PDA

View Full Version : Information on Tuning an AEM Series 1

HLxDrummer
02-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Who has tuned their EMS series 1 from scratch on their own car? Is it is bad as people make it out to be? I see some people posting OMG I couldn't tune my EMS had to pay $983,489 to have it tuned, then I see other people say they can't tune their SAFC/eManage which is cake to me. Especially considering a base map is available, it can't be THAT hard can it?

Since Roy posted about the Honda EMS I'm really considering going that route. I could just plug in the EMS, tune for a while, and if I can't get it driving well right away, swap back in the stock ECU until I have time to mess with the EMS again. Only thing is I'd have to get comfortable with it on the stock MAS then one weekend swap to speed density and tune it again.

I'm also considering going to EFI University if I can get enough money from future birthday/christmas presents lol so I'm sure that would help.

Unknownvr4
02-08-2011, 11:03 AM
There is a base 3000gt map, even if you used the Honda EMS, that will make it run like stock then you can tune from there. Im also using the Honda EMS on my car too.. just have to wire it in..

HLxDrummer
02-08-2011, 12:45 PM
That is what I thought.. is the base map for MAF or speed density?

Which Honda EMS did you go with, the jumper or solder one? I've been looking for either cheap lately and not having luck.

Let me know how yours works out!

Sin'sVr4
02-08-2011, 12:52 PM
What is your current setup. If your close to mine I can send you a cal file and you can tweak it from there. But, you have to change your battery offset and you have to ensure your gintion maps and timing maps are ok. You just need to make sure you dont lean yourself out. as long as you have a wideband you can tune it by yourself, but I would take it to a shop and pay $400 bucks to have it done right. Mine was tuned for $300 E85 and he took 5 hours and made me the power in my sig.

Unknownvr4
02-08-2011, 01:31 PM
That is what I thought.. is the base map for MAF or speed density?

Which Honda EMS did you go with, the jumper or solder one? I've been looking for either cheap lately and not having luck.

Let me know how yours works out!

I have a solder one.. 1040 i think it was and i got it for $400

The base map is for MAF

DG
02-08-2011, 01:35 PM
The base map will NOT make it run like stock - it is purposefully a touch rich for safety purposes. It is "probably start and run" to at least get you going, but it will require tuning from there.

I'm running my car in MAF mode and it works well.

DG

HLxDrummer
02-08-2011, 05:58 PM
What is your current setup. If your close to mine I can send you a cal file and you can tweak it from there. But, you have to change your battery offset and you have to ensure your gintion maps and timing maps are ok. You just need to make sure you dont lean yourself out. as long as you have a wideband you can tune it by yourself, but I would take it to a shop and pay $400 bucks to have it done right. Mine was tuned for $300 E85 and he took 5 hours and made me the power in my sig.

I'm basically stock, but thanks for the offer! And was $400 for a complete from scratch tune? I'm confident I can do WOT/power tuning but not so much the daily driveability right off the bat you know?

I have a solder one.. 1040 i think it was and i got it for $400

The base map is for MAF

Would you mind mentioning how/where you got it that cheap? Pretty easy to do the modifications?

The base map will NOT make it run like stock - it is purposefully a touch rich for safety purposes. It is "probably start and run" to at least get you going, but it will require tuning from there.

I'm running my car in MAF mode and it works well.

DG

I figured the base map won't make it run awesome but as long as it starts the car and makes it somewhat drivable I can fine tune from there. It would just be hard to do it from absolutely nothing you know?

Did you tune yours by yourself? How much difficulty did you encounter? What kind of training do you have?

Unknownvr4
02-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Would you mind mentioning how/where you got it that cheap? Pretty easy to do the modifications?

I was searching alot of forums but i ended up posting on a wtb ad on a local forum and a few people just happened to have them.. then i had a few to choose from and i just chose the most cost effective one that would work. The modification is pretty easy to do if you can solder

HLxDrummer
02-08-2011, 06:29 PM
I've soldering wires before and did fine, but never anything like a circuit board/etc. I'm assuming it's similar? Thanks for all the input I'll keep looking around :)

DG
02-08-2011, 09:37 PM
It would just be hard to do it from absolutely nothing you know?

Did you tune yours by yourself? How much difficulty did you encounter? What kind of training do you have?

The good thing about the AEM (or any aftermarket ECU) is that you have complete control over the computer. You are master of your own destiny.

The bad news is that you have complete control over the computer and are master of your own destiny. Garbage in, garbage out. You want to run 30 PSI at 16:1 and with 40 degrees of advance? Sure thing boss.

Getting a car that runs is fairly simple. Getting a car that runs WELL takes more work. And the problem is not helped by somewhat spotty documentation, dubious tech support, and a culture of secrecy given the 1 million would-be "pro tuners" who are not willing to share techniques and findings because it threatens their tuning "business".

On top of that, some stuff is just time consuming. Startup/warmup is a serious PITA. Not because it is difficult, but because the only way to set startup/warmup at -10C is to get the car that cold, and then as it warms up, you have a few seconds per cell to try different values as the car warms up. This means multiple iterations of cool car down - tune car to get it right.

All is not lost, however.

Firstly, forget about getting anyone to tun it for you. You're buying a pig in a poke and most "pro tuners" are hacks. Instead, plan on learning to do it yourself.

Secondly, you MUST take the time to read up on the subject, understand the theory, and get a good handle on how all this stuff works from a theoretical perspective.

Thirdly, you must delve into the manual, read the whole thing through multiple times, and get a real grip on the manual and the online help. Delve into the software and try and understand what each setting does.

Fourthly, you must develop a rigorous, procedures-based, methodological and meticulous approach to tuning. This requires no small amount of self-discipline.

And fifthly, you MUST have at least one WIDEBAND O2 sensor (ideally one per bank) - and not some cheap bottom-dollar DSMer solution, but a proper, temperature-compensated wideband O2 sensor.

If this sounds like too much work - then it is, and other solutions beckon.

I learned by being the second customer of what eventually became the AEM EMS. I have been futzing with these things since 1999. Much trial and error has been involved.

"EFI University" sounds like a good idea. Time (and money) spent on learning is seldom wasted.

DG

Ninja Performance
02-09-2011, 09:32 AM
There is a base 3000gt map, even if you used the Honda EMS, that will make it run like stock then you can tune from there. Im also using the Honda EMS on my car too.. just have to wire it in..

No, it will not. The "base" map may or may not even get the car running. And will definitely not make it run like stock.

I have seen many blown engines due to the general consumer installing an EMS and starting off with the "base" map.

-Chris

HLxDrummer
02-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys, great information! I feel like I could handle it if I take my time and especially if I go to EFI. I over research and learn as much as I can about everything before I even consider doing it so no problem there. Going to buy some books soon and get kicking when school settles down :)

HLxDrummer
02-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Alright, I have another question for you guys. Right now on my eManage I am adjusting the MAF airflow values based on manifold pressure from the MAP sensor (instead of TPS). Is this how I would tune on the EMS with a MAF setup or would it be based on airflow numbers or TPS?

J. Fast
02-12-2011, 09:29 PM
The answers for how the tables and calcs are evaluated are in here : Please Read --> MAF Sensors with the EMS - Great Thread! (http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php/topic,5517.45.html) . Convert the maximum air velocity flow to voltage. Then interpolate the voltage conversion vs. load percent in a table. Looks like there's an example provided on DG's site. Pretty good if you ask me :) .

HLxDrummer
02-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Great link, thanks!

So from what I can tell, you can't really do a hybrid MAF/speed density like I am now, huh? Probably just go with MAP based since it looks a little simpler.

KeithMac
02-14-2011, 04:20 PM
I was contemplating AEM at one point, but it just seems like a lot of time to tune that I don`t have at the moment.

I`ve tuned a standalone from scratch on the Golf and don`t think I could be arsed to do it all over again.

HLxDrummer
02-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Ya I don't have a ton of time either which is the only thing possibly holding me back. Being a college student and it being my only car would be tough but I could always just slap in the stock ECU since I'm stock injector still..

I would also hate to sell my current setup as I like it, I would just like more flexibility (two steps, control idle/cruise AFR, not have fuel adjustment affect timing, etc.)

KeithMac
02-14-2011, 05:24 PM
With the Ultimate you can tune fuel and ignition seperatley in stage 3, you also get 2 step, plus it will plug straigh in to your Blue harness but you`ll need the extra one (connector 3) for full fuel injector control.

AEM has more power/ tuning options though.

HLxDrummer
02-14-2011, 05:37 PM
I like the Ultimate and was considering it, but it's so much more expensive than the Blue and no one will buy just the Blue by itself so I'd basically have to start from scratch you know..

J. Fast
02-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Okay, I'm not going to give all this stuff up and since some people in here tend to believe I'm full o baloney. Yes, I am an EFI University Trained and Certified Tuner and yes the GM MAF works fine with MITSU's. For some strange reason Evos seem to make gobs and gobs of power and run 9 sec 1/4 miles with GM MAF soooo.. who know's maybe call Busher Racing and ask them how they run GM MAF's in 9 and 10 sec 4 cylinder 4G63 Mitsu's? Nothing wrong with the software, just the end users. There's a big difference in "Certified Installation Facility" and Certified Tuner. I have a few maps that I pull up and stare at for chuckles to remind myself the difference between certifiable professional vocational training and some shops that owns a dyno and been doing X,Y, and Z for years. Until I actually scrutinized several shops tunes and made them better I never realized how good at this tuning shiet I actually am.

Like Chris was saying, don't try to start your car using the "base map" out of the box that AEM gives you. Use the base map and then use the wizzards, put your data into it, time it, and it will start. Low load is fine. If it's a new engine and you're doing a hard breakin' all bets are off. You better know WTF you're doing.

HLxDrummer
02-17-2011, 08:25 AM
I've read on other forums hat the GM MAF works pretty well but haven't read much into it (yet). I think I may just go with the eManage Ultimate for now as it gives me 90% of what I want without the hassles/price of the EMS. I'm still going to try and take the EFI course this summer though and eventually go EMS, just not while I'm in school/low on money/haven't taken the class yet.

Thanks for all the help again! I love reading your posts and it definitely seems like you know what your talking about. Wish I could buy all your knowledge and put it in my brain lol!