View Full Version : Miss Fire. Need Help

speedy16
11-05-2010, 02:50 PM
so driving home tonight I got a CEL

code:active
22(Crank Angle Sensor)
code stored
44(coil pack) rear pack not firing.

I have a jdm ECU so shouldn't having leaking caps? Is it possible?

Well I changed out coil pack and CAS with no results. Could the wiring to the CAS have an issue some where?

I was driving down the highway and it developed a miss and CEL came on so I pulled over and found out that one coil pack wasn't firing well I started driving and once I got up to speed the CEL went off and everything was fine until I got about 5 minutes from home when it started doing it again.

I drive a 92 TT

speedy16
11-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Come on. No one has any suggestions?

Woz
11-06-2010, 11:14 PM
well just remember order goes like this crank/cam > ecu > ptu > coil packs > plugs. I would make sure you have spark at all plugs. is it just random when driving or is it driving and just idling?

stealthee
11-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Why would a JDM ECU be exempt from having leaky caps? It was built in the same factory with the same parts as a USDM ECU. If you suspect the ECU, pull it and check it.

OhioSpyderman
11-07-2010, 12:37 PM
I agree TOTALLY with the above 3 posts. If you don't own a spark tester, get one, they're < $15.

Removing the ECU takes all of about 10 minutes (I've removed the ones in our cars so many times, I do it in my sleep :) ).

There are very good troubleshooting procedures laid out in the manual for testing coils and PTU's. If you don't have a manual you can find them online at 3SX.com (*thanks Steve!!!!*)

Bob.

speedy16
11-07-2010, 10:47 PM
I was unsure about the ECU. I do have the old ECU that came out of the car I know its bad. So what's a good place to send it to to get repaired? ( heard about AvPro? but I am still unsure of there services?)

It misfire just idling I haven't tried driving it since this has happened. I did get manuals from 3sx the was the first thing I bought after I got the car.

the top coil pack isn't firing at all but the middle and bottom do. When the car is running I tested CEL codes with my data logger (also from 3sx) and while running it gets an active code of 22 CAS and 44 coil pack (stored) I replaced the coil pack and CAS but with used units. So I will check them the next time I have a chance.

Thanks for the help

Woz
11-08-2010, 05:39 PM
remember you have primary and secondary on coil packs.

speedy16
11-09-2010, 11:16 PM
what do you guys recommend for a multi- meter and a good place to get an ECU fixed?

Woz
11-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Well fluke has a pretty damn good multi meter but anything will do for checking. You could go to radio shack and pick one up if you wanted to. I forgot where I got mine rebuilt at. Many people off these forums have gone there. I hope someone can help me with the name. Its a place in florida, charged I think 260, got it back the same week no extra charge. Many good reviews. You can search up on 3si about it. Ill try to find it though

stealthee
11-10-2010, 04:26 PM
You're thinking of AV Pro and I am one of quite a few that refuses to recommend them.

I recommend toddrs93. For what AV Pro does its a comeplete ripoff. Not to mention they don't even have the means to actually test the ECU.

Woz
11-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I bet they don't do as much but I read a lot of good and dealing with my year it was hard to find even a used ecu under 500 so 260 is a lot better and I have had no problems

stealthee
11-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Considering their "rebuild" consists of four 10 cent resistors, you are getting ripped. Also considering they don't have a way to actually test the ECU's then you don't know if its going to be fixed.

I have an extreme hate for them after they didn't fix my ECU in my TSI. Not only was I out the $270, but I had to drop $1000 off the price of the car when I was selling it.

Roybatty
11-10-2010, 05:27 PM
I went with toddrs93, he is a vendor here, Auto Velocity, for ECS and ECU refurbishing. I was happy with it, took a little longer than I expected, but prices seemed reasonable, and I would do business with him again.

I agree with other posts regarding checking your spark. When the PTU is going it will fail occasionally after warmed up.

Also, there is a web link to manuals through 3SX, you do not need to buy them. Someone else has them available for download for free, but I don't have the link readily available.

Woz
11-10-2010, 06:02 PM
i agree, but how much are resistors and caps suppose to cost? they aren't expensive at all. i guess it is hit and miss with them. they fixed my no spark so i can't say i had a bad experience with them. also how do i know that the used ecu im getting won't go in a month. its can go both ways. there is a downside to everything. you can even buy new things that are factory broken so if you bought something from somewhere once would you automatically say no to them?

i bet they don't have some proper equipment to test it in and i knew a little about circuit boards when it first happened, but all you really need is a volt meter to check for any broken connections then resolder new wire in. i changed my caps on mine because they were all leaking, it didn't fix it and i didn't want to ruin mine more when i could pay someone else to do it. also not everything is savable on a circuit board, you take a chance to get it fixed, if it doesnt work then it doesnt work. also even if it is fixed, from my experience with boards, even if they are fixed, it could only be fixed for a month then go again. nothing is guaranteed in this world

speedy16
11-13-2010, 12:59 AM
Well I think the easiest thing for me to do is pull the ecu and have someone around me test it in there car. And then go from there I do have an ecu ready 2 be looked at

stealthee
11-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Wrong.

Yes you DO get a gaurantee when done by a "pro"
Unfortunately when it comes to cars , there aren't many real "pros", just uneducated, unqualified, unskilled wannabes.

Steve

Hah, you're telling me when someone else does the same job and can also offer a guarantee for $100 less that $260 isnt a ripoff? How about when they charge you $260 and they don't even fix it and don't have the means to truely test it? Yeah, thought so.