PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Motor mounts

TwoXist
01-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Finally have worked my way down the list of repairs and motor mounts are up next. I know i don't want to do solid motor mounts. Nor am i particularly looking to spend a fortune at 3sx. Is there anyone else out there besides 3sx that sells a full set of mounts at a decent price?

MADMarc
01-25-2011, 01:36 AM
There were group buys here and there in the past that let them go for decent prices. Are you avoiding solids because of vibration issues? It really isn't that bad, IMO. I have, however, heard of guys running half and half with a solid and poly combination and they say you don't even notice the solids in there. Maybe that's an idea for saving a couple bucks?

Mike-92RT
01-25-2011, 05:58 AM
i personally won't get solid motor mounts... I dont want my car to vibrate at all.. i'd rather have the engine shake a bit, then the whole car hahaha

Atrosity posted some pics of putting window weld on his motor mounts to repair them, since the window weld dries up rock hard, apparently it works. It was pretty neat, might have to try it myself when the time comes. Obviously if the motor mount is royally fucked, you don't do it.

stealthee
01-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Window weld is a temporary fix. It doesn't last.

Hans@GZP
01-25-2011, 08:27 AM
We're working on a poly mount solution right now. If you give it a couple weeks, we'll have something.

Maximal
01-25-2011, 11:50 AM
If you don't want any vibration at all the only solution is really stock mounts. Poly's are not that much better when it comes to vibration compared to solids.

Austin@STM
01-25-2011, 11:56 AM
It your going to spend any money get the solids, vibration is minimal and only time you can really tell any difference is at idle. They are the lightest option, the cheapest, and from what i have seen the best fitting. I had the Maximal solids in my car last year with no insulation or sounds deadening, not even carpet and the ride was still enjoyable.

Otherwise like Terry said just get a new set of stock mounts if all your after is comfort.

fullracegt
01-25-2011, 02:47 PM
yea, iv got the poly's from 3sx and i didnt really notice that much more of a vibration over stock. but i have under 50k,austins rite tho about the maximal solids and there cheap.I think that the stock motor mounts are horrible because with any real agressive driving theres always a chance for drivetrain damage.

RL7
01-25-2011, 04:59 PM
I made mine. Cut most of the rubber out of the stock mounts. I purposely left some old rubber for the new material to grip. Duct tape them into a reasonable shape (duct tape is the 'mold') and pour some shore 60 or 80 (I forgot) polyurethane. Let it cure and remove the tape. Works fine for me so far. Make sure you put the middle sections into the right spots or reinstallation will be a bitch.

Chatzvr4
01-30-2011, 12:17 PM
We build our own solid mounts. our poly's are still a ways off. i think right now this might be the best deal out there C3Motorsports - 3000GT/Stealth, Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Performance Auto Supply Car Parts & More! - Urethane Motor Mounts (http://c3motorsports.com/3000GT/Stealth/Engine-External/Urethane-Motor-Mounts/prod_184.html)
C3 is also one of the sponsors here so you may get a better deal

MaxClass
01-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Check out Innovative Mounts at: https://www.innovativemounts.com/

They are beautiful and I have never heard a bad word about them. They also come in Shore 60+.

stealthee
01-30-2011, 06:59 PM
That is God awful expensive. Even 3sx's polys dont cost that much.

IPD
01-30-2011, 11:42 PM
3sx polys cost more than the 3sx oem clones. something to think about...

2xmks
01-31-2011, 09:44 AM
+1 Innovative makes great mounts. They are by far the best mounts we have ever used. They come in 4 different ratings.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u304/2xmks/3000GT20Motor20Mounts.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u304/2xmks/INOVATIVE20RACE20MOUNT203000GT.jpg

stealthee
01-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah MaxClass has already pimped them and they are the most expensive option out there. If I want polys I'll go with 3sx or Seattle Paul's.

YoshiBishi
02-01-2011, 08:57 PM
I have 3sx polys and they definitely vibrate more than stock. My stock ones weren't too bad though. I actually like the vibration, makes it feel more like a car.

If I want comfort, I'll drive around with my 4B11 and the only vibration from that is me swaying back and forth trying to make the car move faster :).

IPD
02-01-2011, 09:47 PM
thanks for that info, yoshi. now i definitely have to think about it. i HATE vibration; but i also don't want to risk anything on this build; due to the power levels being >2x stock.

has anyone run new rubber mounts on a 500+ build? any feedback?

BigBoris
02-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Finally have worked my way down the list of repairs and motor mounts are up next. I know i don't want to do solid motor mounts. Nor am i particularly looking to spend a fortune at 3sx. Is there anyone else out there besides 3sx that sells a full set of mounts at a decent price?

If you are worried about vibrations at all then just get the stock rubber mounts. I have full set of poly mounts from 3SX and they feel like or very close to solids. I feel all the vibrations.

Considering you are pushing more power I think its in your best interest to at least get the poly mounts. You'll just tear the rubber mounts apart again.

speedy25
02-02-2011, 01:38 PM
I made mine. Cut most of the rubber out of the stock mounts. I purposely left some old rubber for the new material to grip. Duct tape them into a reasonable shape (duct tape is the 'mold') and pour some shore 60 or 80 (I forgot) polyurethane. Let it cure and remove the tape. Works fine for me so far. Make sure you put the middle sections into the right spots or reinstallation will be a bitch.

I was chatting up a tech guy from energy suspension and his magic number was shore a 60. I havent found a supplier for polyurethane but have a bunch of projects to use it on. Care to divulge a supplier?

-SP

stealthee
02-02-2011, 05:22 PM
There are many places to secure some poly. McMaster Carr seems to be the most common one.

McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#8644k24/=av2mr8)

RL7
02-02-2011, 05:36 PM
I was chatting up a tech guy from energy suspension and his magic number was shore a 60. I havent found a supplier for polyurethane but have a bunch of projects to use it on. Care to divulge a supplier?

-SP

If you do a search on ebay for rtv urethane(urethane rtv items - Get great deals on Crafts items on eBay.com! (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=urethane+rtv)), that's the stuff I used. It was a little cheaper when I got it several years ago, but has worked well. I think I got a gallon kit and it was probably enough to make at least 2-3 sets of mounts.

YoshiBishi
02-03-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm making about 389AWHP right now and the polys vibrate a great deal when idling. It's not too bad when driving though.

BigBoris
02-04-2011, 12:52 AM
Once you get a JIC suspension system the motor mounts are the least of your worries lol... You can feel everything as this suspension is hella stiff.

IPD
02-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Once you get a JIC suspension system the motor mounts are the least of your worries lol... You can feel everything as this suspension is hella stiff.

is that the softest setting? if so...DAYUM!

my d2's are actually about equal to stock when they're on the softest setting. i actually liked my stock; but this is lighter. plus, there's no way i could have found springs to fix the problem i had with my rears.

...now, instead of my tires rubbing on the fender, i get to worry about my coilovers rubbing the rear axle flanges when they are fully extended.... :p

BigBoris
02-04-2011, 01:18 AM
is that the softest setting? if so...DAYUM!

my d2's are actually about equal to stock when they're on the softest setting. i actually liked my stock; but this is lighter. plus, there's no way i could have found springs to fix the problem i had with my rears.

...now, instead of my tires rubbing on the fender, i get to worry about my coilovers rubbing the rear axle flanges when they are fully extended.... :p

I have them tuned for best handling. I don't adjust them or touch them at all. lol I like them stiff, feels like a real sports car. If i wanted a daily driver I would buy a honda lol...

IPD
02-04-2011, 01:26 AM
...when you get another 10 years on you, you'll change your tune. ;) hell, i can't tell you how many guys i've heard say they were tired of DD'ing their VR4 and wanted something automatic/more comfortable/got better gas mileage.

my car handles plenty fine as it is. and if i don't like it, it's all of a 2 minute job to pull out the adjuster and crank them to the opposite end. :)

BigBoris
02-04-2011, 01:55 AM
...when you get another 10 years on you, you'll change your tune. ;) hell, i can't tell you how many guys i've heard say they were tired of DD'ing their VR4 and wanted something automatic/more comfortable/got better gas mileage.

my car handles plenty fine as it is. and if i don't like it, it's all of a 2 minute job to pull out the adjuster and crank them to the opposite end. :)

Oh man, trust me... I been around the block a few times. This car isn't going to be my Daily driver for long. To loud to talk while driving and PD/CHP like to stare me down... Guess that keeps me in check so I don't go smashing around city corners lol! But freeway interchanges. I love the loops and ones that have high bank corners... sign says 25mph my speedo says 60+ lol. It's just going to end up being a weekend car once everything's said and done.

IPD
02-04-2011, 02:00 AM
yeah, you should just sell it and buy a vr4 now; before you get too attached & end up paying 5-figures to turn it into one.

BigBoris
02-04-2011, 02:05 AM
I would rather convert my 3kGT into a RWD then get a VR4 for the road course. Nah thats a lie lol VR4 would be fully modded tho. and this car is still more fun then a VR4 because I can mash the gas down around a corner and still be in control. FWD's are fun. I have been able to mash around many AWD cars in corners in my FWD's =) RWD is fun too but drifting on a mountain road can make your A-hole pucker up hard core. lol

IPD
02-04-2011, 02:32 AM
if your fwd is out-handling awd's, one of two things is happening:

1. the awd's have no power.
2. the drivers suck.

erron will tell you straight up; awd+aws is a potent combination; unmatched by anything out there. there is a learning curve to it, but once you have mastered it, you are much more capable than you would be behind the wheel of nearly any other vehicle in existence (except, perhaps, for a comptech NSX). if i was into hardcore road-racing, that's what i would want. stock 3.0L, dr750's for spool, and aws to give me better slip angle for the twisties.

do NOT underestimate what aws can do in the hands of a skilled driver.

BigBoris
02-04-2011, 03:09 AM
if your fwd is out-handling awd's, one of two things is happening:

1. the awd's have no power.
2. the drivers suck.

erron will tell you straight up; awd+aws is a potent combination; unmatched by anything out there. there is a learning curve to it, but once you have mastered it, you are much more capable than you would be behind the wheel of nearly any other vehicle in existence (except, perhaps, for a comptech NSX). if i was into hardcore road-racing, that's what i would want. stock 3.0L, dr750's for spool, and aws to give me better slip angle for the twisties.

do NOT underestimate what aws can do in the hands of a skilled driver.

You're underestimating the tune and capabilities of my FWD. Not to mention my own skill behind the wheel. HP has no impact on cornering until the exit. I can smash in a lot harder then most drivers. =) I'm an exceptional driver. But don't get me wrong I still have much to learn.

Sin'sVr4
02-06-2011, 12:50 AM
You're underestimating the tune and capabilities of my FWD. Not to mention my own skill behind the wheel. HP has no impact on cornering until the exit. I can smash in a lot harder then most drivers. I have no fear as I have already flipped on car. =) I'm an exceptional driver. But don't get me wrong I still have much to learn.

umm...your own skill...and flipped your car is kinda an oxyMORON. If you think your NA FWD will out handle a vr4, then perfect is right, A. bad driver, B. turd vr4? ahhaa

CoopKill
02-06-2011, 02:42 AM
You are still convinced eh?

Auto cross you may have a drivers chance, but true road course not gonna happen...

Nothings more real then the feeling of asphalt to your elbows.

Please explain, cuz it sounds like a threat in there somewhere?

BigBoris
02-06-2011, 03:15 AM
You are still convinced eh?

Auto cross you may have a drivers chance, but true road course not gonna happen...

Please explain, cuz it sounds like a threat in there somewhere?

On the track... On the track... lol Not violent... I love racing...

IPD
02-06-2011, 03:50 AM
I had a lot more to say about your BS you just spit son but I decided to leave that out. Talk your shit with your drag queen of a car, you got nothing on the road course so you should of just kept your shit to yourself. Your DYNO tune won't help you in my playground. I'm not talking about 0-60 with a "help me launch" kit. I'm talking about less than 5 minutes from top to bottom on a mountain road. If you got something to say then come out and play. Nothings more real then the feeling of asphalt to your elbows.

i'm sorry, did you say you were a member of the filipino racing team?

BigBoris
02-06-2011, 04:08 AM
i'm sorry, did you say you were a member of the filipino racing team?

What the flip? Way off base... I was referring to Sin'sVR4's comment.