PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell if my stock turbos are bad?

Geordon
11-10-2010, 09:03 AM
I left my '92 TT in the shop last week to have some body/paint work done. When I got it back, I swear the turbo boost is non-existent. The crappy stock boost gauge goes from the bottom -7psi to 0psi under hard acceleration in first, and the car seems lame. I am not sure I am hearing the nice "whoosh" noise from the K&N filter during shifting either -- I will listen more closely when I take it out at lunch.

Anything I should check or try out next time on the road?

Thanks,

Geordon

Woz
11-10-2010, 09:45 AM
If you want to check for bad turbos. Check shaft play since stock ones are journal bearing. Take the intake pipe off, stick 2 fingers in the compressor housing and wiggle around to see if you have any play. If your car is blowing more smoke then normal, prolly bad turbo seals. These stock gauges suck that's why I bought an aftermarket one before I even drove my car. You could also pressure test your wastegate solenoids to make sure they are opening up and holding. If they are stuck open, you won't build any boost. Hopefully this can get you started

green-lantern
11-12-2010, 07:56 PM
You might have a boost leak or they might have taken the car for a joy ride. (they might have knocked something loose when working on it)

Check for boost leaks 1st. If you don't have a tester then get one. It's one of the most important tools you can have when owning one of these cars.

Geordon
11-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the ideas. My first thought when I got it back was that they took it out for a ride. The side and rear-view mirrors and both seats were moved. When I took the car back to have the paint repolished, I asked about the mirrors and was told they may have been adjusted to back the car into a stall.

My car is in the shop at the moment (a service station, not the body shop). I was stuck in stop-in-go traffic the other day for 25 minutes to go less than 2 miles down the highway, due to an accident having shut down the highway. When I got to my exit and shifted out of 1st, I heard a loud clunk. Even my 3 year old daughter knew something happened. I just found out the differential went out in the front transaxle, so I am basically a RWD, now. I don't know if this is related at all to not being able to get over 4K RPMs while driving. They haven't been able to source replacement parts, yet to give me an estimate.

I called the service shop back and asked about the turbo. They said they had checked the turbo and seemed fine, but is kind of restricted in what it can do, since the gears are just spinning. I think I am in for a major expense on the transaxle, aren't I?

Mr Faust
11-15-2010, 12:17 AM
If you know any local members who are well versed with working on these cars it might be a good idea to take it to them, or even better, take it to one of the performance shops that actually specialize in the platform, that's only if there's one nearby though unless you don't mind driving.

It certainly sounds like you have a good amount of issues with the car now, it would be best to take it to those with the know how for these cars instead of a shop joe blow takes his Cavalier to.

terrets
11-15-2010, 01:13 AM
They probably did take it for a joy ride. I would go confront them :p