PDA

View Full Version : identify noise and receive cash!!

Caswell239
12-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Alright i made a new thread because its easier this way so all the information is on the first post. i have a strange engine noise going on with my car that is intermittent. The last 3 times i started my car have beenn now that its -20c out and the noise isnt present for about 20 seconds and with out me doing anything. so it start up like normal sounds normal then out of the blue bam the noise will come back. it changes tone all on its own. today i took a video and at the 35sec mark its completely gone at idle but if i just snap the throttle a little bit comes back.

heres the vid:
YouTube - IMG_0377[1].MOV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1aINSyHTA4)
i know it sounds brutal when i rev it up. and i dont want to hear the "are you an idiot why are you revving it/still running it when it sounds like that" because im at the point i dont care what happens to it really, i just want to know what it is.

backstory:
I was driving up a steep windy road in between 2 of the corners i bounced off the rev limiter just before i start to brake for the corner. When i got to the top and stopped i could hear the noise. the car still drove just like normal on the way home, just with a noise.

Ive been messing with it the last few months and changed the lifters, pulled the belts(maybe a pulley bearing), compression test 135 across the board. tried taking spark away from each cylinder one at a time, changed oil (was fine), new oil is fine no coolant. inspected all rockers and valve spring when i changed the lifters. ive used a stethoscope but am having no luck with it. timing belt is tight, no looseness at any time. hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and had 42 psi at 1500rpm, with no fluctuation when the noise would cycle. Engine runs and starts fine no problem. just has annoying noise. thats all i can think of for now.

**if you give me a thought of what it is and it leads me to figure out whats wrong i will paypal $200**

Heres the other videos in order from 1st i took to last i took. the one at the beginning of the post is most recent.
YouTube - IMG 0290 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iePgFw9vGMQ)
YouTube - IMG_0338.MOV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMBHD6TMxCo)
YouTube - IMG_0339.MOV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPytOvZkB9Q)
YouTube - IMG_0340.MOV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfP_SMBrfQc)

Thanks

Chad

stealthee
12-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Sounds like a lifter eithercame loose or came apart to me.

Caswell239
12-27-2010, 03:52 PM
all the lifters are new and rock stiff with oil. i changed the lifters between videos 1 and 2 and theres no difference there. i was just in the under both valve covers a couple of hours ago and it all looks mint.

Boomer3000
12-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Flex plate many be?

Caswell239
12-27-2010, 04:07 PM
how so... like its come loose? well ill check it out tomorrow! thanks for the idea

Boomer3000
12-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Could have come loose or even broken in one of the sections.

1stStealthN/A
12-27-2010, 07:22 PM
I had a flex plate break one tab off on a 92 Eclipse automatic and it sounded like that. Is it automatic? I would pull the front covers off and check the waterpump or those idler pulleys also.

stealthee
12-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Are you able to put the car in gear with the car running? It almost sounds like it could be a popped spring from a clutch rattling around.

Caswell239
12-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Yea I can. I drove it home just about 1 kilometer home and it drove like normal. A few people seem to think clutch spring as well on the other forum

It's a 5spd

stealthee
12-27-2010, 08:44 PM
If it were a clutch spring shifting would be very difficult.

Atrosity
12-28-2010, 02:14 AM
It's your clutch spring, you would need a new clutch all together. That is what this sounds like to me or a bolt in the engine internals rattling around.

Atrosity
12-28-2010, 02:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1aINSyHTA4

to me it sounds like a bolt or something in the rear head, that is not a clutch sound.

Caswell239
12-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Well i guess I'll start pulling the trans out today... Might as well as it will help narrow out the problem

Boomer3000
12-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Woot for the tran pull.

2fnloud
12-28-2010, 06:02 PM
I am going to say a flywheel bolt.

Street_Chally73
12-28-2010, 10:15 PM
If you had a hard time shifting it after the noise appeared, then I'd say part of the clutch spring retainer let loose & is spinning around inside the clutch assembly...don't ask me how I know.

green-lantern
12-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Have you tried using a long prybar like a stethoscope to find where the noise is coming from?

Caswell239
12-29-2010, 12:35 AM
i have a stethoscope and i still cant find it!!!

Mike-92RT
12-29-2010, 01:08 AM
first find out if the noise is coming from your upper or lower part of the engine

Emilie@GZP
12-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Take the plenum off, and check in all the ports for the lower intake manifold (??) for a socket or bolt. Sounds like it's hitting the valves or whatever and banging around in there.

get one of those stick-magnets, and stick it down in there. My guess is you'll come up with a surprise :lol:

or the most odd case of rod knock ever.

green-lantern
12-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Take the plenum off, and check in all the ports for the lower intake manifold (??) for a socket or bolt. Sounds like it's hitting the valves or whatever and banging around in there.

get one of those stick-magnets, and stick it down in there. My guess is you'll come up with a surprise :lol:

or the most odd case of rod knock ever.

You know I was thinking that but damn you would think that bitch would have jammed a valve open by now.......well it might of now, judging by the sound.

OP you would think you could tell if it was coming from the bellhousing or the engine. Do you have any idea? It sounds like the back of the engine in the video.

CoopKill
12-29-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm still cringing with gooose pimple! AARRGh!

gltasn
12-30-2010, 09:22 AM
id pull the valve covers and have some bad as manually spin the crank as fast as he could while you watch the valve train. my guess is something has loosened up like cam journals and its making the rockers slap about.

Emilie@GZP
12-30-2010, 09:35 AM
You know I was thinking that but damn you would think that bitch would have jammed a valve open by now.......well it might of now, judging by the sound.

OP you would think you could tell if it was coming from the bellhousing or the engine. Do you have any idea? It sounds like the back of the engine in the video.

I had a 10mm cobalt socket in my old beige AWD ATX TT. polished up that one port pretty good. :lol: I must have put 5k+ miles on it... never caused any problems... I never even knew the damn thing was there until Hans pulled the engine apart because I dropped a cylinder (grenaded valve... not related to the socket, surprisingly enough). We both laughed, because it must have been there since well before I bought the car... Hans doesn't (or never did) own any cobalt sockets :p

Atrosity
12-30-2010, 11:23 AM
I had a 10mm cobalt socket in my old beige AWD ATX TT. polished up that one port pretty good. :lol: I must have put 5k+ miles on it... never caused any problems... I never even knew the damn thing was there until Hans pulled the engine apart because I dropped a cylinder (grenaded valve... not related to the socket, surprisingly enough). We both laughed, because it must have been there since well before I bought the car... Hans doesn't (or never did) own any cobalt sockets :p

Hahahah, pretty sure this sound is something similar, It's definitely something rattling in the rear head I bet.

stealthee
12-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Definitely sounds rear head related, but the problem is on video the sound can travel and make it harder to figure where it is coming from.

blindmist
12-30-2010, 04:33 PM
I had a flex plate break one tab off on a 92 Eclipse automatic and it sounded like that. Is it automatic? I would pull the front covers off and check the waterpump or those idler pulleys also.

Only if it is an auto, but I confirm this is what a broken flex plate sounds like too on a DSM. Sounded exactly like rod knock. lol

J_Parker
12-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Try pulling your pan, could be something rattling around in there. It's a little easier to do and will narrow down the list of problems. Could also be something to do with the clutch. Good luck man.

stealthee
12-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Pulling the pan isn't all that easy. You have to remove the downpipe, the starter, the engine to trans supports, and on a TT I beleive the transfer case. Its not exactly a 5 minute job.

J_Parker
12-30-2010, 11:30 PM
Pulling the pan isn't all that easy. You have to remove the downpipe, the starter, the engine to trans supports, and on a TT I beleive the transfer case. Its not exactly a 5 minute job.

Riiight... I've been away for far too long, bloody 5.0L :Disdain:

Mike-92RT
12-31-2010, 12:15 PM
it doesn't sound like a bent valve(s).. i've experienced it.

Drain your oil out and see if anything comes out. It also doesn't hurt to pull the oil pan either. It sounds like he knows what he's doing.

zelstin
12-31-2010, 01:20 PM
If a stethoscope's not working, I'd get the engine warmed up, turn it off, and poke around with a strong magnet. Were you working on anything post turbo, in the intake tract before the backstory?

green-lantern
12-31-2010, 01:35 PM

That is tooo damn funny!

Atrosity
02-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Any update on this, I have the same exact issue >:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J. Fast
02-18-2011, 01:50 AM
Ooh, darn, I missed this (I love the sound game)! Sounds like a frayed belt whipping on the timing cover.

Ehh, So what was it?

GTwizard
02-19-2011, 01:05 AM
Sounds like the damn harmonic ballanceer is coming apart. But almost too loud for that even. Have you pulled the timing cover. Could also be a bad timing belt idler pullley or tensioner pulley. The best that others have guessed that I see is so far is a clutch issue. Or something is in the bell housing. almost Like a spring being tossed around. That what MY NA sounded like when I spit 2 spiders in to the bell housing. LoL. Well 4 halfs anyways.

Turbo Beast
02-19-2011, 01:45 AM
I know what this is!!!

Farting in a milkshake!

Atrosity
02-19-2011, 03:04 AM
Well I have the same sound in my car. I KNOW that it is coming from the rear head and that i did NOT drop anything down the IM. So my guess from this is the type of oil I am using and that is the Rotella 15w 40 non synthetic diesel oil.

This sound came from when I changed my oil, to prove this I will have to change my oil.