PDA

View Full Version : AWD Clutch for 400-450AWHP

YoshiBishi
02-03-2011, 05:13 PM
I am pushing about 380AWHP right now, and my clutch seems to be slipping a bit. I plan on making 450AWHP max in the future. This is mostly a street car and maybe a few track runs. I don't want something that is too hard when I decide to drive it to work.

Which clutch should I get for these power levels?

3KVT
02-03-2011, 06:23 PM
I got the ACT stage 2 clutch and I'm expecting around 400awhp. It drives wonderfully during daily driving, but grabs for hard launches too. So I'd go stage 2 or 3. depending on how rough you want it to grab on take-off, and how easy you want it to be to depress.

YoshiBishi
02-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Anyone know how much HP/Torque the OEM clutches hold?

mh3kgt
02-03-2011, 07:04 PM
I've read more than once that an upgraded Pressure Plate and OEM clutch is fine all day long on 450is awhp. That's what I plan to use

benson8277
02-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I have a XTD that held 525 and it feels like stock. It's for sell, 175 shipped with less than 2K miles on it. I changed it out for a SB because my car is making more HP

ijsaul
02-04-2011, 02:36 AM
I'm in the same boat. I had a South Bend Racing TZ (Stage 2, 490 max torque), which I ran for roughly 30K miles, and as my transmission is out, we are looking at just replacing it. The flywheel and pressure plate are apparently in perfect shape still.

After DIGGING for a couple of hours on the other forum, I found quite a few individuals recommending the Spec Stage 4+, which is rated at 700+ ft/lbs. torque, and while unsprung, is supposedly a great daily use clutch. Unfortunately, I can no longer locate that exact model on the Spec Clutches website, and only the regular Stage 4 (no +) is listed, which holds to 600 ft/lbs and is a puck style, and apparently it too has good reviews. MVP Motorsports has it for $449 in either 3, 4, or 6 puck design.

The other recommendation is a South Bend Racing Stage 4, which is full faced (non puck), 750 ft/lbs torque max, and $200 more.

And finally, in my case with the pressure plate being in fine shape, it would be possible to go with a stock disk for roughly $100.

The XTD clutches have also had some love across various builds.

I'm on the fence, anyone have any recommendations?

Chris@Rvengeperformance
02-04-2011, 10:20 AM
the act HD mb019 pressure plate or the RPS max plate with a stock disc work great for that power range and some above.

Chatzvr4
02-04-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm in the same boat. I had a South Bend Racing TZ (Stage 2, 490 max torque), which I ran for roughly 30K miles, and as my transmission is out, we are looking at just replacing it. The flywheel and pressure plate are apparently in perfect shape still.

After DIGGING for a couple of hours on the other forum, I found quite a few individuals recommending the Spec Stage 4+, which is rated at 700+ ft/lbs. torque, and while unsprung, is supposedly a great daily use clutch. Unfortunately, I can no longer locate that exact model on the Spec Clutches website, and only the regular Stage 4 (no +) is listed, which holds to 600 ft/lbs and is a puck style, and apparently it too has good reviews. MVP Motorsports has it for $449 in either 3, 4, or 6 puck design.

The other recommendation is a South Bend Racing Stage 4, which is full faced (non puck), 750 ft/lbs torque max, and $200 more.

And finally, in my case with the pressure plate being in fine shape, it would be possible to go with a stock disk for roughly $100.

The XTD clutches have also had some love across various builds.

I'm on the fence, anyone have any recommendations?

I ran the spec 4 and the spec 4 + I had nothing but issues with that puck clutch the + comes with a solid disc and has been holding just fine

thor'svr4
02-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Anyone know how much HP/Torque the OEM clutches hold?

i made 418 awhp and 408 awtq on a stock clutch at 18psi. not sure what i make at 23psi but it holds enough to spin all 4. i think i felt the clutch slip once when i dropped the clutch at 6500ish rpm but i couldn’t really tell. still spun so maybe it was just some sand on the road or something.

mh3kgt
02-04-2011, 10:54 AM
OEM is the only sprung hub disc I will ever buy again. Somehow managed to destroy a SBC stg3 OFE in 1k miles...springs decided to split the sheets on me :sad:

2xmks
02-04-2011, 11:17 AM
I have ran several clutch types -

RPS street disc was great when I was on 15G's and an AFC, great pedal pressure, lasted forever it seemed.
RPS 6-puck(sprung) -engagement was a bit rough, held nice until I hit low 500 awhp then it fell apart.
South Bend stage 3 - Great clutch, ran 19T's at 21 PSI (not sure of power) very easy clutch to drive, great for the street/track.
South Bend Stage 4 - This is my favorite. Engagement is a bit rougher, but it held where the RPS 6-Puck let go at. Ran it on my last TD05 3S at 28psi!

Also ran a couple spec and OS Giken clutches...

11secondFWD
02-04-2011, 12:15 PM
South bend stage 4 fe. Full faced and easy on the leg. I loved it. It was much better than spec stage 3 on the leg and performance.

YoshiBishi
02-04-2011, 12:38 PM
I have a XTD that held 525 and it feels like stock. It's for sell, 175 shipped with less than 2K miles on it. I changed it out for a SB because my car is making more HP

I'd be interested in this.

Sin'sVr4
02-04-2011, 01:04 PM
i have an XTD stage 4 unsprung. I made 500whp and 535tq 2 weeks ago. Clutch is perfect and not to tough the push in. Very grabby and holds a ton pf power. had a spec stage 3 sprung, and will not ever go with a sprung again due to all the issues with springs breaking thru the steel. Unsprung is the way to go. I paid $250 brand new for mine and it is great. Same exact as the ACT brand. made in the same factory. Like Silverados and Sierras. Same thing, different name. Most manufacturers have the same product but put different names on them. Look at our injectors...there are like 20 different brands, but i think only like 3 actual makers of them.

YoshiBishi
02-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Great info, will give these XTD clutches a try. A lot of cheaper parts seem to be getting good reviews these days!

green-lantern
02-04-2011, 04:56 PM
I love my spec stage 4+!

http://www.3sx.com/store/catalog/clutch-spec-tt-stage4plus-06-320.jpg

Sin'sVr4
02-04-2011, 05:16 PM
I was going to go with them paul, but with the horror stories of quality and customer service and $$$, i decided to try the XTD and I am definitly impressed. Most that I have talked with who have these have had great success and its cheap. I wonder if I could sell my spec stage 3 pressure plate. has I think 4k miles on it.

mh3kgt
02-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Ya I think I will only go with an unsprung disc next time, or OEM with my upgraded pressure plate if I stick with 15g's. I've just had too many problems with springs popping out regardless of brand. I really wanna try out 3sx's Spec Stg2+ unsprung...maybe if I go 19t :rolleyes:

green-lantern
02-04-2011, 06:40 PM
I was going to go with them paul, but with the horror stories of quality and customer service and $$$, i decided to try the XTD and I am definitly impressed. Most that I have talked with who have these have had great success and its cheap. I wonder if I could sell my spec stage 3 pressure plate. has I think 4k miles on it.

Most of the spec horror stories were springs popping out and the 4+ doesn't have them. I did see the splines strip out of my friends stage 5 but for some reason I don't think I have ever seen a 4+ fail.

Sin'sVr4
02-04-2011, 07:05 PM
i have heard of 3 people with spec 4+ that had the rivets sheered off

green-lantern
02-04-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure what has happened to Spec, I've ran nothing but them, but the quality just seems to of gone down the drain. I hope I don't have any issues. As soon as I do I'm done with them.

Sin'sVr4
02-05-2011, 01:12 AM
ya they have gone downhill in both quality and customer service. I hear more horror stories about their stuff than love stories.