PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain Looking for info on clutch kits.

Razer440
01-09-2011, 07:34 PM
I am having my engine rebuilt and the mechanic says I need to replace the pressure plate and clutch. I have an RPS Max TT with Street Disc and it has a light pedal which I like a lot. I don't want the heavy stock clutch, I'm thinking either stage 1 or stage 2.
What is an affordable replacement that also has a light pedal?? Any info, links or websites where I can read and compare things would be great.

Hans@GZP
01-09-2011, 07:40 PM
The south bend clutches have a nice light pedal and are really affordable. If you don't want a heavy pedal, then stay away from ACT.

Razer440
01-09-2011, 07:55 PM
South Bend, looks like I will be doing more reading about them then. Yeah I got the feeling about ACT being heavy. Thanks Hans!

Hans@GZP
01-09-2011, 08:07 PM
No problem. I use ACT clutches in my own twin turbos and they are definitely a very heavy clutch.

Razer440
01-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Oh yeah. I dont want a heavy clutch, I test drove a 92 TT and it had a heavy clutch. It was not fun to drive. I have also been looking at Ralco RZ clutches. I dont know anything about them, but it sounds like a good one. But IDK
Ralco RZ Stage 2 Carbon Kevlar Clutch Kits from HorsepowerFreaks (http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/Ralco_RZ/Clutch/Clutch_Kits/Stage_2_Carbon_Kevlar/16857)

Hans@GZP
01-09-2011, 08:39 PM
I've never heard of them, but that's a damn cheap price!!!

Ninja Performance
01-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Do NOT use a SPEC clutch unless it is a Unsprung hub. Period.

-Chris

Razer440
01-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Do NOT use a SPEC clutch unless it is a Unsprung hub. Period.

-Chris

OK why?

Hans@GZP
01-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Springs like to explode out of the discs and cause a ton of damage.

Razer440
01-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I've never heard of them, but that's a damn cheap price!!!

Yeah me neither, and yeah it is, I'm really curious about Ralco RZ clutches too. I sent an email and hope to hear back from them soon.

Razer440
01-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Springs like to explode out of the discs and cause a ton of damage.

Wow well thats a good reason. And that could land a company in some legal issues I would think.

Razer440
01-09-2011, 10:54 PM
I sent an email to clutch city on line.com and they replied back with Recommend SPEC Stage I or II. Ha ha yeah I don't think so. Thanks anyway. I will keep looking.

x2percentmilk
01-09-2011, 11:38 PM
My SPEC had a spring blow
Loved my ACT, little pricey and a heavy pedal (not what you seem to want)
My southbend TZ has been dandy. Happy with it for the price, drivable, light pedal. Im having some slight on and off again issues but I dont think its because of the Southbend because the symptoms were evident in my last clutch.

Emilie@GZP
01-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Every car that has come through this shop with exploded springs, were SPEC clutches. We refuse to even install them on our customers cars. We stick with mostly Southbend or ACT clutches, and our customers have had no complaints thus far.

*edit* whoop, I see Hans replied already :p That's what I get for skipping past the first page of replies :)

Ninja Performance
01-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Every car that has come through this shop with exploded springs, were SPEC clutches. We refuse to even install them on our customers cars. We stick with mostly Southbend or ACT clutches, and our customers have had no complaints thus far.

*edit* whoop, I see Hans replied already :p That's what I get for skipping past the first page of replies :)

Yep, I have sen my fare share, or maybe more of spring blown SPEC clutches. The SPEC un sprung clutches however are nice. The 4+ is a stout clutch as is the 5.

I have always had good luck with ACT also.

-Chris