PDA

View Full Version : TT Conversion SAFC Setting Help!!!

DrGonzo
11-14-2010, 06:25 PM
So I finally got the 93 TT running but I am having some issues with tuning the SAFC.

After lots of reading on the other forum I was under the impression that when using a TT ecu I should only have to to minor tuning with the SAFC. I am still runnig the N/A 10:1 pistons so I figured it would be running a little rich. After letting it idle for a bit I noticed it was running really lean at idle. So I turned up the low correction to get it level off on the WB. Right now I am sitting at almost +30% correction at the 1000 rpm mark just to get the AF to 14.5...WTF! Everything else is still zerod out as I need to get the idle adjusted. Throttle settings are at 20% low and 80% high.... I am just starting to learn how to tune this thing in so please be nice.

The car is for the most part stock except for a Walbro fuel pump. Stock turbos and injectors!

What am I doing wrong here??? Any Suggestions???

green-lantern
11-14-2010, 06:45 PM
I assume you have TT injectors and the resistors wired in correctly. What AF are you shooting for? I think 15.5 is about right for idle.

DrGonzo
11-14-2010, 08:13 PM
The whole car is TT. Block came out of my N/A. Using stock harness, resitor pack, injectors, the whole works! Shooting for 15-16 but a 30% correction at idle??? Something can't be right!

green-lantern
11-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Do you have it set on Karmen? You might be adjusting it but it isn't doing doing anything. How long have you ran it? It might have just been warming up. Also your wideband might not be reading right. Where did you mount the sensor?

DrGonzo
11-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Running wastegate boost at the moment till I get things tuned properly. I haven't even turned on the EBC yet.

ETC settings are correct at "Karmen, 6cyl, TPS in the up direction. All signals are coming in correctly and much match logger settings.

I am using a 3sx DP and the WB O2 is mounted on top of the Y vertically.

I can only let the car for a little while as the fans are not coming on "Think it's due to the frame being 93 but the harness,engine,ECU being 91/92" I might need to get a Derale fan controller. I'm doing a comparison on the two cooling system to see what is different.

I also noticed that the front and rear turbo exhaust manifolds are getting extremly hot!! I need to pick up a laser temp gauge to check them as I don't have EGT yet to log exhaust temps. The heat may be due to running to rich!

green-lantern
11-14-2010, 09:27 PM
I am using a 3sx DP and the WB O2 is mounted on top of the Y vertically.

I'm still not sure where that is but it should be about 5 feet from the turbos.

How do you know your manifolds are getting really hot?

I'm almost positive the temp sensors changed in 93. you can probably pick up the sensors for a 91-92 and make the fans work. I think they are in the radiator.

Have you driven the car around?

DrGonzo
11-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Here is the DP I am using. O2 is mounted on the flat spot on the Y collector:

http://www.3sx.com/store/catalog/exhaust-downpipe-3sx-tt-stainless-02-600l.jpg

When I first started the car and had it idling I saw the front manifolds smoking! I though it may be the High Temp painting as the manifolds are coasted flat black. Then I realized that those manifolds were painted when the engine was in the old car and they never smoked before. Just standing over the car I can feel the heat radiating off the manifolds on my face! But then again the engine has not run in about 6-7 months. i notice the more I start and let it run the less it smokes so at this point I am just making assumptions until I get a laser temp gauge.

I just checked the manuals as the 92 and 93 are the same. They use the temp sensors in the radiator not like the later models which use the ECU. I am using a first gen radiator with all of the sensors so I must be missing something somewhere. I have a second set of fans in the front pushing air that are yet to be hooked up so if I can't figure out the issue with the stock fans I just use the Derale and relay off o the stock fans. But that is a completely different issue.

I have yet to drive the car as I want to make sure it is good to go at idle before I try to put it under load. Plus I don't have it registered yet so not like I can go far. I can't even get plates until I pass stupid safety inspection...WTF....LOL

DrGonzo
11-14-2010, 09:50 PM
I checked the AEM WB manual and it says more that 18 inches from the turbos. It is about 36 in from the front bank and 20 from the rear according to my notes so the WB should be good.

green-lantern
11-14-2010, 10:00 PM
I checked the AEM WB manual and it says more that 18 inches from the turbos. It is about 36 in from the front bank and 20 from the rear according to my notes so the WB should be good.

My bad, I had a brain fart on the 5 ft thing. I believe you have it in a good spot.

I wish I was there to help. It's kind of hard to diagnose without being there.

DrGonzo
11-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Can you explain the high/low throttle setting?

I am a little confused on what exactly it is setting!

RealMcCoy
11-14-2010, 11:57 PM
There are two correction factors, As you have yours at 20% and 80%, anything under 20% throttle will use the low throttle correction, anything over 80% throttle will use the high throttle correction, anything in between will be interpolated by AFC somewhere in the middle.

I think your mistake is trying to use the wideband to tune in closed loop. You should only use the wideband to tune open loop operation. In closed loop, you're looking for happy fuel trims(100%)

DrGonzo
11-15-2010, 06:27 AM
There are two correction factors, As you have yours at 20% and 80%, anything under 20% throttle will use the low throttle correction, anything over 80% throttle will use the high throttle correction, anything in between will be interpolated by AFC somewhere in the middle.

I think your mistake is trying to use the wideband to tune in closed loop. You should only use the wideband to tune open loop operation. In closed loop, you're looking for happy fuel trims(100%)

OK Now that makes sense. Thanks!

So how do you determine when you are in closed loop vs open loop? I checked Stealth316 and Jeff states that closed loop is during cranking, warmup, strong acc/dec and heavy load.

Taking it to a shop is out of the question right now. The closest shop I would trust to do this is 3SX and they are 3 hours away. So I have to get at least get a basic tune on the car in order to drive it to 3SX.

Blown3000
06-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Interesting story - so what was the end?