PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't boost!!!!

DrGonzo
11-25-2010, 12:47 PM
So I have been going through and fixing little things here and there after building the R/T basically from the ground up. I have just found that I cannot get the car to boost at all and it is driving me nuts. I pressure tested the system and everything is now all nice and tight. No more leaks and still no boost! Made sure the waste-gates were closed all the way and nothing still. When I rev the engine up it the boost gauge goes to zero and that's it. Nothing more! The turbos were rebuilt and they turn just fine no shaft play at all. when I rev up the engine I can here them spool up and the BOV releases but it is quiet as I have it closed loop. I though it might be the boost gauge but when I did the pressure test it read boost just fine. I removed the vaccum lines from the wastegates and still nothing...ARGH!!

What else should I look for?

Any help is appreciated!

-Greg

Valhallaz
11-25-2010, 12:59 PM
If you're not making boost, why would the BOV release? I'd start there.

DrGonzo
11-25-2010, 01:04 PM
It releases when I let off the throttle.

Atrosity
11-25-2010, 02:02 PM
I believe you can still blow off on vacuum. I would suspect it's your wastegates or your turbos have siezed or the flapper has disintegrated.

DrGonzo
11-25-2010, 02:58 PM
I thought that about the wastegates also. I checked and they are fine. The flaps move on the turbos and they are sealing correctly.

I can hear the turbos spool up! I rebuilt the turbos so I don't think they are seized up. I am going to pull the intake pipes tomorrow and make sure they are still spinning properly.

Lithium
11-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Just wanted to check one thing, are you driving the car or just revving it up in the driveway? The car will not create boost unless it's under a load.

DrGonzo
11-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Just wanted to check one thing, are you driving the car or just revving it up in the driveway? The car will not create boost unless it's under a load.

Really!!! Then that explains all my isues! I have just been reving it up in the driveway as it is not ready for the road yet.

So why will it not boost when just reving the engine?

SupraMKIII
11-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Even though the RPMs go up, you're still moving a LOT more air/fuel when your foot is to the floor than when you're just revving it.

green-lantern
11-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Really!!! Then that explains all my isues! I have just been reving it up in the driveway as it is not ready for the road yet.

So why will it not boost when just reving the engine?

LOL Jackass! :p

jk No it WILL NOT build boost when it isn't under load.

DrGonzo
11-25-2010, 07:54 PM
LOL Jackass! :p

jk No it WILL NOT build boost when it isn't under load.

Smartass.... LOL

Well I guess I just had my noob moment when it comes to Turbos!
Remember I just recently crossed over to the dark side so I am still trying to figure all of this turbo stuff out.

Thanks for the help everyone! This just gave me the motivation to get the brakes finished so I can test drive it and get the SAFC and boost controller set correctly.

Atrosity
11-25-2010, 10:39 PM
LOL is that really the answer to your issue? You just haven't drove the car!? hahahaha It's all good we all have our moments, I know I have.

thor'svr4
11-25-2010, 10:49 PM
lmfao if you were a new member i would have asked if you were just reving in neutral, but i figured 'if hes had a tt fwd than im sure hes not sitting in his driveway reving the car and wondering why he isn’t boosting in neutral.'

lol glad you got the 'issue' fixed.

green-lantern
11-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Smartass.... LOL

Well I guess I just had my noob moment when it comes to Turbos!
Remember I just recently crossed over to the dark side so I am still trying to figure all of this turbo stuff out.

Thanks for the help everyone! This just gave me the motivation to get the brakes finished so I can test drive it and get the SAFC and boost controller set correctly.

Don't feel bad, I pretty much did the same thing when I 1st did my TT conversion. I also know others that have done the same thing that are very respected members. ha ha :D

DrGonzo
11-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Sad part is I did the FWD TT conversion but never got to the point on that car to drive it. This is the furthest I have completed a turbo project. I'm sure I will have more "Ohh Shit Really!" moments....LMAO

I think what was really throwing me off was that I noticed it when doing the initial SAFC tuning. The instructions said to set the base tune with the car running in neutral. I though to myself "Well I'm not getting any boost WTF!"

Thanks again everyone and I hope you all enjoyed the good laugh..... :)

Atrosity
11-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Just be sure to run tons of datalogs and tune conservatively. :)

Lithium
11-26-2010, 01:02 AM
lol, Glad I could help buddy!!!

MaxClass
11-27-2010, 08:26 PM

Mostly true 99% of the time.

I was talking with "Eric" at FSR and he told me they have a way to give you up to 15 pounds of boost before you come off the clutch using the AEM EMS II unit when set up a special way. Not sure how they do this but he said they can. Probably can't do it with the stock ECU though.

Am seriously looking at having them do mine that way with the 19T's. It almost scares me to think about it.

Lithium
11-27-2010, 08:44 PM
^ I believe you can do it with our 3rd gen ECU's but yes. Anti-lag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antilag_system) is what everyone calls it these days. You could also bounce it off the rev limiter and you might get 5 or so PSI but I wouldn't suggest you do so. Anti-lag will also tear up your exhaust turbine wheel over time.

Unknownvr4
11-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Yes the feature is called antilag and is available on some piggy backs like emanage ultimate and standalones like the aem

EvilNCarnate
11-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Two Step w/ AFC as proven by Ray Pampena

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feXHcvxfasc

R/T93
11-28-2010, 07:48 PM
I did that and I hit 7 psi in about a half second, WORKS GREAT. Gonna test out some launches when I get my motor mounts and bellhousing brace installed.

Lithium
11-28-2010, 08:35 PM
WOW ray is a badass, I cant wait to try this tomorrow morning on my way to work lol.

DrGonzo
11-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Yeah so I finally decided to drive the car around the neighborhood to see how she ran. I was able to to the car through three gears just casual driving to see how everything felt. Besides an annoying alt/ac pulley squealing "Needs replacing" and a damn front brake dust shield rubbing the rotor the car felt good. So I decided to give it a little gas in second to see if the boost would build. I have the boost controller set to stock boost just to get a feel for the car. Well I got boost alright! 15psi worth of it according to the Prosport and HKS EVC. Good to know now that the damn EVC 4 is not working worth a shit! Glad I shut it down fast as I probably would have blown the hell out of that engine. and of course my logger cable came unhooked to I didn't get the logs. Luckily my new cable came in yesterday so I can now replace the POS cable in the car currently.

R/T93
11-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Sounds like the boost controller isnt hooked up correctly. I forgot to re-connect a vacuum line to the EBC during my Y-pipe install then went out to do some logging/tuning. Hit 23 psi and knew something was wrong, lol.

Also, if you have your EBC set to Wastegate instead of actuator it will do the same thing wont regulate the boost. Make sure the settings are right, I am sure you will figure it out, good luck.

DrGonzo
11-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Might be. I'm not really liking the HKS EVC4 so I am probably going to replace it with either the AEM true boost or the Blitz Dual SBC Spec-S. I had to take the solenoid apart on the HKS EVC and adjust it back to 0 as when I would turn the car on it said I was at 23psi when the engine was not even running. It tracks good now but I don't know if the valve is actually functioning properly. I bought it used from someone on 3si dirt cheap and untested, I took a gamble.......

Atrosity
11-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Don't go tru boost, trust me I recommend just getting a simple hallman MBC. I have went through SOOOO many boost controllers and the mbc one is the best one so far. I set it to 17 psi and it holds 17psi, the tru boost wont always hold or it will spike boost not to mention my solenoid took a crap on me.

mb3000
11-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Two Step w/ AFC as proven by Ray Pampena

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feXHcvxfasc

"There's ya 2 step, my neighbors are probibly pissed.." :lol:

J_Parker
12-06-2010, 12:10 AM
I can hit 10psi in the soarer just sitting there? If I can dig up a vid I'll post it up.

Lithium
12-06-2010, 08:09 PM
^ is it an auto?

J_Parker
12-06-2010, 08:17 PM
^ is it an auto?

Torque converter... I figured that one out shortly after posting :p

Lithium
12-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah, once the converter is stalled up the engine can really create as much boost as you want.

jba3
12-08-2010, 01:12 PM
"There's ya 2 step, my neighbors are probibly pissed.." :lol:

Interesting.

mh3kgt
12-08-2010, 01:54 PM
That's freaking awesome...hmm wonder if 2step will work like that on my Maftpro...