PDA

View Full Version : AWD Kormex Transmission is leaking

Atrosity
11-24-2010, 11:04 AM
My kormex Transmission was purchased in January '10 and I have 15k Miles on it. I got a chance to examine my undercarriage and it looks like they did not seal this transmission very well, the damn thing leaks, whines in second gear, and the drain plug and probably the worse metal shavings EVER take whatever you have seen and times it by 10 however there was no metal particles in the fluids itself.

What can I do to fix the leak, or what should I do in general, think it would last another 15k miles? I paid 3 grand for everything out the door (tranny,tc,fluids,installation) for the shittiest transmission on the market.....thinking I was getting name brand.

I do not have the pictures with me, bboyalan has them on his camera.

J-Groove
11-24-2010, 11:13 AM
I say first contact Kormex and see what they say?

You may have to pay shipping back to them but hopefully they will warranty their work.

-John

Atrosity
11-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Unfortunately it has been passed the 90 days. I doubt they would even care, last time I called them they were very rude.

green-lantern
11-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Unfortunately it has been passed the 90 days. I doubt they would even care, last time I called them they were very rude.

I didn't like the way they handled VR4ever when he had an issue with them. I'm pretty sure I won’t be doing business with them.

Atrosity
11-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah I am torn between fixing this transmission or drive the piss out of it until it breaks and see how long it lasts, the car runs fine it just whines in second gear :P

I have the worst luck, LMI and Kormex...what next!?

Polygon
11-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Have Jack's take care of it. There has been too much bad shit about Kormex lately. They won't be getting my business. I've heard nothing but outstanding things about Jack's. Plus they stand behind their work.

MADMarc
11-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Sorry to hear it, Eric, but I am in the same boat: Effing kormex trans leaks too. I have to pull the trans down the road as my clutch doesn't want to launch me any more and it heats up and slips way too quick now so I'm kind've hoping when I have to do the clutch I will just get the damned thing rebuilt by Jack's up in CO. I was so stoked to finally have someone local that does serious work on these guys, and for a better price than elsewhere, only to find that I regret it entirely. GRRRRRR

Drive it til it breaks! :P

Atrosity
11-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Hahah yeah marc, they are so close to us and I feel like I got ripped off, to be honest it drives fine it's just my damn second gear just whines like a super charger. This boat we are in is effin sinking! ARgh!

Alan92RTTT
11-24-2010, 07:25 PM
If its just a case of not sealed well, open it and reseal it. With help you could probably do it in a weekend without working hard.

MADMarc
11-25-2010, 12:50 AM
I thought about resealing it as well but how does yours shift? I know that mine shifted smoother (in the gears that had synchros in my old trans) before doing the swap to the new kormex trans but now I have to deal with the leaking and it doesn't shift smooth. Even when I brought this up to the guy at Kormex he said to give it a little time and it might smooth out once it breaks in...wrrrooooonnnggg. That's why I dont think I want to just reseal it. I would much rather have it gone through entirely by Jack's to try and get a smoother feel again.

Atrosity
11-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Mine is kind of notchy when shifting, it really pisses the crap out of me that I spent so much money for this only to get effin screwed over....

If I open this and reseal it, I might as well replace my second gear as that is what is messed up..

EvanH
12-15-2010, 11:58 AM
I had my Kormex trans less than 500 miles and the output shaft seal went. Due to Extreme Motorsports burning down(the ones I had install it while I had other work done), they wouldnt warranty it. This was back in oct of 08. Had the seal replaced once after it started leaking and its leaking again. And yea, the guy I talked to was very rude. I have been contacting Jacks back and forth and he spent the time to write me what would be a 2 page email about his processes and warranty and what he recommended for my power. Personally I am sold when I get home and can take the down time.

Sorry to hear your bad luck. Lol I got taken by LMI too.

My third from second is notchy. Worse than my original trans from first to second.

FeaRpb
12-15-2010, 02:19 PM
I wish Jacks would come to this board and talk and possibly sponsor. They are going to be my shop of choice for my transmission work.

MaxClass
12-19-2010, 08:08 PM
I talked 3 days ago to the people at Kormex about swapping out my 18 spline for a rebuilt 25 and transfer case. They quoted me $1750.

After I read this post I now have reservation about dealing with them so I am interested in a second opinion, so.

All I hear is Jack, Jack, and Jack, but, I don't know Jack or how to get in touch with Jack.

Would someone please post a link to "Jack" so I can say I finally know "Jack"?

By the way, what makes him that much better? If he is I will consider going with him first.

stealthee
12-19-2010, 08:22 PM
www.jackstransmissions.com

And yeah, after the way Frank handled Jay and Jackie's situation I wont ever recommend anyone to take work to Kormex again.

On top of that he stalked my posts after I posted my opinion of the situation trying to find anything wrong he could to discredit me.

MADMarc
12-20-2010, 02:49 PM
I have yet to hear of any problems that arise from getting the transmission rebuilt at Jack's whereas I had a transmission with problems from Kormex, as does Atrosity and maaaany other people have had problems with theirs. They claim that there isn't a problem and things will "work themselves out" rather than confessing and turning out a better product. You can't beat Kormex's prices but, even living twenty minutes away from them, I would still much rather ship my transmission to Colorado to have it worked on up there.

mh3kgt
12-20-2010, 06:24 PM
I have a Kormex rebuilt tranny in my vr4 done back in 06, have a drop of trans fluid on the housing whenever I'm under there, don't think it's a huge leak, but something is still seeping. I just figured it was the xcase output shaft seal leaking or something, still could be, but I'm pretty sure it's the trans itself.

Atrosity
12-20-2010, 08:11 PM
So an update to my transmission when changing out the fluids bboyalan found the most shaving i have ever seen in my life in my kormex transmission. I have never seen bigger chuck then this on a magnetic plug. I don't have a picture on me but I dare someone to find a drain plug with more metal shavings then I do on my transmission. 15k miles and still running with out any grinds really but I feel like I pissed away 3 grand for this bullshit. On top of this we found a hole in my transmission where it looks like a grommet is supposed to be.

My only option now is to drive this until it breaks then ship it to Mr. Jack.

MADMarc
12-21-2010, 01:13 AM
Til it breaks, Eric! Then you'll be happy again :D

mh3kgt
12-21-2010, 11:06 AM
So an update to my transmission when changing out the fluids bboyalan found the most shaving i have ever seen in my life in my kormex transmission. I have never seen bigger chuck then this on a magnetic plug. I don't have a picture on me but I dare someone to find a drain plug with more metal shavings then I do on my transmission. 15k miles and still running with out any grinds really but I feel like I pissed away 3 grand for this bullshit. On top of this we found a hole in my transmission where it looks like a grommet is supposed to be.

My only option now is to drive this until it breaks then ship it to Mr. Jack.

Haha I think you are mistaken my friend...you should have seen how much silvery goop was on my drain plug after only 1k miles with this build. I was horrified. Still no grinding tho...knock on wood

MaxClass
12-21-2010, 10:26 PM
www.jackstransmissions.com

And yeah, after the way Frank handled Jay and Jackie's situation I wont ever recommend anyone to take work to Kormex again.

On top of that he stalked my posts after I posted my opinion of the situation trying to find anything wrong he could to discredit me.

Thanks for the link to Jacks. Went there, read the entire site and gained some valuable knowledge.

This sounds like the kind of people I want to deal with. Not cheap but well worth the price you pay.

Anyone who shops by price alone is some ones prey.

GTO Assassin
12-23-2010, 12:45 AM
I didn't like the way they handled VR4ever when he had an issue with them. I'm pretty sure I won’t be doing business with them.

Exactly. Frank didn't seem to give a rats arse when it was made public and didn't care enough to fix it.

I hear nothing but good things about Jacks T.

Scotty

enigma
12-26-2010, 07:07 AM
My box is 20 years old, I've removed my tranny 3 times in 8 years for different reasons and always found the getrag easy to work on, on all the shafts ends there are only 2 bearings that are mitsy only, the rest can be brought from any good bearing stockist, I've only replaced end case and bell housing bearings and its still smooth shifting on the original sycros, I change the oil once a year and always find a swarf on the drain bung which imo is quite normal for these boxes.
More importantly on re-assembley, is to ensure all the mating surfaces are not damaged and use a good sealer and keep to the torque figures.

SkortchGT
12-27-2010, 02:01 PM

There's a surprise. They have been known to be extremely rude. I had first hand experience of this years ago when I called to order a transfercase from them when I first got my VR4. Glad I didn't order through them. I mentioned it in a thread on 3si a lonnggg time ago and Frank blew up at me and some more people. After that he would like search for my posts and reply to them and just try to prove me wrong on something I was talking about.

Frank at Kormex is an absolute dickhead asshole.

stealthee
12-27-2010, 02:29 PM
There's a surprise. They have been known to be extremely rude. I had first hand experience of this years ago when I called to order a transfercase from them when I first got my VR4. Glad I didn't order through them. I mentioned it in a thread on 3si a lonnggg time ago and Frank blew up at me and some more people. After that he would like search for my posts and reply to them and just try to prove me wrong on something I was talking about.

Frank at Kormex is an absolute dickhead asshole.

As I previously mentioned he did the same thing to me after I commented on his poor handling of Jay and Jackie's transmission.

SkortchGT
12-28-2010, 08:09 AM
As I previously mentioned he did the same thing to me after I commented on his poor handling of Jay and Jackie's transmission.

i didn't catch that, doesn't surprise me, he is such a dick.

I found the original thread on 3si where he blew up at me and some more people for basically no reason: 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center (http://www.3si.org/forum/f13/kormex-discussion-tre-transaxle-rebuilder-great-202912/)

I bought my vr4 in March of 03 and was going to buy a new tcase from Frank about a year later. I called to get some info & he was the biggest dick on the phone. He even complained about people calling and it costing him $0.50 a call back them. What a dumbass.

Atrosity
12-28-2010, 10:37 AM
then why is he in the god damn service business....the guy is an asshole...

mh3kgt
12-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I definately won't be going thru Kormex for my tranny refresh, I'll most likely send it up to CO and have Jack do it.

J-Groove
12-28-2010, 01:47 PM
i didn't catch that, doesn't surprise me, he is such a dick.

I found the original thread on 3si where he blew up at me and some more people for basically no reason: 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center (http://www.3si.org/forum/f13/kormex-discussion-tre-transaxle-rebuilder-great-202912/)

I bought my vr4 in March of 03 and was going to buy a new tcase from Frank about a year later. I called to get some info & he was the biggest dick on the phone. He even complained about people calling and it costing him $0.50 a call back them. What a dumbass.

Wow, I just read that thread!! I didn't see that one back in '04. But WOW!!!

-John

bboyalan
12-28-2010, 11:51 PM
It almost seems that the entire case needs to be re-sealed as mentioned earlier; damn thing has small signs of moisture accumulating all around still. My first thought was the OS seal going out prematurely [more common], but the leak would be more obvious there. I DO have the Mitsubishi silicone sealant here, but it would too much of a hassle with the remaining grinding and notchiness.

The pictures that I took would make many people cry over the $3k pricetag... it was unbelievable!

Atrosity
12-29-2010, 12:20 AM
Alan, post it up here if you can...that pictures makes me cry!!!!! (I just didn't want it posted on socal lol)

bboyalan
12-30-2010, 06:28 AM
These were taken a month and a half ago:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/AzNFLiPBoiPiNoY/3kGT/Eric_92VR4/5dd17180.jpg
Here is the drain plug from the transaxle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/AzNFLiPBoiPiNoY/3kGT/Eric_92VR4/d5eb9950.jpg
Here is the drain plug from the transfer case.

I might have a few more but would have to look further. You get the idea though.

MADMarc
12-30-2010, 12:36 PM
:eek4::eek4::eek4:

Atrosity
12-30-2010, 01:52 PM
yes, this is what came out of my KORMEX TRANSMISSION!

tazman
12-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Might be good to share this with SoCal members, so they can be informed...

Atrosity
12-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Might be good to share this with SoCal members, so they can be informed...

Not needed because that will not do anything to my case and what is done is done. It's the results of paying 3 grand for what has been known as a name brand transmission and having a reputable shop install the transmission and you'd think i'd drive my car away from a shop with a peace of mind......This is why I prefer to deal with alan and his "backyard operations" or do the job myself because I know the job will get taken care of right. :wink:

I don't think you'd understand. :)

MaxClass
12-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Does Kormex even begin to realize what this kind of publicity gets them. They have already lost my business and I was ready to pay $1750 for a rebuilt transmission from them. I wound rather pay twice that to "Jacks" for a far better deal and the peace of mind I would have getting power to the wheels without the worry.

Hang in there guys. I doubt if they will ever sell another one to anyone on this list. Do the initials LMI ring a bell here.

GTO Assassin
12-31-2010, 04:10 AM

Did you or anyone else end up going to TRE?

Scotty

SkortchGT
01-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Did you or anyone else end up going to TRE?

Scotty

I dont know if anyone went to TRE. From what I understand TRE doesn't offer advertised serviced for our trannies anymore. I used Northbend TECH when they were still in business and had a good experience with them, trans shifts great. If i ever need trans work again I will go to Jacks.