PDA

View Full Version : Brakes 2nd gen ABS questions

EvanH
12-15-2010, 12:07 PM
I have read a lot of stories about the 1st gen ABS being terrible. Mine as of current is disabled and I have pretty good brake feel. I am however wondering about if it is even worth the work and effort to put a second gen system in my car along with doing up a complete 2nd gen caliper setup.

One. Would I be able to just swap computers and the Pump/hydraulic motor?

And Two. Is the 2nd gen ABS(or at least the system that was on the 99 as the latest) truly good?

Kinda been toying with the idea as well about getting the smallest 4 wheel Stop tech kit. It says it is made to work with ABS. I wonder if that would even be another worth it thing...

Chris@Rvengeperformance
12-15-2010, 04:54 PM
I had a 2nd gen NA and the ABS sucked donkey balls. Like blowing through intersections trying to stop from 10 MPH in snow bad. I'd have to use the e-brake sometimes to get the damn thing to not ride the ABS and actually stop. I wouldn't recommend wasting your time changing out the ABS stuff.

Deleting the ABS sure saves a lot of space and complexity...

stealthee
12-15-2010, 06:45 PM
I agree. Completely ditch all the ABS stuff and simplify things.

OT though, your location says Uniontown. What Uniontown are you in? I know there are a bunch all over the country, I am just curious.

EvanH
12-15-2010, 09:37 PM
PA. Connellsville, more specifically, but I figured it was more recognizable.

So even the second gen ABS sucks? I know Ron Stealth had a hard time breaking in his stop techs cause they were able to lock the wheels. Oh well.

stealthee
12-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Seriously? I work like 5 miles from Connellsville. Its right out by the Laurel Mall, Pechins plaza.

I live about 25 miles south of there.

Austin@STM
12-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Delete it if anything, if you have it unplugged already then there is no point in it being in there. Its just more possible problems.

jba3
12-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Delete.

But I have a spare 2nd gen (95) ABS setup from where I deleted mine if you really, really want ABS.

EvanH
12-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Seriously? I work like 5 miles from Connellsville. Its right out by the Laurel Mall, Pechins plaza.

I live about 25 miles south of there.

Only been there for a few years now but yea lol. I know where the mall is.

stealthee
12-16-2010, 09:56 PM
A few years? WTF? I thought I sold you something last year and you were in Wisconsin, or Minnesota, or something. LOL

Yeah, I actually work down off Mt Braddock road.

See and you never posted in the 3spa section either. :sad:

:lol:

EvanH
12-17-2010, 10:36 AM
It may be odd, but being in the army, I have not "lived" in PA but for like a total of 3 months. For the past 4 years........So I never really felt worthy of posting in a regional section yet.

I think you did sell me something,lol, I should remember these things better. But that was in KS if anything.

stealthee
12-17-2010, 07:33 PM
I see, I see. Yeah, Kansas was probably it. I have sold so much stuff over the years that its hard to keep track.

EvanH
12-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Yea, come to think of it, it was the set of tan A pillars. Maybe when I come home and start up school I can participate in some of the meets.