PDA

View Full Version : Help! Engine won't start.

AgentOblivious
10-30-2010, 11:06 PM
God I feel like a noob: was driving along tuesday (this part possibly unrelated), all of a sudden I get real bad squeaking from what I think is the accessory belts. I get it home park it. Later on I go to figure out what's going on; the belts look fine, and it runs like normal. Day after, I go to drive to work, start up my car, as soon as it starts its idling like crap. Now it just won't start at all.

It cranks fine, all the belts are fine and no noise,
Checked the front spark plugs and they're fine, haven't checked for spark yet.
Gas is getting to the engine, you can smell it.
No CEL.

It will not fire at all, any ideas? Its a 94 stealth tt btw.

blindmist
10-31-2010, 06:09 AM
God I feel like a noob: was driving along tuesday (this part possibly unrelated), all of a sudden I get real bad squeaking from what I think is the accessory belts. I get it home park it. Later on I go to figure out what's going on; the belts look fine, and it runs like normal. Day after, I go to drive to work, start up my car, as soon as it starts its idling like crap. Now it just won't start at all.

It cranks fine, all the belts are fine and no noise,
Checked the front spark plugs and they're fine, haven't checked for spark yet.
Gas is getting to the engine, you can smell it.
No CEL.

It will not fire at all, any ideas? Its a 94 stealth tt btw.

Gotta check for spark. The other night, I had just got back from driving it for a while, went right back out to start it and it wouldn't fire. I discovered that the one wire to the capacitor? on the coilpack on the front was unplugged.

AgentOblivious
10-31-2010, 07:40 AM
Gotta check for spark. The other night, I had just got back from driving it for a while, went right back out to start it and it wouldn't fire. I discovered that the one wire to the capacitor? on the coilpack on the front was unplugged.

I checked the spark; its fine. Also there's a clicking sound coming from around the throttle body.

a2j
10-31-2010, 11:48 AM
MAS plugged in? I still remember the first time my MAS harness got loose....

AgentOblivious
10-31-2010, 06:39 PM
MAS plugged in? I still remember the first time my MAS harness got loose....

Its plugged in; I tried it unplugged and it didn't work either.

OhioSpyderman
11-01-2010, 10:05 AM
If it was me, the first thing I would do is check the mechanical timing....

Bob.

amicus
11-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Timing? Timing Belt jump? Loose Tensioner? TPS or CAS bad? MPI fuse under dash?

green-lantern
11-01-2010, 11:25 AM
The squeal might have been the water pump locking up. Definitely check timing. The ticking sound could be a valve or maybe the idle servo.

AgentOblivious
11-01-2010, 03:27 PM
First thing I did was check the timing belt; its pristine and tight.

Haven't had a chance to check the sensors yet.

As for the squeal, if the water pump seized up, would it start up later no problem and run fine? When I went to find out what the squealing was (before engine problems) it started up fine, idled fine and no overheating.

OhioSpyderman
11-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Did you check the timing marks?

Bob. :)

OhioSpyderman
11-01-2010, 04:04 PM
A couple more questions:

Mileage?
60K service(s) done?
Last performed work on car?

Bob.

AgentOblivious
11-01-2010, 10:26 PM
mileage is 175 000 km (about 108 000 miles). Last work that was done was to replace the front rotors and pads all around, other than that, since I've had it (2 years now) I've installed a 3sx downpipe and a new cat, a K&N filter and a new IAC valve (black not brown). I don't know if or when the 60k was done, it would have been done by the previous owner.

*Edit* I'm pretty sure the 60K was done; I had a mechanic in town check it out for me as soon as I got it to make sure everything was in tip-top shape.

AgentOblivious
11-05-2010, 01:35 AM
Gah this is annoying. I got it towed to my mechanic, they charge the battery and it starts fine, runs fine, no problems. They can't repeat the problem I had.

This is after me, my dad, my next door neighbor and the tow truck driver all tried to start it, to no avail. It now works fine. Thanks everyone who offered advice.