PDA

View Full Version : Remote Start in '08 Legacy

HLxDrummer
12-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Anyone have any experience with this type of thing? I would imagine it would be pretty simple on our cars but I'm not sure on a newer car. I'm assuming there would be issue with the key not being in the car/factory alarm/etc. Any input?

stealthee
12-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Even on older cars they are a complete bitch to install. My dad and I installed one on a 93 Dodge Shadow ES several years back and it was a HUGE headache.

We ended up having to rip it out several months later becasuse it started "taking over" the car.

I would never recommend anyone try to install one themself and leave it to the "pros."

HLxDrummer
12-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Aw really? I was thinking about getting one for my GF for christmas. How much do you think a decent one would be installed?

P.S. How have you been!?

stealthee
12-19-2010, 09:32 PM
I think Best Buy charges around $100 if you take a kit to them. I don't know if the price is any better if you buy the kit from them. I am sure you got other electronic shops around you that might offer better deals.

As for me. Been better. If you saw my thread in "general" you'd see the car was teod to a shop today because of running over something on the road. Its an insurance thing now so I am letting them take care of it. I am at least getting a new front bumper out of it. I'm not sure how much damage is done underneath though.

HLxDrummer
12-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Hm.. guess I'll have to look around tomorrow.

I did see your thread, forgot all about it. That really sucks but at least it's getting taken care of. Hope everything goes smoothly!

95gto
12-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Speaking as a former pro, 6+ years experience with multiple shops, installing these guys aren't too bad if you know what you are doing. However, if you have never done anything like this before I strongly recomend not attempting one on a newer car.

Optimally you should buy a unit from professional shop and let them handle the install for multiple reasons:
1) reasources - they will have access to dealer direct info you as a consumer will not
2) warranty - most security/convenience companies like viper, code, autopage, etc have dealer direct policies with lifetime product warranties. When you buy their stuff off the net from non-authorized dealers it can void warranties.
3) install warranty - remote starts can be tempormental and require follow up work, mostly security bypass related, so if you have a pro shop install it they should also do warranty/troubleshooting labor, if needed, for free.
4) free un-installation - allows you to un-install the unit if you ever plan to sell the vehicle and want to keep the system to be installed in a different vehicle at a later date
5) insurance - mistakes and accidents happen and sometimes just from trying to take a vehicle apart. Going to a professional shop ensures that any mistakes will be paid for by the shop doing the work rather than by you.

The main con to having a pro shop do the work will be the cost of the security bypass interface. These can be had off the net for about half of what the shops will charge but sometimes you have to pay the extra price on a product to get the service of the store that goes with it.

My only word of warning is that you have to find a good shop to do the work. Box stores and private shops alike are only as good as their installers and I have seen very talented people working at both types of places, as well as very untalented people working both kinds of places. Make sure your local shop of choice has guys that know what they are doing.

FlamboyantStealthTT
12-21-2010, 09:33 AM
are you getting the viper remote start/alarms? its "vibration alarm" feature is the most annoying thing ever. if you work on the car and shut the hood the alarm will trigger. if you close the door the alarm will trigger also...

HLxDrummer
12-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Ya I think I'll skip it for now guys lol Maybe a little later have someone else install one if it's not too much money.

One more question. What exactly does the security bypass do? Does it make the car easier to steal?

Thanks for all the info!

stealthee
12-21-2010, 04:51 PM
A quick google

The Ready Remote Alarm Bypass Module allows you to pass through even the toughest anti-theft system, letting you start your vehicle without marring the effectiveness of either assemblies. More importantly, the Ready Remote Alarm Bypass Module provides protection before and after remote starting.

95gto
12-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Ya I think I'll skip it for now guys lol Maybe a little later have someone else install one if it's not too much money.

One more question. What exactly does the security bypass do? Does it make the car easier to steal?

Thanks for all the info!

A quick google

This and yes if the thief knows/sees that the vehicle as an aftermarket remote start system it will make getting around the immobilizer system very easy.