PDA

View Full Version : engine overhaul.. type of head gaskets?

BrianWSNC
02-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Ok.. I am gathering up parts to rebuild my 3000GT engine, NA.. and I read about all metal headgaskets vs composite metal headgaskets

The guy that is going to do most of the hands on work says as long as I am not going to Turbo charge it, the regular metal composite head gaskets will be fine.

I tend to agree.. but.. What's the general consences of people that actually know first hand.

Please advise.

thank you

MaxClass
02-02-2011, 09:57 PM
You can't go wrong with MLM [Multi Layer Metal] gaskets. But then again for an NA is may not be necessary.

GTwizard
02-03-2011, 02:00 AM
MLM all the way. In fact the mlm Montero gasket will work and they only has 2 leyers. Not much, but it would be a comp boost.
And if you were to turbo, Again MLM is the only way to go. Don't like that composite crap.

Ninja Performance
02-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Stock OEM MLS.

-Chris

speedy25
02-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Even aftermarket MLS gaskets are good.

-SP

CoreyB
02-03-2011, 11:59 AM
IMO using MLS gaskets has little to do with if you will turbo or not. The aluminum head is going to expand at a different rate than the cast block either way. The purpose for the MLS gasket is to allow for the movement.

SOHC
03-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Anyone know if I can use MLS gaskets from a DOHC on a SOHC? The only gaskets I can find for the SOHC are paper composite.

TUFFTR
03-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Anyone know if I can use MLS gaskets from a DOHC on a SOHC? The only gaskets I can find for the SOHC are paper composite.

Incorrect. Different blocks basically. So no...
Nothing wrong with the graphite ones for NA use. when going FI - well, that's something I don't know much on, but as you can see the consensus if MLS

Ninja Performance
03-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Nothing wrong with the graphite ones for NA use. when going FI - well, that's something I don't know much on, but as you can see the consensus if MLS

You are correct sir!

-Chris

SOHC
03-03-2011, 12:28 PM

There's a guy who said it will work ... and he has it listed in his sig as one of his "mods". Either way I'll just go with oem ones.

SOHC MLS Head Gasket - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center (http://www.3si.org/forum/f36/sohc-mls-head-gasket-242859/)

TUFFTR
03-04-2011, 04:27 AM
There's a guy who said it will work ... and he has it listed in his sig as one of his "mods". Either way I'll just go with oem ones.

SOHC MLS Head Gasket - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center (http://www.3si.org/forum/f36/sohc-mls-head-gasket-242859/)

If you look at pictures of both gaskets on ebay it's pretty obvious there's no chance of them fitting mate. different oil/water galleries in the block.

I mean hey if he said it fits, you can listen to him, but yeah, I'd do a bit more research before laying your hard earned down on gaskets that Im 99.999% sure dont fit.