PDA

View Full Version : Low-risk mods?

j2k4
11-04-2010, 08:13 AM
That's where I'm at, just now - if I hang the 13Gs on it, EBC, and do the necessary fuel mods next year, I'll definitely have a piggyback in there too, but in the meantime, I've decided to keep my eyes open for a set of converted DSM sidemounts (maybe go with oohnoo's?), bigger IC piping, cat-delete DP, etc.

How will the car react, absent the piggyback?

DocWalt
11-04-2010, 10:11 AM
The car will perform a bit better, I'd say. The bigger IC & piping may hurt spool time (you have to pressurize a bit more volume) but it will help flow immensely, especially over the stock rubber crap. You'd also get the benefit of a much cooler charge temp, so less heatsoak, and less risk of knock from high charge temps. The DP will help significantly. Even with a shorty DP (non cat-delete, but no pre-cats) I picked up a few hundred RPM of spool.

j2k4
11-04-2010, 12:34 PM
The car will perform a bit better, I'd say. The bigger IC & piping may hurt spool time (you have to pressurize a bit more volume) but it will help flow immensely, especially over the stock rubber crap. You'd also get the benefit of a much cooler charge temp, so less heatsoak, and less risk of knock from high charge temps. The DP will help significantly. Even with a shorty DP (non cat-delete, but no pre-cats) I picked up a few hundred RPM of spool.

About what I thought, especially re: spool, but is there any risk to the engine I haven't picked up on?

I've been reading everything I can find, but as finicky as this platform is...

DocWalt
11-04-2010, 05:21 PM
I never had any issues, 3s's don't seem to care too much until you start bumping the boost up.

deathsled
11-05-2010, 07:02 PM
I have a very similar setup on my VR4 actually. 13Gs, downpipe with all cats gutted, dsm sidemounts with stock IC piping, and no piggy back. It's all stock fuel control and injectors. I also have some other stuff like cam gears, 10:1 compression, and exhaust, but that can't amount for TOO much more power right? ;) My car is pretty quick. I don't even have any boost control hooked up, its just running the wastegate pressure, but it creeps up to 11psi by redline. It's good for 300+awhp this way, which is usually what a BPU TT running 15psi usually puts down.

j2k4
11-05-2010, 08:25 PM
I have a very similar setup on my VR4 actually. 13Gs, downpipe with all cats gutted, dsm sidemounts with stock IC piping, and no piggy back. It's all stock fuel control and injectors. I also have some other stuff like cam gears, 10:1 compression, and exhaust, but that can't amount for TOO much more power right? ;) My car is pretty quick. I don't even have any boost control hooked up, its just running the wastegate pressure, but it creeps up to 11psi by redline. It's good for 300+awhp this way, which is usually what a BPU TT running 15psi usually puts down.

Ah.

That's a step or two ahead of me - good!

I may have a few more questions for you...

Granny
11-05-2010, 08:38 PM
When you said Low-risk mod I was going to suggest a wax job...on the car. :dontknow2:

j2k4
11-05-2010, 09:02 PM
When you said Low-risk mod I was going to suggest a wax job...on the car. :dontknow2:

Low blow, Granny.

I like those. ;)