PDA

View Full Version : update on my stalling issue... it was very strange

FlamboyantStealthTT
11-06-2010, 08:56 PM
please read the whole thing i would really appreciate it if anyone can help me figure this out thanks

my friend came over today to help me out. we looked over the intercooler pipes. all vacuum hoses. etc. everythings connected very well. we re-checked all fuses non were blown.

one strange thing though. i told my friend to pull out the number 1 spark plug in the front. to check if its sparking. it does spark normally. and then he put it back in. made sure the wire is connected with the plug tight. the plug wire might have been loose before.

so we proceeded to start up the car. it was like a MIRACLE. the car started and idled for about 5 seconds. that was the longest idle it held for the past month.

but then the car still stalled after 5 seconds. so i un-plugged the mas to see if it would run and stay running. after unplugging it. the car started but it shut off right away. didnt hold idle at all not even a quarter of a second. so we plugged the mas back on and the car would NEVER hold idle again.

it was only that one magical moment the car held idle after pulling the plug out and putting it back in. after unplugging the mas the car never held idle again, it would crank and the motor would start, i also heard sputter sound too, but then the car shut off right away(it behaved like this for a long time now until today that one time it held idle).

is my problem a sparking problem?? also we started the car numerous times its normal for the plugs to be covered in fuel right?

Woz
11-06-2010, 11:20 PM
sounds like the plugging in and out of spark plug wire was just coincidence. id check the idle speed control. it will have in the manual how to check it.

Mike-92RT
11-07-2010, 12:13 AM
its normal to have fuel on the sparkplugs.. obviously it wouldn't be there if the car ran, but it shows that you're getting fuel.

FlamboyantStealthTT
11-07-2010, 08:55 AM
isc valve is brand new, ecu is checked and no leaks, new plenum gasket, new egr pipe gasket, new plugs just put in last weekend.

Woz
11-08-2010, 09:46 PM
well depends on how much fuel is on the plug. There is suppose to be more carbon then fuel if it is burning right. If its wet then the plug is getting fouled out. If it is more black carbon and still smells like gas then it is working properly. Have you swapped the MAF? a vacuum leak isn't going to make it stall unless its huge, it will make the idle jumpy then stall the car right away like yours. I would pull each front plug and place it on the upper plenum and see if they are each getting spark. I'd also unhook the fuel pump relay first so fuel doesn't burst out of the cylinder. Make sure you start the car first to get all fuel out of the system. Have someone turn it over 3-4 times and if they are getting spark, fuel and spark is not your problem. Remember to start with easy things then work more towards more difficult. Never know, it could be something stupid.

Mikes2nd
11-08-2010, 11:33 PM
I would still send out the ecu to be checked, just because it isnt leaking doesnt mean it can't have an issue.

with a 94 you are much better off but still...

Woz
11-08-2010, 11:54 PM
i agree with him. nothing can hurt from sending it out. i would still get easy things checked off personally then just going out and spending money that your guessing might fix it.

Roybatty
11-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Agree with Woz to check with known good MAS. I had a similar Idle issue that I chased for a long time, ended up being MAS. That unplugging of MAS doesn't tell you too much if its DOA. After replacing and refurbising a lot of items; PTU, ECU, ISC, coils, etc, and reading many posts, realized I did not sub out the MAS.

I did not have access to one so purchased one from Emilie@GZP, but really you can get a used one from other members for around 50 bucks.

She turns over so you are getting fuel, air and spark, so it will be something simple.

Woz
11-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Ours car also have the same as an eclipse maf so if you know someone with a turbo'd eclipse that would work too. Our maf's are also combined in with the iat fyi. Def go with easy things before spending money. My car when I was building it randomly stopped starting and I didn't buy anything but traced it to the ecu. I would have spent a lot of money if I was to replace every part after the ecu that helps start