PDA

View Full Version : Slow

green-lantern
12-19-2010, 09:57 PM
I have noticed lately it seems the board is getting pretty slow. Anybody else having these issues? It's actually getting kind of frustrating.

edit: Just to clarify I'm taking about forum speed.

Unknownvr4
12-19-2010, 09:58 PM
same here.

green-lantern
12-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Not quite all the time, sometimes no problem and other times painfully slow.

Granny
12-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Agreed!

Alan92RTTT
12-19-2010, 10:27 PM
I "hope" to do the vb upgrade and server upgrade this week.

We'll see how that goes.

green-lantern
12-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Cool, If you need any help LMK. Just don't sell the place to AF to make it faster :lo5l: I'll gladly shell cash out of my pocket 1st.

CoopKill
12-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Ditto, this place just seems homier for some reason!

arthur92710
12-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Slow down the torrents.

Same here.

B-Man
12-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Hah, I thought it was just me. Guess not.

green-lantern
12-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Hah, I thought it was just me. Guess not.

You’re still slow but the board it too. :p

;)

B-Man
12-20-2010, 04:36 PM
You’re still slow but the board it too. :p

;)

Who's slow?

IPD
12-20-2010, 07:01 PM
slow here. especially out here. got it's painful. even in the 2 months i've been out here, it's been like molasses gradually cooling to a frozen state.

BaadVR4
12-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I frequently wait well over a full minute (actually timed, not the perceptual "minute" that is actually only 10-15 seconds) to load the "Forum" from the home page. God help me if I try to load "New Posts" when the site is slow.

I also notice most of my posts in the "For Sale" section don't show up in the "New Posts". Ever. And I recently have noticed that when I post to a thread, the thread disappears from the "New Posts" altogether. I don't know how long before they come back or what prompts their return (remember, I'm a self proclaimed "electronic idiot"), but I do know they go away and even "refreshing" the page doesn't bring them back. I have Cox High Speed Internet with a 13 mps download speed, so I don't think the problem is in my service.

green-lantern
12-21-2010, 11:22 AM
I also notice most of my posts in the "For Sale" section don't show up in the "New Posts". Ever. And I recently have noticed that when I post to a thread, the thread disappears from the "New Posts" altogether. I don't know how long before they come back or what prompts their return (remember, I'm a self proclaimed "electronic idiot"), but I do know they go away and even "refreshing" the page doesn't bring them back. I have Cox High Speed Internet with a 13 mps download speed, so I don't think the problem is in my service.

http://www.3sgto.org/showthread.php?2867-New-Post-quot-Button-quot-Issues

BaadVR4
12-21-2010, 12:50 PM
http://www.3sgto.org/showthread.php?2867-New-Post-quot-Button-quot-Issues

So my "New Post" shows up for every other forum user, but not for me? I admit to being electronically illiterate. I admit to not understanding how (or why) any of this works. I don't admit to being irrational or retarded. The link you gave has several good reasons why I might need to see my "New Post". At the risk of offense, the "other" site doesn't work this way. Nor, imho, should this one.

Then there are "New Posts" on page 5 of 5 that were actually posted AFTER most of the "New Posts" on page 1. All in all, I think the "New Posts" section should be just that: a chronological listing (most recent first) of all "New Posts". I readily agree there needs be a limit on the number of "New Posts", so there should be a system to retain posts only more recent than, say, 48 hours (or whatever is a reasonable time limit). But allowing "all others" to see my "New Post" and precluding me from seeing it can't help limit the number of "New Posts". Just my 1.5 cents worth.

Alan92RTTT
12-21-2010, 01:25 PM

It is, A list of threads having posts that you have not read. These posts by the forums definition are "new" to you. Thus they call it "new posts". Any thread you have posted it will not be listed until someone posts after you have last looked at it.

BaadVR4
12-21-2010, 01:59 PM

It is, A list of threads having posts that you have not read. These posts by the forums definition are "new" to you. Thus they call it "new posts". Any thread you have posted it will not be listed until someone posts after you have last looked at it.

And that is irrevocable?

Alan92RTTT
12-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Changing something like that would lock us out of updates and patches which is a bad a thing. SO yes, I will not be changing it.

mb3000
12-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Slow here, but not too bad.

BaadVR4
12-21-2010, 03:11 PM
But, at least in theory, I could circumvent this issue by having two "accounts" and using one to "post" and the other to "view"?

Chevelle5434
12-21-2010, 04:37 PM
There are times I give up trying to get onto this site.

BaadVR4
12-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Changing something like that would lock us out of updates and patches which is a bad a thing. SO yes, I will not be changing it.

The "New Posts" is a side distraction. I just timed the loading time from the home page to "Forum". It took 1 min 6 seconds. All too often an experience for me. Can we/are we going to do anything to fix the "slow" issue? Thanks.

Alan92RTTT
12-21-2010, 06:57 PM
If you want to see your threads and posts just use the "subscribed threads" option on the quick links menu.