PDA

View Full Version : AWD Not getting into gear!

Chatzvr4
01-31-2011, 01:15 PM
ok being an owner of a shop makes this a bit embarrassing. But i have a buddies car that had started slowly loosing pedal feel. Then one day nothing. Car wont go into gear at all. So i replaced the slave (nothing) I replaced the master (Nothing) Replaced line (nothing) checked pedal adjustment (maxed out) He replaced the clutch and bearing (still nothing) this has been power bled and good old fashioned pump it and hold it. Considering its a buddies car i want to help him out but i dont have the time to spend on it. So i am thinking maybe some one here had the same problem?

DocWalt
01-31-2011, 01:34 PM
What happens when you open the bleeder? Was the whole length of the line replaced? Did he replace the clutch fork?

Chatzvr4
01-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Yes the entire line was replaced with a direct steel braided line. Fluid is flowing. still has the old fork in it. the slave starts to push the fork but only about a half inch. it feels as if it needs to be bled.

DocWalt
01-31-2011, 07:02 PM
I'd try bleeding it again. If that fails, inspect the master and slave cylinders. If that fails, check the fork, and make sure it lines up with a new fork.

stealthee
01-31-2011, 07:54 PM
You said the pedal adjustment was "maxed out". There is a certain amount of free play its supposed to have to be in spec. Maxing it one way or the other will cause major engagement issues.

green-lantern
01-31-2011, 09:26 PM
You said the pedal adjustment was "maxed out". There is a certain amount of free play its supposed to have to be in spec. Maxing it one way or the other will cause major engagement issues.

True, or you put a bad part on. Check for fluid on the inside of the car. It has to be a some sort of leak, air, bad part, or like stealthee mentioned the piston isn't retuning far enough.

MaxClass
01-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Just posted this info on another thread but can’t find it so check this out. It’s an article I wrote that Jeff Lucius posted on his site. It might just solve your problem.

Stealth 316 - Loose Clutch Pedal Support Bracket Bolt (http://www.stealth316.com/2-clutch-bracket-bolt.htm)

Austin@STM
01-31-2011, 11:36 PM
1) have someone watch the clutch fork and make sure if its actually moving or not and that will narrow it down. If its moving a good amount then the hydraulic side should be fine it is a problem in the bellhousing or the other way around if its not moving around.
2) If the fork is moving, its possible something went bad in the trannny itself keeping it from shifting
3) I know you said pedal feel, but also check the cables - bushings could be worn out, or one may have popped of, so it feels like your shifting but your not actually moving the linkage.

-Austin

Chatzvr4
02-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Just posted this info on another thread but can’t find it so check this out. It’s an article I wrote that Jeff Lucius posted on his site. It might just solve your problem.

Stealth 316 - Loose Clutch Pedal Support Bracket Bolt (http://www.stealth316.com/2-clutch-bracket-bolt.htm)

Ill be damned. guess what its missing the freakin bolt. reading that thread, it was word for word what was happening over the last few months. I would have never of thought to look there