gltasn
02-16-2011, 09:18 PM
tuffter, better cut 2 gaskets. you'll need one for each side. im down with polished!

TUFFTR
02-17-2011, 01:37 AM
tuffter, better cut 2 gaskets. you'll need one for each side. im down with polished!

You've ahhhhhhhhhhhh lost me a bit there, 2 sides? You only need one for TB face > intake manifold. What other gasket is there?!

gltasn
02-17-2011, 10:11 AM
You've ahhhhhhhhhhhh lost me a bit there, 2 sides? You only need one for TB face > intake manifold. What other gasket is there?!

freakin weird but i had actually thought you needed 2 one for each side like a tb spacer. duh.... man my brain needs a brake from all this mind numbing cold(been about 0-5 lately). see i blamed it on the cold, ha!

Chatzvr4
02-17-2011, 10:19 AM
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
(excited as you can tell:P)
Do they come with a gasket as mentioned? not fussed if they don't.

I'll be getting mine polished to a mirror finish and clearcoated before it goes on.......love plished aluminium

No they didnt come with gasket but they did come with IAC seal, mounting bolts(black) and vacuum bungs and plugs. post pics of the polished unit when it is done

Lancelot_GT
02-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Hey, what size throttle is on a 6G74? I'm thinking this would be a worthwhile upgrade when I go 3.5 in the near future, it should help the car breath a little better

TUFFTR
02-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Hey, what size throttle is on a 6G74? I'm thinking this would be a worthwhile upgrade when I go 3.5 in the near future, it should help the car breath a little better

60mm TB Like the TT 3000GT models. So definitely a worth while mod I think. Well, time will tell of course. Will be tuning this with the 272 cams aswell.

R/T93
02-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Everyone always says the 60mm TB is good enough, every thread I see on the TB has guys posting, "Well xxx hit 900 hp with his stock one so its good enough".

Well plenty of other platforms have bigger throttle bodies, and they all improve horsepower. Whos to say a car that makes 900 hp with a 60mm TB wont make 940 with a 70?

Cant wait to see results from those who dyno with this thing.

IPD
02-18-2011, 11:46 PM
it's hard to say with certainty where the "bottleneck" is. however, given the size of the plenum; i'd say that a bigger throttle body makes the most sense if you also switch to a larger surge tank (minimum) or bigger plenum (preferred).

at that point though...i begin to wonder about just going to a 90mm....

TUFFTR
02-19-2011, 03:47 AM
it's hard to say with certainty where the "bottleneck" is. however, given the size of the plenum; i'd say that a bigger throttle body makes the most sense if you also switch to a larger surge tank (minimum) or bigger plenum (preferred).

at that point though...i begin to wonder about just going to a 90mm....

Problem is, AFAIK very little of the OEM sensors will bolt up. this means more work for you to modify shit that otherwise doesn't need to be modded in this case. This is why I never got an aftermarket TB as I ceebs customising shit again.

i think the plenium in an NA should be big enough....Well my butterflys are in the open position so its like I have a much bigger plenium anyway :P

Lancelot_GT
02-19-2011, 05:30 AM
60mm TB Like the TT 3000GT models. So definitely a worth while mod I think. Well, time will tell of course. Will be tuning this with the 272 cams aswell.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eye on this then, because staying NA for now will probably reasonably benefit from better flow at the TB

whitedevilstealth
02-20-2011, 03:43 PM
How many do you have left bro?

Lancelot_GT
02-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Wow, I just checked out split second motorsports website, and they've got some fantastic prices! Just added you guys to my bookmarked pages, probably gonna grab a radiator and radiator pipes from you guys this summer. Glad someone mentioned your website. This is not going to be good for my finances haha

Chatzvr4
02-21-2011, 10:42 AM
How many do you have left bro?

we have about 12 units left

TurboSinceBirth
02-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Tempting... I'll have to think about it but I'd like to get one at some point. :)

stealthII
03-03-2011, 03:16 PM
$ sent for one. Sweet deal BTW!

Thanks,

Richie

Chatzvr4
03-03-2011, 03:31 PM
$ sent for one. Sweet deal BTW!

Thanks,

Richie

Please take a picture of it installed
i would love to see this installed on your bay

stealthII
03-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Please take a picture of it installed
i would love to see this installed on your bay

Sure thing. I just pulled my TB last night and thought, this thing has to go. :D

Chatzvr4
03-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Sure thing. I just pulled my TB last night and thought, this thing has to go. :D

i agree with this post. this deletes the fiav also. just some fyi

KeithMac
03-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Any left?.

Chatzvr4
03-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Any left?.

Got about 12 left

KeithMac
03-03-2011, 06:30 PM
I`d like one and a Cianci Duck Bill posting to the UK, if you can manage to get reasonable shipping can you PM me a price for both please?.

Do these throttle bodies take the MK1 IAC servo motor?.

Cheers, Keith.

Chatzvr4
03-03-2011, 06:34 PM
I`d like one and a Cianci Duck Bill posting to the UK, if you can manage to get reasonable shipping can you PM me a price for both please?.

Do these throttle bodies take the MK1 IAC servo motor?.

Cheers, Keith.

zip code?

KeithMac
03-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Yo265aa

Chatzvr4
03-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Yo265aa

Thats the zip for the UK

DuTTch
03-03-2011, 07:22 PM
I have been running one of these since Fall. It works fine without the FIAV even in freezing weather. It works fine without the idle adjustment screw as well. You will notice the idle stays around 750 or so. With that being said if it isn't idling correctly look to you IAC or another area. The IAC on my car is doing well at keeping the car running. I have one of the older style ones, but fitting the brown IAC was not hard. Just got to trim it which is easy enough to do with a dremel and cuting wheel. The throttle body bolted up just as easy as the stock one does. You may or may not need to remove the dashpot. I removed mine and still have no issue. This is running on stock ECU with no piggiebacks or engine management. Its a fairly good deal and removes a bottleneck if you have 3 inch cold side intercooler piping. Can't say that I noticed any power out of it, but I would say the throttle seems tighter than stock, probably due to a stiffer spring on the CXracing throttle body.

Tell me. do you have a stock plenum and if you do, did you port it out to better mate them. This is 61mm vs 70mm. The fact the neck of a stock plenum is an 69mm outside diameter makes me ask how deep did you port if at all or there an adapter plate somewhere?

Patryn
03-04-2011, 08:48 AM
I did not do any porting. I installed it in the fall just to test it out. It fit, as in no leaks or any issues physically mating to the stock plenum. I have an aftermarket plenum too, but never got around to installing it and getting it to run right. Bought one of the ultimate performance plenums, but something about the flanges on it are uneven causing it to not seal correctly and leak air. To much time in Iraq an not at home. However, I really didn't run into any issue other than the few mods I made in my previous post.

Chatzvr4
03-09-2011, 01:31 PM
4 units left and i believe there will not be any more production of these so get them while they last

DuTTch
03-09-2011, 01:39 PM
I did not do any porting. I installed it in the fall just to test it out. It fit, as in no leaks or any issues physically mating to the stock plenum. I have an aftermarket plenum too, but never got around to installing it and getting it to run right. Bought one of the ultimate performance plenums, but something about the flanges on it are uneven causing it to not seal correctly and leak air. To much time in Iraq an not at home. However, I really didn't run into any issue other than the few mods I made in my previous post.

Guys I really need an answer on the porting of the stock plenum, has anybody done this? If you dont do this there is still the same bottle neck and flow is interupted. You are mating a 70mm throttlebody to an 60.9mm plenum intake?

Chatzvr4
03-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Guys I really need an answer on the porting of the stock plenum, has anybody done this? If you dont do this there is still the same bottle neck and flow is interupted. You are mating a 70mm throttlebody to an 60.9mm plenum intake?

I would recommend a tapered to a 64mm bore anything more may be a little too much for the stock plenum. run the taper just the length of the flange

KeithMac
03-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Did you have any joy with the Duckbill and have you put me a throttle body to one side?.

Chatzvr4
03-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Did you have any joy with the Duckbill and have you put me a throttle body to one side?.

Yes. i have duckbill in box and throttle body on the side. we have somebody who is interested in the duckbill so let me know. 4 throttle bodies left

KeithMac
03-09-2011, 04:57 PM
I`ll have both please, do you want me to paypal tonight?.

Chatzvr4
03-09-2011, 05:23 PM
I`ll have both please, do you want me to paypal tonight?.

sounds good.

KeithMac
03-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Just sent you the money and a PM!.

Cheers!.

iceorphen
03-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Hold one for me, ill send payment tomorrow :)

Chatzvr4
03-09-2011, 06:29 PM

sounds good

DuTTch
03-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Intake definitly needs to be bored out tapered.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t26/duchguy/DSCF3234.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t26/duchguy/DSCF3235.jpg

DuTTch
03-09-2011, 06:33 PM
@chatzvr4

The machine guys were thinking about welding more alumnium onto the neck of the plenum and bore deeper, you see that as a viable option?

IPD
03-09-2011, 06:52 PM
i'd think that if you were going to go to that much trouble, why not overhaul the surge tank while you're at it? i would think it wouldn't be too hard if you're keeping the stock runners.

Chatzvr4
03-09-2011, 06:53 PM
@chatzvr4

The machine guys were thinking about welding more alumnium onto the neck of the plenum and bore deeper, you see that as a viable option?

yea, but i wouldnt trust it. i would have them re-neck it

TUFFTR
03-10-2011, 02:29 AM
is that the 70mm or 76mm TB shown in the picture?
Stupid postal service, hurry up and deliver mine!

DuTTch
03-10-2011, 02:33 AM
mu pic is 70mm

Lancelot_GT
03-10-2011, 02:53 AM
Intake definitly needs to be bored out tapered.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t26/duchguy/DSCF3234.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t26/duchguy/DSCF3235.jpg

Time to polish the plenum so they match better :D

Chatzvr4
03-10-2011, 10:56 AM

no problem which puts us down to 2 left besides our private stash

iceorphen
03-10-2011, 07:29 PM
payment+pm sent :)

mannavr4
03-11-2011, 05:42 AM
pm sent

Chatzvr4
03-11-2011, 11:02 AM
pm sent

pm replied

mannavr4
03-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Yes! I got me one. That means only one left.

Chatzvr4
03-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Yes! I got me one. That means only one left.

Yes that is correct I have one left besides my personal stash which i dont know if ill let go of or not lol

TUFFTR
03-18-2011, 01:28 AM
Gave her a quick polish!
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/dodgeviper89/IMG_0574.jpg

DuTTch
03-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Gave her a quick polish!
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/dodgeviper89/IMG_0574.jpg

did u bore out the plenum?

TUFFTR
03-18-2011, 02:57 AM
No sir I did not! however will try and do it myself this week OR ring up a few engineering joints and see if they can do it. hopefully the idle screw it has works but i was more under the impression it had a bypass system like the factory one, this one just holds the throttle open more, which i dont want as then the TPS reading will be higher and thus not be in an idle state.

So eh, will work around it (aftermarket ECU and I dont have the idle motor working yet)
Either way, its a beautiful work of art. really is.

Chatzvr4
03-18-2011, 10:44 AM
gave her a quick polish!
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/dodgeviper89/img_0574.jpg

nice!!!

iceorphen
03-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Ive got a little ding on the plenum side of mine, hopefully it wont be an issue when i goto install it, weather is getting nice enough now

TUFFTR
03-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Thinking I might get a dremel into my spare one, see how that goes.

TUFFTR
03-24-2011, 03:15 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/dodgeviper89/70mmTB.jpg
Sexyness!!!!

VR-4 0wnz j00
03-24-2011, 03:44 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/dodgeviper89/70mmTB.jpg
Sexyness!!!!

Sexy minus the stock airbox, lol.

Lancelot_GT
03-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Ooh, purrty. Did you notice is affect the idle, performance, or anything about the car or does it just look sexy?

TUFFTR
03-24-2011, 06:49 AM
Nope, you open the butterly a bee's dick (acts as the manual throttle bypass) and it idles like normal (as im not running an idle motor YET)
tomorrow will be its first drive, so ill report back then...

I keep the stock airbox as a stock engine bay means less hassle from the popo ;)

gltasn
03-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Nope, you open the butterly a bee's dick (acts as the manual throttle bypass) and it idles like normal (as im not running an idle motor YET)
tomorrow will be its first drive, so ill report back then...

I keep the stock airbox as a stock engine bay means less hassle from the popo ;)

ive seen stock airboxes that were cut out and open on the bottom if you want a little more flow and keep the that stock look.

TUFFTR
03-24-2011, 09:24 PM
ive seen stock airboxes that were cut out and open on the bottom if you want a little more flow and keep the that stock look.

Way ahead of ya mate. Sorta needed to do it for my aftermarket wiring going to the ECU. But yeah, after aftermarket intake upon aftermarket intake, you get over it really bad. Stock is great. Cops dont give you any hassle and Honestly.......I couldnt tell the difference in sound.

Chris@Rvengeperformance
03-26-2011, 09:03 PM
I always hoped that Austrailia was closer to Mad Max than Kalifornia!

TUFFTR
03-27-2011, 06:11 AM
I havent seen mad max (I know UNREAL YEAH) so ahhh...not sure what ya on about there :P

jessecain1
03-31-2011, 02:35 PM
tufftr how'd it go any updates?

TUFFTR
03-31-2011, 07:26 PM
Took it for a good fang the other day, does feel very responsive down low, like most of the feelings with this new TB could just be seat of the pants kinda thing, the car does feel different though. Not a huge increase or anything (as any other N/A modification really) but it did feel nicer to drive for some weird reason.
N/A intake manifold doesnt look like it can be ported out though. Might need to go back to a TT manifold and get that ported (aluminium is thicker too on a TT one) on the N/A intake manifold the walls are VERYYYYY thin, at very best i could smooth the entry to the manifold but its still gonna have a 70 > 60mm reduction at the face.
GR

DuTTch
03-31-2011, 07:30 PM
I send my spare 96 TT plenum to GTWizard to have the intake modified to fit the TB. I really dont think its a good idea to have a wall there blocking the air. I will posts pics when I get it back.

TUFFTR
04-01-2011, 01:12 AM
I send my spare 96 TT plenum to GTWizard to have the intake modified to fit the TB. I really dont think its a good idea to have a wall there blocking the air. I will posts pics when I get it back.

Exactly, not a good idea at all. Will have to keep us updated with what the manifold looks like. Very keen to see what the end result is like!

BA TURBO
04-06-2011, 02:27 PM
DuTTch, any word on how your manifold is turning out? Very interested in the results.

Bob-

DuTTch
04-06-2011, 05:14 PM
DuTTch, any word on how your manifold is turning out? Very interested in the results.

Bob-

Its in the mail back to em as we speak, I saw some pics but I want to see it for myself first.

BA TURBO
04-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Duttch, did you get it back, how'd it look?

Bob-

TUFFTR
04-18-2011, 08:44 AM
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr343/GTwizard/S6307329.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr343/GTwizard/S6307278.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr343/GTwizard/S6307286.jpg

from my intake manifold thread

BA TURBO
04-18-2011, 09:01 AM
That looks pretty good, you happy with that? Is there enough meat there to take more out if you want to?

I'm taking my plenum to a machine shop today to see what they can do with it.

Bob-

DuTTch
04-18-2011, 12:10 PM
No, he thinks he send it parcel post 8-10 days wtf. lol. So today is day 10, keep my fingers crossed, no tracking on it grrrrrr but it looks like the one above pretty much. And no there aint no more meat on th inside lol.

BA TURBO
04-18-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm going to do mine myself, took it to a machine shop I use and he's too busy too get to it any time soon. I'll post results.

Bob-

stealthII
04-18-2011, 02:20 PM
I dremeled mine out earlier and it turned out pretty good. No more "walls". I didn't port it out as much as I would have liked, but it will work. I also took some 1000 grit sand paper and polished it up. What are you guys doing for porting the metal gasket? I just RTV'd my throttle body to the intake plenum for right now. Not the best approach but it works for right now until I find another gasket. Also, have any of you guys pressure tested these things? I tested mine and it seems to be leaking pretty bad. I'm still trying to find out exactly where it's leaking from, but it appears to be from the spring in the back.

BA TURBO
04-18-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm going to try a die grinder and see how that goes. Not sure yet how I'm going to cut the metal gasket, may use a paper gasket with some RTV.
That's not good news about the air leak.
Mine should be delivered today, can't wait to check it out.

Bob-

KeithMac
04-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Got mine today, looks great!. Got a spare manifold kicking around and my die-grinder so I`ll have to get busy at the weekend..

DuTTch
04-18-2011, 03:47 PM
we dont like no leaks

stealthII
04-18-2011, 05:25 PM
I'll be doing some more testing tonight to see exactly where this leak is coming from. I pushed 20 PSI through the intake system and it drained pretty quick. I also noticed that there are two threaded holes above the throttle body plate spring. What are those for? If you take a look at the first page in this thread, the 2nd picture shows what I am referring to. Are these supposed to be plugged?

TUFFTR
04-18-2011, 08:03 PM
I just made my own gasket from paper and cut it to size, took me 5 minutes with a sharp blade.

Chatzvr4
04-18-2011, 08:46 PM
I'll be doing some more testing tonight to see exactly where this leak is coming from. I pushed 20 PSI through the intake system and it drained pretty quick. I also noticed that there are two threaded holes above the throttle body plate spring. What are those for? If you take a look at the first page in this thread, the 2nd picture shows what I am referring to. Are these supposed to be plugged?

those holes you speak of is to mount this hideous thing back on

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Chatz13/stock3stb-1.jpg

stealthII
04-19-2011, 12:20 AM
those holes you speak of is to mount this hideous thing back on

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/Chatz13/stock3stb-1.jpg

Hmm, is that really necessary? As I am aware, it's just to ease the throttle back into the "closed" position instead of slamming shut. I wonder if it will make a difference to keep it off.

Either way,

My TB is definitely leaking. I first found a leak by my EGT delete/block off plate. I pulled the manifold and fixed that. I then pressurized the intake system to about 15 PSI and sure enough, still air coming from the TB area. I sprayed down the area with some soapy water in hopes of finding out where it was coming from, but I am pretty sure it's coming from the seal within the spring. When I played with the throttle (attempting to move the plate/shaft up and down), I could hear the hissing change.

So I am trying to guess what to do here. The leak is pretty big (can't hold decent pressure for more than a few seconds). So I don't feel comfortable in boosting reliably with it. But I am not sure if tearing the spring/seals apart would void any warranty. But I also wonder if anyone's is doing the same thing.

DuTTch
04-19-2011, 12:40 AM
ohoh nationwide recall

Chatzvr4
04-19-2011, 03:30 AM
ohoh nationwide recall

I Dont think so. First time I've heard of this. Installed a couple locally and no leaks.

stealthII
04-19-2011, 04:38 AM
Should i go ahead and disassemble this thing? I just bought this thing last month and haven't even used it. :(

BA TURBO
04-19-2011, 08:20 AM
I just made my own gasket from paper and cut it to size, took me 5 minutes with a sharp blade.

Did you use any type of gasket sealer?

TUFFTR
04-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Nope! I don't use goo on any intake parts. If that shit oozes out I really don't want it going into my motor.

BA TURBO
04-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Understood about the goo concerns, it seems that one of the areas I have had issues with in the past as far as sealing properly is the mating of the throttle body and plenum.

Ginseng
04-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Should i go ahead and disassemble this thing? I just bought this thing last month and haven't even used it. :(

You can send it back and have it exchanged for another one

DuTTch
04-19-2011, 01:45 PM
I think mine got lost in the mail, fack

ZKruly87
04-19-2011, 06:11 PM
hey TUFFTR. have you given any thought to getting the surge tank portion on you NA plenum remade. because the runner portion can be removed i have seen that some people just have a new larger surge tank made and bolt it on

DuTTch
04-19-2011, 06:13 PM
pffff my plenum with tb finally came back to me. It looks identical to the earlier posted pics lol

stealthII
04-19-2011, 09:21 PM
You can send it back and have it exchanged for another one

PM Sent! Thanks!

TUFFTR
04-19-2011, 10:26 PM
hey TUFFTR. have you given any thought to getting the surge tank portion on you NA plenum remade. because the runner portion can be removed i have seen that some people just have a new larger surge tank made and bolt it on

I have given thought to it of course. I'm at a stage in my life right now where I am pretty over running around to joints getting custom shit made up all the time. The manifold they have for sale is a pretty sweet looking all in one unit that I can polish till my heart is content. Just waiting to hear back from them about there lay-a-way system. Once that's started I'll put it on layby and hopefully have it in a few months.

BA TURBO
04-22-2011, 09:45 AM
pffff my plenum with tb finally came back to me. It looks identical to the earlier posted pics lol

You sound disappointed.

I've been hogging out my plenum the past couple of evenings, will post up when I get it done.

TUFFTR
04-23-2011, 05:21 AM
Well, today I finally managed to tune my idle motor almost, may i say, perfectly, and I have noticed not one difference with this new TB compared to my Diamante. Starts from a cold start just beautifully!

DuTTch - you could probably smooth it a bit more just by hand with some rough sandpaper.

Ginseng
04-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Well, today I finally managed to tune my idle motor almost, may i say, perfectly, and I have noticed not one difference with this new TB compared to my Diamante. Starts from a cold start just beautifully!

DuTTch - you could probably smooth it a bit more just by hand with some rough sandpaper.

So my question is should we have Chatz get more of these produced?

TUFFTR
04-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Well not sure why you quoted me TBH, I'd probably start a new thread with a poll in it and see who else is keen. No use making another batch if only 5 are keen kinda thing.

BA TURBO
04-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Finished hogging out the plenum, looks like TUFFTR's. I'm happy so far. I hope to have the throttle body on this week I just need to buy the bolts to mount it to the plenum and a new coupler and I'm good to go.

Bob-

TUFFTR
04-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Finished hogging out the plenum, looks like TUFFTR's. I'm happy so far. I hope to have the throttle body on this week I just need to buy the bolts to mount it to the plenum and a new coupler and I'm good to go.

Bob-

Pictures mate :D

FeaRpb
04-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Pics or ban Mark

BA TURBO
04-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Pictures mate :D

I have a couple of pics on my phone, not sure how to post them here.
I bought the mounting bolts last night and got the TB on, waiting on a 3" coupler to come in and I'll be good to go.

Dougal
05-02-2011, 03:31 AM
Hey, i know im opening up an old thread sorry.

Do you have any of these left in stock? I am keen to purchase one.

if easier to send a PM or post. your call.

Cheers

Dougal

Ginseng
05-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Yes we have 6 more send chatzvr4 a pm

gltasn
05-12-2011, 12:48 AM
have mine on and set the tps. starts, runs, idles, great but the plate is sticking shut. she will not stay running when i let off the gas with any gusto. tried to transfer the dashpot over but will not allow the plate to fully close, by 1/3(alot).

is there a dash pot that works that i can buy or is there a mod to make a stock one work. id love to be driving and saying how cool it is but the plate slams shut and sticks closed. warmed her up good, cable wasnt too tight, new iac. i know my daspot was nesc on my last tb so im sure ill need one for my car. thx, j
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll126/gltasn/intake005.jpg
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll126/gltasn/intake007.jpg
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll126/gltasn/intake001.jpg
had my machine shop bore mine out as much as pos. its 70mm at the meet but tapers after about 2mm down to 68mm deep into where it opens up inside the stock manifold. yes its very thin in the back!
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll126/gltasn/intake002.jpg
cut the stupid egr off and shaved some weight,lol.

sure looks alot better than the one i took off. unfortunatly the threads on my stock tb's tps actuator(metal wing nut looking thing under the tps)striped off on with the nut, so im dead in the water till i figure this out or get another stocker to get me going for now and find a dash pot later. any help would be great. j

TUFFTR
05-12-2011, 03:39 AM
What do you mean by Dashpot?

BA TURBO
05-12-2011, 09:10 AM
I left the dashpot off mine and it starts, idles and runs fine.

gltasn
05-12-2011, 09:46 AM
What do you mean by Dashpot?

the dashpot keeps the car from diing when you let off the gas real fast, it keeps the throttle from slamming shut. i have mine set to factory specs and at 1500rps the throttle closes slowly. while warming her up i reved the throttle cable and when i let go the plate slamed shut with such force it stuck shut. the pedal wouldnt move the cable at all so in order for me to drive my car and enjoy it i need a dashpot. had to tap it with a hammer to free it that time, i will try a smear of synthetic grease also to keep it from sticking.

im so happy for all of you that this worked out of the box but my car is a stroker/3.4l with a lightweight flywheel and the dashpot is nesc. if there isnt one for this tb, im out. im hoping this tb will work!

TUFFTR
05-12-2011, 10:08 AM
the dashpot keeps the car from diing when you let off the gas real fast, it keeps the throttle from slamming shut. i have mine set to factory specs and at 1500rps the throttle closes slowly. while warming her up i reved the throttle cable and when i let go the plate slamed shut with such force it stuck shut. the pedal wouldnt move the cable at all so in order for me to drive my car and enjoy it i need a dashpot. had to tap it with a hammer to free it that time, i will try a smear of synthetic grease also to keep it from sticking.

im so happy for all of you that this worked out of the box but my car is a stroker/3.4l with a lightweight flywheel and the dashpot is nesc. if there isnt one for this tb, im out. im hoping this tb will work!

I mainly meant, where is it on the TB? I know it has an idle bypass screw (although not like factory, with an adjustment of TPS its fine) and on factory TB's that wax pallet thingy which this doesnt have, I mean I know roughly what the dashpot function does (My ECU has that capability which I leave blank so it hits fuel cut) BUT on the factory TB, what does this look like? I'm interested to know that's all.
Mines not a stroker but I am using it on a 3.5L, feels and works just like OEM for me (no use for you I know, just saying is all)
If you had a picture of said dash-pot that'd be great,
Hope you get it working soon!

Dont wanna sound like a nub here, but is this to do with the throttle stop screw perhaps?:S

gltasn
05-12-2011, 10:32 AM
i wouldnt take help as an insult. i dont know everything, yet. not even sure what the throttle stop screw is on the new tb. is it the allen head thing at 7 oclock? thought that was for idle adjustment. is it some sort or internal dashpot that keeps the plate from slamming/sticking? heres a pick of my issue, the dashpot in place but the throttle is about 1/3 open.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll126/gltasn/dashpot004.jpg

after seeing pics of first gen dashpots they might be a better fit. started a thread at other site for parts.

or, if this is a knockoff of a ls1 tb then will a ls1 dashpot fit?

gltasn
05-12-2011, 02:39 PM
macgruber stopped by(alter ego), and made me a paper template that i will make a bracket and be done with it. me 1, tb 0

heres a video and a pic of the custom bracket prototype. my roommate sleeps during the day and its going to be loud testing,lol. i will have to wait a few hours but the vid says alot.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll126/gltasn/003-3.jpg

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll126/gltasn/?action=view&current=002-3.mp4 looky what i made in about an hour.

stealthII
05-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Another thing you can do is remove the screw that holds the two brackets together on the dashpot. It will separate and then you can bolt it down to where it fits. You can only use one screw on the back of the TB but I have tightened mine down where it doesn't move.

But can you do me a favor and pressure test your intake system and see if it leaks on you. :)

gltasn
05-12-2011, 06:08 PM
would have been great to know yesterday,lol. i was so bummed i didnt notice. my boost wavers from -17 to -18 so i have a tiny leak somewhere to find.

did you ever replace the silicone with a real gasket? saw some paper ones on ebay for 3.00 you could easily trim out. i used some nitril inpregnated cork for ease of use.

stealthII
05-12-2011, 06:24 PM
I did. I actually had a 70 MM hole saw and carved some out of gasket sheets I bought at Advanced Auto. I traced out the stock gasket on the outside so it's a perfect fit. Almost looked stock but with a 70MM hole.

But yeah, I am curious to see if yours leaks as well. This is my 2nd one and am not sure if it's just bad luck or the seals can't handle higher boost.

TUFFTR
05-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the pictures....THAT's what that is. Never seen one of those before on a magna/diamante TB so that is new to me. Glad to see you've found a solution aswell.
That little allen key thing at 7 o clock is an idle bypass screw but Im positive there is actually a throttle stop screw aswell....positive...

gltasn
05-12-2011, 08:09 PM
I did. I actually had a 70 MM hole saw and carved some out of gasket sheets I bought at Advanced Auto. I traced out the stock gasket on the outside so it's a perfect fit. Almost looked stock but with a 70MM hole.

But yeah, I am curious to see if yours leaks as well. This is my 2nd one and am not sure if it's just bad luck or the seals can't handle higher boost.

i run about 18lb daily so we'll see. stupid ?, did you use teflon tape when you plugged the 3 vac ports?

stealthII
05-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Another thing to note is that when I got mine, I had to adjust the idle set screw. It's not supposed to be closed all of the way, even at idle according to the service manual. According to the manual, you reverse the screw so that the plate is closed, and then you screw it in 1 1/4 turns.

stealthII
05-12-2011, 08:12 PM
I didn't use tape, but I used some thread sealant on them. So I did use a sealant.

gltasn
05-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the pictures....THAT's what that is. Never seen one of those before on a magna/diamante TB so that is new to me. Glad to see you've found a solution aswell.
That little allen key thing at 7 o clock is an idle bypass screw but Im positive there is actually a throttle stop screw aswell....positive...

we tried to set the tps and found that my sweet spot is 10.9 -96%wot, at 11.3 it 94%wot, any higher we go out of spec. thank you hhh logger. might try again but im sure thats good for now.

gltasn
05-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Another thing to note is that when I got mine, I had to adjust the idle set screw. It's not supposed to be closed all of the way, even at idle according to the service manual. According to the manual, you reverse the screw so that the plate is closed, and then you screw it in 1 1/4 turns.

saw that in the manual. i even bought aset of feelr gauges but my friend that helped didnt seemed concerned. im a little out of my leage with elec testing.

after testing i will see if i need to set that screw and reset the tps.

stealthII
05-15-2011, 12:51 AM
saw that in the manual. i even bought aset of feelr gauges but my friend that helped didnt seemed concerned. im a little out of my leage with elec testing.

after testing i will see if i need to set that screw and reset the tps.

Resetting the TPS is easy. You are just testing for continuity on the bottom two pins. You want to adjust it right to the point where you no longer see any continuity between the pins. But like you mentioned, you have to put that feeler gauge right behind the throttle and then do it. It's pretty straight forward. :)

TUFFTR
07-10-2011, 05:24 AM
And yep....Mine leaks aswell from the throttle cable side of things. Plumed in the air line and there was barely any pressure in the intake manifold....actually wasn't even registering on the gauge.......I put my hand where the throttle plate is (closest to firewall) and could could hear the air quieten down as I placed my hand around various things...

Are we just able to replace the seals? What's the go? Can we use OEM size ones? Maybe needs a different size O ring...
Anyone figured out a solution?

gltasn
07-10-2011, 09:39 AM
i have a feeling these were not made to be pressurized and they quickly fail. i feel like i got another aftermarket part that was rushed to the market without testing on the platform. mines a leaky pos too. can i get a refund? j

TUFFTR
07-10-2011, 06:51 PM
i have a feeling these were not made to be pressurized and they quickly fail. i feel like i got another aftermarket part that was rushed to the market without testing on the platform. mines a leaky pos too. can i get a refund? j

Yeah I've known about yours for a while. I want to know what exact part is making it leak. There is always a solution out there. Might just need a bigger/thicker O-ring? Who knows. I will try and take mine apart and find the cause of this.

I have to partially disagree with you on that reason only because the tooling required to make these TB's wouldn't of been cheap. They are designed for this make/model for sure. Someone has gone to ALOT of effort to replicate an OEM TB is almost every way possible. Remember PMP Motorsports were the ones to bring these out. Looks like SSM Purchased the remaining stock on hand
NEW Builit TB's In stock ready to go! - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center (http://www.3si.org/forum/f180/new-builit-tbs-stock-ready-go-500664/)
Could of used more 'testing' for sure. I think the R&D was great in this TB, just no testing done to confirm it holds up to an OEM unit. However this I would put on PMP's part.

Hans@GZP
07-10-2011, 08:55 PM
It's a CXRacing part. We could have sold them as well, but we don't sell any of their stuff that we don't test in house first.

2xmks
07-10-2011, 11:09 PM
We have ran a few of these that we got from SSM with great results. I have one just waiting to go on my track car. I'm sure SSM will take care of any concerns.

gltasn
07-11-2011, 01:20 AM
i was joking about the refund btw. im the kind of guy that lives with his mistakes and a 200 tb wont get me down. i just got a stock one from japan that has the sensors all in place and factory tuned. now my car runs better than ever, and when i let off the gas it doesnt die.

tabasco122
07-11-2011, 01:22 AM
It's a CXRacing part. We could have sold them as well, but we don't sell any of their stuff that we don't test in house first.

this, cxracing is ebay crap. i would only use a part by them if it was proven and tested by many. its a crapshoot. exhaust parts and maybe an intercooler if im feeling cheap, but nothing that moves lol.

stealthII
07-11-2011, 01:56 AM
We have ran a few of these that we got from SSM with great results. I have one just waiting to go on my track car. I'm sure SSM will take care of any concerns.

Have you pressure tested at all? Just curious as I got my 2nd TB from SSM to replace the other one, and it leaks as well. It's too bad as this looks like a really nice TB. It's very well put together but obviously, there is a defect in the product. I believe that it's original design was not intended for boosted situations. Either way, I am working with SSM to get a refund or a fix for this. I too went back to my non-leaking OEM TB. :(

TUFFTR
07-11-2011, 03:05 AM
Interesting...
I am positive there is a solution for this. It's surely not just a throw away item with a little air leak! I'm only N/A so not as much of a concern for me, But still, I like to have things done right.

BA TURBO
07-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Mine leaks too. Holds only 12psi. Leaks on the cable side. Haven't had time to check further in to it.
Hopefully there's a fix. Bought it from SSM and I am hoping they will stand behind this.

stealthII
07-11-2011, 03:09 PM
So just by looking at the seals, this is how they look. I can't see anything out of the ordinary that would leak other than the seals themselves.

TPS Side:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/dohc3si/3Si/5c82af23.jpg

Firewall Side:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/dohc3si/3Si/d818c7fc.jpg

Chatzvr4
07-11-2011, 04:03 PM
We contacted CX since they are the ones that contracted this part locally. SO far we have not heard back from them. I took one apart and from what i am gathering everyone is leaking on the cable side. Now these were suppose to be built with boost aplications in mind. as the company that builds these also builds for the rx7 and supras. There is an inner seal behind the bearing. to me it could be thicker as well as a double seal. I am going to look into our own solution untill we hear back from cx or the manufacturer.

BA TURBO
07-11-2011, 04:08 PM
We contacted CX since they are the ones that contracted this part locally. SO far we have not heard back from them. I took one apart and from what i am gathering everyone is leaking on the cable side. Now these were suppose to be built with boost aplications in mind. as the company that builds these also builds for the rx7 and supras. There is an inner seal behind the bearing. to me it could be thicker as well as a double seal. I am going to look into our own solution untill we hear back from cx or the manufacturer.

Thank you and please keep us informed.

Bob-

Chatzvr4
07-11-2011, 04:08 PM

Thank you for your input
I have the very first one made. Which has been tested on a DD for over a year now. This is why I chose to sell them. But just because the first one worked out there may have been something wrong when it went into full production. I pressure tested the others i have in stock and 2 out of the 6 leaked. I am not happy about this and will find a solution ASAP

Chatzvr4
07-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Thank you and please keep us informed.

Bob-

Just got off the phone with kevin at cx racing. His response was to have everyone ship them back for repair. I told them we have already swapped out one of our customers with another one and it still leaked. He is calling the manufacturer to have a solution provided. I told him a simple seal assembly that works would be nice. this way you guys wouldnt have to ship them back. but if you dont want the hassle of dealing with it. it can be sent directly to CX racing. Place note in the box stating purchased from split second motorsports. These come with a lifetime warranty a they are covered no matter what. We are goign to drop off all of ours that are in stock right now.

CXRacing
1627 Chico Ave
South El Monte, CA 91733

Chatzvr4
07-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Sale on these throttle bodies are locked until a solution is found and ALL issues have been corrected

Chatzvr4
07-11-2011, 05:52 PM
please see new thread for TB solution http://www.3sgto.org/f95/70mm-tb-recall-5686.html#post106255

IPD
07-11-2011, 05:55 PM
props, jesse. you deserve respect for being proactive on this.

Chatzvr4
07-11-2011, 06:24 PM
props, jesse. you deserve respect for being proactive on this.

kevin at cx was more then willing to work with me on this i would send the props to him

Hans@GZP
07-11-2011, 07:57 PM
kevin at cx was more then willing to work with me on this i would send the props to him

That's the one thing that is great with dealing with CX... Kevin is always willing to improve his products and correct their mistakes.

oohnoo
07-12-2011, 12:57 PM
This is good to know as I got one way back in Sept from Kevin. My guess is the bearing at not a sealed bearing and it' just relying on an internal o-ring for sealing.

stealthII
07-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Copying from the 70mm TB Recall thread:

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just received my replacement from CX today and this one leaks as well. It leaks from the same seal on the firewall side. Just to be sure, I sprayed soapy water around and it was definitely that damn seal again. So if you are overseas, I would hold off on sending yours back. Sigh! Honestly, this is rather frustrating if you ask me. I have spend more than enough time on this (with shipping and removing/installing). I think at this point, since this is my 3rd TB sent back, I believe I am entitled to a refund of some sorts. I really tried to get this to work, but it doesn't seem to me like they even bothered pressure testing it and that these seals just aren't up to holding boost. I couldn't even get 10 PSI out of it with out leaking. Either way, I can't keep spending $ on shipping this thing back and forth. Please let me know my options. Thanks.

Richie

BA TURBO
08-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Are there any updates on this? I can't access the above link "TB Solution".

Thanks.

TUFFTR
08-23-2011, 02:54 AM
As Above. Would be good if there was an exchange program of sorts active so as soon as one arrives one can be sent back out...

BA TURBO
08-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Has the problem even been solved? I'd really like to send mine in, but if they don't have a solution yet I can't have my car down for that long.

BA TURBO
08-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Has anyone heard from Chatz lately? I sent him a pm on 8/23 and have not heard anything back yet.
Hopefully I'm not the only one concerned here.

KeithMac
08-26-2011, 04:18 PM
I`d like to know why the resolution thread was taken down?.

Any Moderators care to comment on that one?.

BA TURBO
08-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Wasn't SSM a gold sponsor here? I thought they were but they are no longer on the list.

KeithMac
08-26-2011, 05:23 PM
I thought they were as well, had a look the other day and couldn`t find them on the list.

stealthII
08-27-2011, 01:30 PM
I spoke to Chaz a few weeks ago and wanted to have CX Racing send me a new TB in advanced and looks like that's not the case. They want me to ship it back for the 4th time and honestly, I think I would rather just melt this thing down for scrap. I think I would see more satisfaction with that. So after pulling my TB more times than I care to count, I am not sure I want to spent another $20 to ship this thing back. I might just call it an expensive mistake and toss it. Or try to sell it to a NON turbo owner.

dbest671
08-27-2011, 01:39 PM
I`d like to know why the resolution thread was taken down?.

Any Moderators care to comment on that one?.

Wasn't SSM a gold sponsor here? I thought they were but they are no longer on the list.

I thought they were as well, had a look the other day and couldn`t find them on the list.

It looks like either SSM has been dropped as a sponsor or won't pay to be a sponsor. With that being said, you can't access the subforum the recall notice was in at all. So I'm assuming that it was in the SSM vendor forum. Somebody will have to ask one of the moderator to move that particular thread into a public forum, like buyer/seller review/disputes forum.

SSM has seemed to disappear from 3si also.

KeithMac
08-27-2011, 02:32 PM
^^ Cheers!, would be good to keep that thread alive.

IPD
08-27-2011, 05:15 PM
It looks like either SSM has been dropped as a sponsor or won't pay to be a sponsor. With that being said, you can't access the subforum the recall notice was in at all. So I'm assuming that it was in the SSM vendor forum. Somebody will have to ask one of the moderator to move that particular thread into a public forum, like buyer/seller review/disputes forum.

SSM has seemed to disappear from 3si also.

i think (i don't know) that a part of it has to do with jesse having too much to do right now, and he's trying to throttle back the amount of incoming business until he can catch up. at least that's what he told me. he's got 4 days to make good on my order.

dbest671
08-27-2011, 05:41 PM
i think (i don't know) that a part of it has to do with jesse having too much to do right now, and he's trying to throttle back the amount of incoming business until he can catch up. at least that's what he told me. he's got 4 days to make good on my order.

Well, some people just want a refund on returned items. It isn't about "incoming" business, it's about all the shitty products they have sent out.

IPD
08-27-2011, 09:01 PM
ssm didn't make these. they're a vendor, just like any other. it's an MFG issue.

dbest671
08-27-2011, 09:14 PM
^I wasn't commenting on the throttle bodies. I was commenting on this the lack of communication. And LOL to "he's trying to throttle back the amount of incoming business until he can catch up". Since I'm not a moderator anymore, I don't have to remain neutral. But SSM has been giving this same song & dance since March. And judging by the quality of products that I have seen come from SSM, I'm guessing he is trying to figure out how to turn shit into gold. Again I'm not talking about throttle bodies.

Funny he would pull sponsorship from 3sgto and not 3si. I mean no offense to 3sgto, but do you think he gets more business from here than 3si?

TUFFTR
08-28-2011, 04:49 AM
fantastic. does anyone with a rebuilt one care to take a picture if possible to show us what was done? Guess I'll have to take this to an engineer and get fixed, yet again.

hated
08-28-2011, 07:38 AM
ssm didn't make these. they're a vendor, just like any other. it's an MFG issue.

Ginseng claims to have designed these. Any truth to that claim?

mb7050
08-28-2011, 08:18 AM

:scared: Warren aka LMI ??

TUFFTR
08-28-2011, 09:48 AM

They purchased all remaining stock from CXRacing....well as far as I've read from the forums.

IPD
08-28-2011, 06:07 PM
They purchased all remaining stock from CXRacing....well as far as I've read from the forums.

this. CXR is who made them.

IPD
08-28-2011, 07:09 PM
^I wasn't commenting on the throttle bodies. I was commenting on this the lack of communication. And LOL to "he's trying to throttle back the amount of incoming business until he can catch up". Since I'm not a moderator anymore, I don't have to remain neutral. But SSM has been giving this same song & dance since March. And judging by the quality of products that I have seen come from SSM, I'm guessing he is trying to figure out how to turn shit into gold. Again I'm not talking about throttle bodies.

Funny he would pull sponsorship from 3sgto and not 3si. I mean no offense to 3sgto, but do you think he gets more business from here than 3si?

i'm not defending him, i'm just sharing what he's told me. if the shit gets sour, you will be seeing a VERY lengthy, well-documented trail of PM's outlining my entire dealings with SSM. i'm going to attempt civil recourse before airing dirty laundry.

p.s.
thanks to chargebacks, i've not yet had to air dirty laundry against another vendor.

BA TURBO
09-05-2011, 04:53 PM
I contacted CX and spoke with Ace. He was unaware of any problem with the throttle body. I explained that the issue was pretty widespread and I was surprised he didn't know about it. He felt that I blew the seal when I pressure tested it, which I exained could not have happened.
After some discussion and he was also running this by someone else that was there he told me to send it back and they would repair it.
I'm not sure I want to send it back if the same shitty seal is going to be put in.

Has anyone tried taking one of these apart and replacing the seal themselves?

Wouldn't it be similar to replacing the seal in a stock TB?

TUFFTR
09-07-2011, 10:19 AM
very interested to heat the outcome. I'm on NA but this still doesnt sit right with me. Would prefer it to be fixed really. if they disassemble it I'd like to know what is actually wrong, is the seal the incorrect size etc etc

TurboSinceBirth
04-02-2012, 12:49 AM
What ever happened with all the issues trying to get the seals fixed in these throttle bodies?

DuTTch
04-02-2012, 12:51 AM
I havent done shit with it, mine is just laying there "rusting" lol.

TurboSinceBirth
04-02-2012, 01:26 AM
I havent done shit with it, mine is just laying there "rusting" lol.

I'm just curious if they put the wrong type of seals in it, wrong size, or something else. I was pressure testing today trying to find the cause of my overboosting, a major vacuum leak yay!, and noticed my throttle body shaft seals are just pissing out air like crazy. I can order the seals and have it rebuilt easy enough. I just got to thinking about these throttle bodies again and was wondering exactly why they were leaking. I'd be tempted to experiment with one to see what exactly the issue is with it. Where exactly was it leaking at Mark?

IPD
04-02-2012, 01:41 AM
I'm just curious if they put the wrong type of seals in it, wrong size, or something else. I was pressure testing today trying to find the cause of my overboosting, a major vacuum leak yay!, and noticed my throttle body shaft seals are just pissing out air like crazy. I can order the seals and have it rebuilt easy enough. I just got to thinking about these throttle bodies again and was wondering exactly why they were leaking. I'd be tempted to experiment with one to see what exactly the issue is with it. Where exactly was it leaking at Mark?

when the original MFG of the things is full of epic-fail on repairing/rebuilding/fixing the problem...i'd be hesitant to even consider purchasing one in the first place.

TurboSinceBirth
04-02-2012, 01:43 AM
when the original MFG of the things is full of epic-fail on repairing/rebuilding/fixing the problem...i'd be hesitant to even consider purchasing one in the first place.

I totally understand that but has anyone actually taken it apart themselves to see exactly what the issue is. I mean is it a machining error, design, material, or something else? I figured those that had them collecting dust on the shelves might actually try to see what the deal was.

IPD
04-02-2012, 01:46 AM
I totally understand that but has anyone actually taken it apart themselves to see exactly what the issue is. I mean is it a machining error, design, material, or something else? I figured those that had them collecting dust on the shelves might actually try to see what the deal was.

afaik, no rebuilds/repairs--by the individual users or the MFG--have provided a working solution. take that for what it's worth. i'm leaning towards design flaw.

TUFFTR
04-02-2012, 04:33 AM
I dont see how a simple bloody shaft and seal can be so hard to find a problem for.
Surely someone can lend there non working one to someone to try and fix....
Once someone finds a solution, and possibly just a better fitting shaft seal may cure it.

BA TURBO
04-02-2012, 09:04 AM
I took mine apart. I think it's the o-rings on the shaft not sealing properly. Mine wasn't blown, it is just a shitty design. I bought several other size o-rings trying to find one that would work but gave up after several attempts when it wouldn't seal.
I spoke with CX a couple of times, they offered to look at it but my impression is that the design is flawed and it will not hold pressure.
I threw the POS in a box and forgot about it.

Greg E
04-06-2012, 10:33 AM

I can answer this. On a car without any piggyback, NO you won't. The ECU will use the ISC to raise the idle till you get up to operating temp.

Greg E
04-06-2012, 10:37 AM
BTW I'm very interested in one of these. If there's a seal issue, then maybe a tighter machine tolerance will fix it. To test, just measure the seal and the seat with a caliper. If someone wants to sell their defective TB to me, I'll gladly take it to try and find the issue.

stealthII
04-07-2012, 11:14 PM
I have one that I would sell. Send me a PM w/ a price and we'll work something out. :)

KeithMac
04-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Is the shaft sealed with an O ring?, if so it`s doomed to failure.

Might take mine apart and see if it can be modified to fit a double lipped seal?. Paperweight at the moment..

BA TURBO
04-27-2012, 03:18 PM
It is sealed with an o - ring.

KeithMac
04-27-2012, 05:43 PM
No wonder they`re shit then!.