PDA

View Full Version : CB Radios

Patryn
11-13-2010, 11:54 PM
Guess this fits this section. Any of you guys using CB radios in your cars that could recommend a good one, possibly modified for higher wattage. Looking to have something with at least a 20 mile range or more on receive and transmit. From reading it seems that AM is capped by law at 4 watts, but when looking on the internet its easy to find ones that rate up to 100 watts. I'm not knowledgeable on sorting out the junk from the stuff that is good. Any recommendations?

reallyxxxxxxloud
11-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Any higher wattage will just mean your voice will over ride everyone else's but you will not hear anyone further away because they are still using 4 watts. AM isn't used very much here in Australia but UHF is big and is capped at 5watts.

93STLTH
11-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Really? CB radio? I hope you're not gonna mount a giant whip antenna on a 3S. Are you still using a cassette player in your car? Maybe running bias ply tires?

Ok, I'm done. :-)

Patryn
11-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Any higher wattage will just mean your voice will over ride everyone else's but you will not hear anyone further away because they are still using 4 watts. AM isn't used very much here in Australia but UHF is big and is capped at 5watts.

True enough. Still trying to read up on it as much as I can. Just an extra counter-measure to use on interstate driving. Anyone have any pics of a clean install of either CB radio or scanner?

Patryn
11-14-2010, 11:30 PM
And you, since you have nothing to add, why don't you go troll somewhere else. No use for insulting comments since you have not seen my car. I'm not some young kid that can't figure out how to make installs look good with the car. I'm running a 7 inch LCD display in the car and no bias ply tires. Not sure wtf is your problem.

Really? CB radio? I hope you're not gonna mount a giant whip antenna on a 3S. Are you still using a cassette player in your car? Maybe running bias ply tires?

Ok, I'm done. :-)

reallyxxxxxxloud
11-15-2010, 07:14 AM
And you, since you have nothing to add, why don't you go troll somewhere else. No use for insulting comments since you have not seen my car. I'm not some young kid that can't figure out how to make installs look good with the car. I'm running a 7 inch LCD display in the car and no bias ply tires. Not sure wtf is your problem.

hahahahahahaha that was funny. I have a Uniden hand held 5watt UHF clipped to my sun-visor with an external "short" 5" 4db antenna. It does plenty fine. Mind you I'm not going for distance but more for traffic info on interstate.

93STLTH
11-16-2010, 12:40 AM

My problem is I was trying to be funny, but I guess the joke was missed by some people.