PDA

View Full Version : 6g74 route

jessecain1
10-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Hey guys im going the 6g74 route after my car threw time going down I-5.. i've been reading quite a few posts here and on other sites about the swap. The question im getting to is about the ebay listings. They all appear to be the drop in, but im a little sketchy buying from ebay, ive never bought anything for any one of my cars off there and for good cause. Im just looking to get some input from anybody that has bought off there or knows someone that has. Im i just being pernoid or???

x2percentmilk
10-28-2010, 08:57 PM
They all come from chop shops so drop in really isnt what it seems, if you notice hoses and wires are literally cut in half and left attached to save time.
As far as quality, from what I've heard they are hit and miss. Its up to you if you want to take that chance. Id try searching local listings, junk yards, or forum classifieds first.

Again im not saying people dont have success buying ebay motors, but I would probably pass unless I knew I was going to rebuild it anyway.

Also, the mitsubishi japanese debonair engine and/or one that 100% came out of a 3000gt is the only one that drops in without modification.

TUFFTR
10-28-2010, 11:43 PM
They all come from chop shops so drop in really isnt what it seems, if you notice hoses and wires are literally cut in half and left attached to save time.
As far as quality, from what I've heard they are hit and miss. Its up to you if you want to take that chance. Id try searching local listings, junk yards, or forum classifieds first.

Again im not saying people dont have success buying ebay motors, but I would probably pass unless I knew I was going to rebuild it anyway.

Also, the mitsubishi japanese debonair engine and/or one that 100% came out of a 3000gt is the only one that drops in without modification.

That's the selling point, if it's not from either one of these, do not bother.

jessecain1
10-29-2010, 07:52 PM
well from what i understand the way you tell if it is a jdm all the accesories will be on the same side as are cars, and it appears all the ebay ones are correct. So when they claim to be under 40,xxx miles how do you tell. sorry if im sounding really newbish, im just trying to get a better understanding before i dump $1500 or so dollars on a motor.

like this onehttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Mitsubishi-6G74-3000GT-3-5L-DOHC-Montero-Stealth-72-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c0900c1dQQitemZ11060 4848157QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

i also noticed they where all listed as montero's, but have heard that they may actually be out of pajero's/ diamente's

enollava
10-29-2010, 08:54 PM
My friend purchased one of those 3.5 engines, and for the month or two that it ran it was a hell of a lot of fun. But then it spun a bearing. He always says if he ever does another one of those engines, he will first rebuild it before putting it in. The 3.5 that swaps into our cars is out of a Debonair. They come from cars that were made in the 90's. More than likely the engine has sat for a long while, and when they sit without being turned over, and take a trip across an ocean of salt water, I can't imagine they fare well. Source the parts you need for the rebuild, and buy one. Thats what I would do. Then you know you got a good engine as long as your skills as an engine builder are good.

TUFFTR
10-30-2010, 12:14 AM
My friend purchased one of those 3.5 engines, and for the month or two that it ran it was a hell of a lot of fun. But then it spun a bearing. He always says if he ever does another one of those engines, he will first rebuild it before putting it in. The 3.5 that swaps into our cars is out of a Debonair. They come from cars that were made in the 90's. More than likely the engine has sat for a long while, and when they sit without being turned over, and take a trip across an ocean of salt water, I can't imagine they fare well. Source the parts you need for the rebuild, and buy one. Thats what I would do. Then you know you got a good engine as long as your skills as an engine builder are good.

Yep, I was lucky with mine. Sat on a tyre for over 3 years. I've now done about 8000k's on it and it's been sweet as. Seen 7000RPM many many times!
They have a whole whack of torque in these!

whitedragon
11-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Wow, where to start. First of all, this page by John Monnin (Wrenchmonkey) goes through the entire process in detail:

http://www.wrenchmonkey.com/Webpages/6G74swap.html

Go here first, read and profit. This is not a direct swap by any means, but it really isn't all that complicated provided you got all the accessories off your 3.5L engine and kept the stuff off your 3.0L as well. There will be some amount of swapping, grinding and cutting to make it all work.

Xwire did this conversion in my 98SL in 2006, and the car still runs as strong as ever. If you take your time, source the correct parts, and don't get crazy, you should have a very strong car, especially if you're only staying NA.

If you're going turbo, it's a different story entirely, and will require another sizeable investment in internal parts, turbos, fuel and engine management/tuning.

MR2
11-01-2010, 06:46 PM
I posted a thread about all this a while back...

I got a 6g74 block for $200 USD...I'm doing a full rebuild/bore anyway so it's overall condition isn't a huge problem

TUFFTR
11-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Wow, where to start. First of all, this page by John Monnin (Wrenchmonkey) goes through the entire process in detail:

http://www.wrenchmonkey.com/Webpages/6G74swap.html

Go here first, read and profit. This is not a direct swap by any means, but it really isn't all that complicated provided you got all the accessories off your 3.5L engine and kept the stuff off your 3.0L as well. There will be some amount of swapping, grinding and cutting to make it all work.

Xwire did this conversion in my 98SL in 2006, and the car still runs as strong as ever. If you take your time, source the correct parts, and don't get crazy, you should have a very strong car, especially if you're only staying NA.

If you're going turbo, it's a different story entirely, and will require another sizeable investment in internal parts, turbos, fuel and engine management/tuning.

If you use a Debonair 3.5L in a FWD 3000GT N/A, then yes, its a 100% direct swap. Old engine out, new engine bolts in (provided like you said you have everything to it!) and from there it should even run no worries on the 3L ECU.

jessecain1
11-02-2010, 03:02 PM
im still looking for a good source for a complete engine with all the acc. any idea's, who have some of you used in the past?

n2nsanity
12-01-2010, 04:26 AM
i got mine from these guys
http://myworld.ebay.com/japaneseengineimport/
was $1100 shipped and it arrived in 3 days
it came with ac, alternator, starter and even an atx, lol

i haven't put it in yet, so i can't say how good it is, but it looks in great shape from the outside

MR2
12-01-2010, 04:53 AM
ahhh nice one man

jessecain1
12-03-2010, 11:38 AM
hey guys just wanted to say my engine came in yesterday. Im going to try to make this thread a step by step process for my conversion. wont be going in till mid January thou, seeing as that's when i can get accesses to my tech schools shop.

Amphiron
02-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Hows the swap going?

jessecain1
02-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Hows the swap going?

well i finished it, and i gotta say im loving life right now. a 74 with a few mods has some balls to it compared to the 72. oh and you gotta love the torque it defiantly puts you back in your seat. on a side note i decided not to do a write up because literally you drop it in add a spacer to the downpipe and go.

n2nsanity
02-08-2011, 01:31 AM
well i finished it, and i gotta say im loving life right now. a 74 with a few mods has some balls to it compared to the 72. oh and you gotta love the torque it defiantly puts you back in your seat. on a side note i decided not to do a write up because literally you drop it in add a spacer to the downpipe and go.

glad to hear it went well. what upgrades and maintenance did you do first?
my 3.5 is still sitting :(
finally cleared out room in the garage, but not done collecting all my parts yet
i'm unsure about the headers. i want to get obx headers and wonder if maybe some montero or diamante headers might work without having to use spacers

what i have so far:
60k kit
poly motor mounts
tt fuel pump

what i still need/want:
headers
hi flow cat
lightweight flywheel
new clutch set
underdrive pulley
fuel pump rewire kit

i'm hoping to do all maintenance and upgrades before dropping it in. i don't plan on taking it out for a while.
i'm also doing an mtx conversion at the same time, lol, so i've got my work cut out for me
already have everything i could possibly need for that swap

BaadVR4
02-08-2011, 08:43 AM
I have forged 4340 H-beam rods available for the 6g74 engine for anyone wanting to upgrade the internals.

jessecain1
02-08-2011, 11:22 AM
ya just check out my sig...Nothing to major just the usual. however sometime this year i would love to pick up some 3sx cam gears and cams, i feel they'd really give the engine something special. hey man good job on not just rushing into this and throwing it on the car without doing the 60k/120k. the stock fuel system i found ran pretty well with the 74 but if you have the tt pump i say go for it cant hurt right :D.....Your gonna love it when your done!!

TUFFTR
02-08-2011, 08:06 PM
mine NEEDED another fuel pump, although i went SOHC 12v > DOHC 24v so the SOHC pump might of been alot weaker. (ran out of puff in the 130kw region and needed another one to go 140kw's++)
I have the cam gears on and besides cams, which are going in soon, are a fantastic modification to do.
Make sure you 100% do the 60k.

Amphiron
02-08-2011, 08:32 PM

Can't wait to do this and the shift kit.

IPD
02-08-2011, 09:13 PM
subscribed. amphiron, are you running a f4a33 or f5m51?

Emilie@GZP
02-09-2011, 11:24 PM

for the love of God, can you just call them an automatic or a manual trans?

Emilie@GZP
02-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Can't wait to do this and the shift kit.

I guess you didn't read his post? :dontknow:

MR2
02-09-2011, 11:32 PM
for the love of God, can you just call them an automatic or a manual trans?

It's IPD.

Hans@GZP
02-09-2011, 11:36 PM
It's IPD.

Impotent Poor Dude? LOL j/k :)

IPD
02-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Impotent Poor Dude? LOL j/k :)

yes, that's me. at least after this new build is done. guaranteed to run worse than stock AND have a searing hole in my pocketbook to boot. :(

Hans@GZP
02-09-2011, 11:44 PM
yes, that's me. at least after this new build is done. guaranteed to run worse than stock AND have a searing hole in my pocketbook to boot. :(

ah, the pocketbook explains it. I could understand a european shoulder bag... but a pocketbook just explains so much more :p

IPD
02-09-2011, 11:47 PM
my man purse is insulted.

Amphiron
02-10-2011, 06:38 PM

f4a33

IPD
02-10-2011, 08:35 PM
fwiw, english racing seems to be one of the best shops i've ran across so far.

Amphiron
02-11-2011, 06:50 PM
fwiw, english racing seems to be one of the best shops i've ran across so far.

i forgot where i was gonna get the shift kit from but they make alot of dsm stuff as well and its only 100 bucks

IPD
02-11-2011, 08:01 PM
the translab TL-175 shift kit for the f4a33/w4a33 is ~$100 (a bit less on IPT). it's the only shift kit i'm aware of, and the only one worth a crap.

Precision Industries seems to make the best torque converters (billet, free re-stall, custom specs, etc).

still undecided on clutch-packs. and everyone i've talked to thus far seems to think that my center differential will blow up eventually; unless i weld it.

...unfortunately, i don't think i'll be able to squeeze transmission work into this build--there's just no room in the budget. looks like i'll be babying the throttle for the next year.

DrkZide
02-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Make sure you 100% do the 60k.

I'm lost as to where to get the 60K parts for the 74. Timing belt must be bigger right? Are the rest of the parts the same? Do the USDM Montero parts transfer over?

jessecain1
02-11-2011, 11:01 PM
the block has a serial number on it. from there take it your dealer they will give you part numbers. that way you can be 100% sure your getting what you want.

DrkZide
02-11-2011, 11:27 PM
the block has a serial number on it. from there take it your dealer they will give you part numbers. that way you can be 100% sure your getting what you want.

Deja vu ROFL

n2nsanity
02-12-2011, 02:20 AM
I'm lost as to where to get the 60K parts for the 74. Timing belt must be bigger right? Are the rest of the parts the same? Do the USDM Montero parts transfer over?

from what i keep hearing, the 60k and 120k parts are the same except for the timing belt which should be from a 94-96 dohc 3.5 montero
oil pump, water pump, pulleys, tensioner are supposively all the same
thermostat housing and throttle body from a 72 need to be moved over to the 74
and add spacers for the downpipe (2cm?)
this is considering you have a complete 3.5 with all the accessories still on it. otherwise you will need some different brackets
but from what i've seen so far, the actual accessories seem to be the same too. ac, alternator, power steering

TUFFTR
02-12-2011, 04:35 AM
from what i keep hearing, the 60k and 120k parts are the same except for the timing belt which should be from a 94-96 dohc 3.5 montero
oil pump, water pump, pulleys, tensioner are supposively all the same
thermostat housing and throttle body from a 72 need to be moved over to the 74
and add spacers for the downpipe (2cm?)
this is considering you have a complete 3.5 with all the accessories still on it. otherwise you will need some different brackets
but from what i've seen so far, the actual accessories seem to be the same too. ac, alternator, power steering

Just to confirm, Water pump needs to be from a 3.5L DOHC as the V is bgger, due to the heads being pushed further apart.
TB, Well In Australia even our SOHC 12v's had the 60mm TB so no need to if your in Australia, but yeah otherwise use a TT or 3.5L DOHC TB (60mm)

Finding those 2 brackets is the worlds tougest job. I would get a JDM block without a doubt. I would not bother using the RWD version. Wayyyyy too much hassle

TUFFTR
02-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Was 99% sure the WP didnt fit. I'm gonna cross check part numbers on ASA when I get home.
Also, how easy is it to "mod" the brackets.

TUFFTR
02-12-2011, 06:34 PM

Timing belt is pretty much besides WP (although Ive just been told otherwise Ill double check) for the 60K. everything else is the same.
Remember the motor is EXACTLY the same, just a bit bigger. so any parts that need to stretch either between the heads or from top to bottom are 3.5L specific.
USDM montero parts PROBABLY but I have never worked on one, so I wouldnt be able to say. At a rough guess things like the rocker covers and crank pulley if that..

Lancelot_GT
02-13-2011, 01:24 PM
The comments about power are making me want to do the swap to my car. Where's the best place to go for the direct swap engines?

Lancelot_GT
02-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Also, has anyone ever considered installing one of the 6G74 GDI engines into one of our cars? Would it work?

MR2
02-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Probably Ray would be a good person to approach to get you someone to make a crate engine. and no-one has gone GDI yet...as it needs a crazy computer to control the timing & Fuel system (quite different from a normal computer I keep getting told)

IPD
02-13-2011, 04:20 PM
the problem with going GDI or MIVEC (which are both great technologies) is that you encounter diminishing returns. you're adding considerably to the complexity of the motor while gaining relatively little in return. it's kind of like the supercharger vs. turbocharger argument for our platform. sure, superchargers have potential; but the support is already there for turbochargers. that's why RIPPmods doesn't service our platform any longer. (although, personally, i think he could have gone further if he'd offered twin-screw impellers, not centrifuge ones).

a stock motor on td04's can put out > 500whp. a stroker on 16g's can dyno whp numbers which SHIT on the chp numbers that a c6 zr1 makes--ON PUMP GAS!

it's not a question of feasibility, it's a question of worth, imho. you can make ANYTHING work if you have the time, talent and dedication to do it. the reason you won't see it is the same reason you don't see 3/s owners with penske suspension setups.

Lancelot_GT
02-13-2011, 06:41 PM
I just did a little bit of research about the engine and you're right about the complications. I didn't realize it was operated with a fly-by-wire throttle system as well. Well scratch that idea. 6G74 DOHC for me!

Amphiron
02-14-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm getting so damn confused with all this info. So If one were to get a 6g74 DEBONAIR jdm engine it is a direct drop in with no changes needed?

TUFFTR
02-15-2011, 12:56 AM
I'm getting so damn confused with all this info. So If one were to get a 6g74 DEBONAIR jdm engine it is a direct drop in with no changes needed?

Correct, It's all on John monnins website in plain english.
the ONLY...........ONLY drop in, FWD orientated 6G74 is from a JDM Debonair.
6G74 DOHC from a Pajero/montero can fit but without a minor parts collection.

If putting the FWD Debonair engine into an AWD 3-4mm has to be shaved off a small part of the block, as well as modding the sump.
Again, all listed on john monnins website.

n2nsanity
02-15-2011, 01:29 AM
if the engine comes complete with all the accessories, i think you only need the thottlebody and thermostat housing from a 6g72, and add spacers for the downpipe

Spyder
02-17-2011, 09:18 AM
So where did you get the engine??

jessecain1
03-03-2011, 12:24 AM
So where did you get the engine??

they are on ebay all day long.... most will say they are out of a montero but in realitly are out of a debonair, they just are getting the two confused. i promise if you get one you will have a shit grin for the first 6 months you drive it lol :D:D

n2nsanity
03-03-2011, 12:30 AM
i think he meant which seller

mine was from japaneseimportengine
i was very pleased, got to my house in 2 days via private carrier
it came with everything, even the tranny still attached, lol

jessecain1
03-03-2011, 12:53 AM
japaneseengineimport, is where i got mine arrived in great shape.

DrkZide
03-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Is that an ebay store? I can't find it. I was going to go with JDM Engine Depot but I've heard some wishy washy stuff.

n2nsanity
03-03-2011, 05:00 PM
lol, i mixed the words up
looks like we both got ours from the same place

eBay My World - japaneseengineimport (http://myworld.ebay.com/japaneseengineimport)

jessecain1
03-03-2011, 09:53 PM
lol, i mixed the words up
looks like we both got ours from the same place

eBay My World - japaneseengineimport (http://myworld.ebay.com/japaneseengineimport)

and they both came in good shape too... i would defiently recomend them

DJ_X_Factor
03-18-2011, 03:56 PM
I just bought my 3.5 today from JDMEngine Depot...they've got 100% positive feedback, they were awesome on the phone, and they just shipped my engine out same day! I should get it by Tuesday, so I'll update on how the engine looks when it gets here. I can't wait to drop it in the Stealth!!

IPD
03-18-2011, 04:04 PM
I just bought my 3.5 today from JDMEngine Depot...they've got 100% positive feedback, they were awesome on the phone, and they just shipped my engine out same day! I should get it by Tuesday, so I'll update on how the engine looks when it gets here. I can't wait to drop it in the Stealth!!

same guys i bought my w4a33 from. i would buy from them again. i just wish they could get another w4a33 with a driveshaft nipple....

Lancelot_GT
03-18-2011, 05:00 PM

Great info right here! Let us know how it goes, best of luck to you and I hope you have a hassle free install.

n2nsanity
03-18-2011, 09:26 PM

awesome!
u too? lol
soon there won't be any left
mine's almost done :)
trying to work out some wiring issues. i have 2 cars and 3 engines to reference and theyre all a lil bit different
i think it should run ok as is, but i at least want to replace the melted o2 connectors

jessecain1
03-18-2011, 10:22 PM
well im glade it seems the 6g74 has finnaly taken off. We are even getting some aftermarket support a little birdie told me ;)

p.s imprefect darkness you will be one happy guy once you finish the swap. scouts honor

n2nsanity
03-19-2011, 02:51 PM
can someone please give me some more info on the exhaust spacers?
i've been to advance, autozone, napa, carquest and a shop, and somehow noone knows what i'm talking about when i say exhaust spacers
i guess i need to try an exhaust shop, but none open today

IPD
03-19-2011, 05:08 PM
i'd say...talk to chatz at ssm (sponsor page). he should be able to help you out. he actually tailors his td05 kits based on use for a 74 or 72 block; so i'm sure he knows what's up--and can probably sell you what you need.

TUFFTR
03-19-2011, 06:21 PM
can someone please give me some more info on the exhaust spacers?
i've been to advance, autozone, napa, carquest and a shop, and somehow noone knows what i'm talking about when i say exhaust spacers
i guess i need to try an exhaust shop, but none open today

Man I know your keen but just wait till tomorrow and head down to an exhaust shop where they should have a whole rack of the things. Im in another country obviously but I don't believe ive seen them on the shelf at auto parts stores before :(

n2nsanity
03-21-2011, 06:20 AM
i ended up not needing them, lol
not sure if its because mine came with exhaust manifolds, but the stock downpipe bolted right up
its a little close to the oil pan towards the front, but doesn't seem like it will be an issue

also, i've got a new downpipe on the way and if it doesn't have more clearance than the stock one, i'm going to get it extended a little bit
either that or add an oil cooler
or maybe both :)

TUFFTR
03-21-2011, 06:28 AM
Wtf, awesome! I used 3L exhaust manifolds....but maybe 3.5L exhaust manifolds are a tiny bit longer? Well either way, great work! almost done :D

DJ_X_Factor
03-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Wtf, awesome! I used 3L exhaust manifolds....but maybe 3.5L exhaust manifolds are a tiny bit longer? Well either way, great work! almost done :D

I'm hoping the 3.5L manifolds are indeed a little longer! I'll definitely test the theory as my engine is coming with the headers attached!

n2nsanity
03-21-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm hoping the 3.5L manifolds are indeed a little longer! I'll definitely test the theory as my engine is coming with the headers attached!

i tried measuring them and they seemed like the same size to me
people keep saying they had to add spacers, but noones really explaining why
is it because of clearance from the oil pan?
does it not fit at all? does it just rub a little bit?
is it because of the angle of the manifolds?
is it because the exhaust being so close to the oil pan, it heats up the oil too much?

mine is close, at the front edge of the oil pan, but doesn't touch it at all
my only concern is it heating up the oil

when's yours coming?

jessecain1
03-21-2011, 11:22 PM
i added my spacer due to it just and i mean just touching the oil pan. i guess i could have got away with it but i didnt want my exhaust rattling against it.

DJ_X_Factor
03-22-2011, 01:28 PM
i tried measuring them and they seemed like the same size to me
people keep saying they had to add spacers, but noones really explaining why
is it because of clearance from the oil pan?
does it not fit at all? does it just rub a little bit?
is it because of the angle of the manifolds?
is it because the exhaust being so close to the oil pan, it heats up the oil too much?

mine is close, at the front edge of the oil pan, but doesn't touch it at all
my only concern is it heating up the oil

when's yours coming?

I guess I'll have to evaluate how close it is when I get it installed...its not like the spacers can't be added after the initial install.

Just talked to the shipping company this morning, they called and set up a delivery between 12-4pm tomorrow...I can't wait!!

DJ_X_Factor
03-24-2011, 07:45 AM
I guess I'll have to evaluate how close it is when I get it installed...its not like the spacers can't be added after the initial install.

Just talked to the shipping company this morning, they called and set up a delivery between 12-4pm tomorrow...I can't wait!!

Pulled my 3L last night, getting ready to give the engine bay a makeover (I got some top-secret plans muahaha). The 3.5L is gorgeous, I can't get over how clean it is! I would DEFINITELY recommend JDM Engine Depot to anyone looking for engines!

For your viewing pleasure, a few quick pics I snapped while taking the 3L out last night...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/BlackVenger97/Stealth/Stealth%20Version%203/IMG-20110323-00141.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/BlackVenger97/Stealth/Stealth%20Version%203/IMG-20110323-00140.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/BlackVenger97/Stealth/Stealth%20Version%203/IMG-20110323-00143-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/BlackVenger97/Stealth/Stealth%20Version%203/IMG-20110323-00142-1.jpg

jessecain1
03-24-2011, 01:48 PM
hey guys just wanted to update a little bit with my progress. i got nearly 75% of what i want squared away with the car. right now i have a cold air box, fpr and megan springs waiting to go on the car. after that i will be dropping in a hotwired supra pump, new fuel rails, and a new throtle body... on a bit of a sad note the ohhnoo ss loop i bought for the car does not fit on the 74 :(. any how here are some pictures of how she sits for now...

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff113/jessecain1/034.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff113/jessecain1/imagejpeg_2_9.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff113/jessecain1/imagejpeg_2_7.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff113/jessecain1/imagejpeg_2_5.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff113/jessecain1/imagejpeg_2_10.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff113/jessecain1/imagejpeg_2_8.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff113/jessecain1/imagejpeg_2_4.jpg

n2nsanity
03-24-2011, 01:50 PM
nice and shiny :)
no problems with the hood and the 3.5 plenum?
and, you have a strut bar? wow
good job man

n2nsanity
03-24-2011, 02:00 PM
dj_x, before anything else, check out all your connectors, particularly the 1 closest to the throttlebody on the 3 connector clip mounted on the plenum
i bet your 3.5 has a 2pin clip and your 3.0 has 3pin clip
this 3 wire harness connects to the ps pump, oil pressure, knock sensor
you can switch this along with the oil and knock sensors, but its much easier with both engines out of the car
as long as your car is a fed spec 93, you shouldn't run into any issues
if its a 91 or 92, you're going to have to do some rewiring, unless you move the cas over to the 3.5, which should work
i've seen a 92 with a 93+ engine, you can't tell a difference unless they leave the disconnected cam/crank sensors on
i'd also compare the rear plenum brackets, if they're not the same size, i'd swap those out too
mine didn't line up and bolting them in caused the plenum to leak
you might also be able to bend them in to shape first
just do all these things with the engine out, will save you lots of time

looking good so far :)

i'll actually be down your way this weekend, but doubt i'd be able to stop by

jessecain1
03-24-2011, 02:05 PM
nice and shiny :)
no problems with the hood and the 3.5 plenum?
and, you have a strut bar? wow
good job man

nope perfect fit. only thing that concerns me is the strut bar is less then a 1/8th of an inch from hitting the plenum... if i didnt have solid mounts i would not have it on the car.

TUFFTR
03-24-2011, 09:20 PM
I have a custom made downpipe which actually did hit, so for me I NEEDED the exhaust spacers so it fitted. Now there is good clearance between the pipe and sump which makes me feel a little better knowing.
Tops props to all you guys doing the conversions, they look amazing!
And yeah the ohhnoo adaptor wont fit, i ran into the same problem. if you need a spare, 3.5L SOHC Diamante's have the same fuel rail loop. So you could always ask ohhnoo to use one of those to make one. However I still think the money is better put towards real modifications (no disrespect to ohhnoo) but after spending $50 here and $50 there on little bits and bobs you realize you could got a set of cams in the end :|

IPD
03-24-2011, 09:45 PM
dude. fuck the rail loop. run parallel feed lines.

jessecain1
03-25-2011, 12:40 AM
I have a custom made downpipe which actually did hit, so for me I NEEDED the exhaust spacers so it fitted. Now there is good clearance between the pipe and sump which makes me feel a little better knowing.
Tops props to all you guys doing the conversions, they look amazing!
And yeah the ohhnoo adaptor wont fit, i ran into the same problem. if you need a spare, 3.5L SOHC Diamante's have the same fuel rail loop. So you could always ask ohhnoo to use one of those to make one. However I still think the money is better put towards real modifications (no disrespect to ohhnoo) but after spending $50 here and $50 there on little bits and bobs you realize you could got a set of cams in the end :|

ya but the chicks dont care about how fast it is they just care about the bling lol..... no i know what your saying for the price i pay'd for all my look good mods i could have had a set of nice cams and gears and that 70mm throttle body that you have that ive been wanting oh so badly ;)

TUFFTR
03-26-2011, 02:17 AM
heheheh. yeah the TB is fucking sweet...I think he sold out of them too :( if only my mrs knew what VR4 calipers were then maybe she'd be impressed by them. I know if I was a chick I'd be impressed by em. Fuck those VR4 brakes are sweet. <3

ANYWAY. Carry on lads.
Can we as for a 74 sub section?

IPD
03-26-2011, 08:12 AM
heheheh. yeah the TB is fucking sweet...I think he sold out of them too :( if only my mrs knew what VR4 calipers were then maybe she'd be impressed by them. I know if I was a chick I'd be impressed by em. Fuck those VR4 brakes are sweet. <3

ANYWAY. Carry on lads.
Can we as for a 74 sub section?

74 subsection would be ok--provided it's also for 6g72 strokers, 6g75/strokers, and people who somehow ended up with 6g73's.

TUFFTR
03-26-2011, 08:51 AM
74 subsection would be ok--provided it's also for 6g72 strokers, 6g75/strokers, and people who somehow ended up with 6g73's.
That'd really suck, my heart goes out to them.

MR2
03-26-2011, 10:17 AM
no 72 stoker. only 74 or 74 based strokers.

IPD
03-26-2011, 10:23 AM
no 72 stoker. only 74 or 74 based strokers.

it wouldn't be enough to warrant a subforum with just 74 blocks. if there's going to be a sub forum, it should cover all 6g7x motors with a displacement other than stock 3.0L or 3.1L motor (the latter of which isn't substantial enough of a modification to warrant inclusion).

MR2
03-26-2011, 10:54 AM
nnnnyeah nah, maybe 3.5+ stroker?

I still don't like the idea of 72 blocks(being included in the subforum), they just don't face the same challanges and so for that that 74's do.

IPD
03-26-2011, 12:49 PM
stroker 72's have some "unique" things about them as well. baadvr4 and i were discussing potential issues with crank scrapers/ windage trays for them yesterday.

TUFFTR
03-26-2011, 05:56 PM
yeah but a 72 is still a 72. it still drops into the engine bay like it's meant to. have a look at just how many people are dropping in the 74 blocks now....its more then just a handful! 72's should be left to the rest of the whole forum,and 74/75's to have a dedicated "big block" sub-section. Eh, that's my opinion anyway, you all dont needa agree with it :P

IPD
03-26-2011, 07:12 PM
it is more than just a few people who have done 74 block swaps. it's still not enough to warrant a subforum by itself, imho. there's practically just as many people who have done awd conversions--and there isn't a subforum for that.

MR2
03-26-2011, 11:00 PM
yeah but a 72 is still a 72. it still drops into the engine bay like it's meant to. have a look at just how many people are dropping in the 74 blocks now....its more then just a handful! 72's should be left to the rest of the whole forum,and 74/75's to have a dedicated "big block" sub-section. Eh, that's my opinion anyway, you all dont needa agree with it :P

Seconded :)

jessecain1
03-26-2011, 11:29 PM
ive been crying for a sub forum for awhile now..... would make searching a whole lot easier

jessecain1
04-20-2011, 09:59 PM
just a little bit of an update guys.....well actually a pretty big one, i just received my tutution check and will be placing an order with 3sx next week for there stage 3 world record holding heads and crower camshafts....wish me luck with this as of now im already spinning the wheels cant wait to get this going......still trying to decide what i should use as far as engine managment...should make for one sick NA

n2nsanity
04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
sweet :)
what's the bill on that?
they installing or you?

TUFFTR
04-21-2011, 03:36 AM
Two words, you bastard. :P

TUFFTR
04-21-2011, 04:08 AM
I'll bet it won't make 320 at the fly like the factory evo pajero does.

Steve

EVO Pajero makes 206kw at the engine.....Debonair 6G74 makes 194kw. Won't be very hard to superceed that with the right set of camshafts

jessecain1
04-21-2011, 11:46 AM
im on the other side of the country of 3sx. so my local tech school instructor will be walking me through it just like everything else. would be way to much for me to try to tackle with out a little supurvision lol. Said and done im hoping not to go over 4,500 seeing as thats all i have at the moment. I'm pretty exicted to get this going but alot wont be done until probably next quarter (summer) becuase the class has already choosen all the cars they will be working on this quarter. I'm really stuck on what engine managment system i should buy....? or will i be fine with out one?

n2nsanity
04-21-2011, 12:10 PM
hey man, one other thing.. did your engine come with a knock sensor? mine didn't
i pulled the one off the old engine and swapped harnesses already. i just have to plug it in.
would've been a lil easier to do out of the car, wish i would've noticed it then
mine seemed to run fine without it tho

jessecain1
04-21-2011, 12:16 PM
oddly enough it didnt. it does now thou.... wasnt all that hard either, i did it with the plenum and everyting off out of the car

mb3000
04-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Subscribed.

TUFFTR
04-22-2011, 03:09 AM
There you go, it's even an ozz article so ozzys should be able to understand. Most references to the Pajevo show it as 205.8Kw but the 3997 cc Paris Dakkar special makes less power(yes, it's already been built by Mitsubishi).

Autospeed (http://autospeed.com/cms/title_The-Mitsubishi-6G-Engine-Guide/A_2852/article.html)

and

Pajero/Montero Evolution Paris Dakar News: (http://www.inforally.sibiul.ro/rallyraid-news-12531-pajero_montero_evolution.html)

It's even dry sumped from the factory

Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution - Supercars.net (http://www.supercars.net/cars/2831.html)

The next best power output is 180Kw from the ozzy built ralliart Magna 3.5

The 92 debonair has the 190+ Kw engine due to using the 3N heads, the later 93+ ones probably have the 3A heads so make less power

Steve

Not really Steve. Remember the 3N heads were coupled with different camshafts. The 3A heads had different camshafts again to deal with the change in head (like how the 3L goes from 163kw 91-93 and then 165kw 93+)

n2nsanity
04-22-2011, 01:05 PM
how can you tell the differences? anything from looking at just the engine?
is not having the knock sensor a good thing?
that is what that sensor is right? the one next to the oil pressure sensor

GTwizard
04-23-2011, 01:46 AM
N2nsanity,
The question about the location of the knock senser tell me you are not using a service/repair manual. If you expect to do anything right, you must start reading. With manual in hand, this stuff is could be childs play. But with namual in mind, it's for sure childs play.
Read, read, read. or you are going to get yourself in a real finacial bind do to a lack of understanding at some point. This is to help you, not to pick fun at you.

n2nsanity
04-23-2011, 02:21 PM
wizard, thanks for the tip, but everything makes more sense to me when i tear into something and then read up when i get stuck or to look up tq settings.
i don't claim to be an expert at anything, but i've been doing my own work for quite a while and this method's worked out pretty good for the most part

steve, thanks for the correction, i've been putting a ? after everytime i mentioned it
noone chimed in until now, so i assumed that's what it was
also, was assumin the sensor between the heads was a temperature sensor
thanks for clearing that up as well

jessecain1
05-13-2011, 07:41 PM
well guys i didnt mean to lead you on but there i was with everything in the checkout cart at 3sx and i just couldnt bring myself to do it. so instead i went out and bought a nice zex wet shot, bottle heater, purge, and window switch. its kind of a :) :( moment. the power is defiently there its just not going to be my orginal NA plan. I am still considering picking up the heads and cams, but it wont be till later date. anyhow im going to start off with a 50 shot to get a feel for it and then work my way up to 65-75. should make for some nice gains.

sorry for being that guy :(

TUFFTR
05-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Doesn't matter mate, I'm sure that "Final price" box down the end was a bit too much too handle in the end! and I agree......if your going to be spending that much you mightaswell be forcing the air in!
NOS sounds like a great idea. Totally illegal and defectable where I live so that's a no go for me.
So what else is on the horizon? Have you looked into a piggyback of some sort?

n2nsanity
05-13-2011, 11:36 PM
its all good
look forward to seeing the results

Alex3000gt
05-14-2011, 12:39 AM
Did you splice together the neutral switch? It was in the same harness as the reverse lights - the block connector that attached to the auto trans. There are two wires that must be connected to make the ECU think that the car is in neutral.

jessecain1
05-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Doesn't matter mate, I'm sure that "Final price" box down the end was a bit too much too handle in the end! and I agree......if your going to be spending that much you mightaswell be forcing the air in!
NOS sounds like a great idea. Totally illegal and defectable where I live so that's a no go for me.
So what else is on the horizon? Have you looked into a piggyback of some sort?

actually i want to see what gains you get first with yours haha...

In all seriousness thou i have no clue when it comes to electronics... id basicaly need someone to hold my hand threw the whole thing, would love to but the knowledge is just not there on my end

oh and nitrous is illegal here to.:DevilSmile:

jessecain1
05-14-2011, 12:46 AM
its all good
look forward to seeing the results

really would love to find a place local to dyno/tune and get results NA and with the spray. you guys will be the first to know when i do. just havent had alot of time lately with my son just being born :)

TUFFTR
06-13-2011, 03:56 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/254094_10150202907231576_601621575_7577109_307904_ n.jpg
Tis here!
Will go during the week to find appropriate vacuum port block off plates and the like as I'll need a new hose for my Booster line.
very happy, quality is fantastic!

And yep, you can do all 6 plugs with manifold on, sensational!

MR2
06-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Sweeeeet!

how does it go performence wise?

TUFFTR
06-13-2011, 08:56 AM
Well I won't know that for a little while. I'tll be on and off a few times in the next few days. Need to drill holes for the accel cable, find some blanking grommets for the 4 holes in the manifold, and also find some bolts for the rear two holes as factory bolts wont work..........so a bit of stuffing around........once i've sorted all those issues out I'll put it on, but probably wont for a few weeks as I'll polish it up, have it clear coated and put her on with the 272's :D

jessecain1
06-13-2011, 10:47 AM
perfect fit for the new throttle body eh? How's the clearence with the hood?

really looking forward to see the results of this build.

n2nsanity
06-13-2011, 10:55 AM
you had me at doing all 6 plugs with the manifold on :)

TUFFTR
06-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Few small issues regarding fitment but this is due to a mistake with the factory. 10 minutes with a file and it's all good. SSM have been very good responding to questions and whatknot.

Fitment to the TB was tight...not sure if it's just cause the threads hadn't been used before but yeah it was tight. I'll take it out tomorrow and put it in again maybe with some WD40 to ensure they'll go in as easy as OEM.

Anyway, only issue right now is hitting my strut brace! I have managed to move the entire strut brace over about 5mm, I'll probably flatten the weld's on the top of the intake a mm or two first, and if that still doesnt give me enough room, I'll do something with the strut brace holes. 3-4mm clearance is all I'd like. Rear and front mount's are new so the engine doesn't move at all really.

What else what else....modified the injector cover to fit nicely.....excellent it looks good!, ordered a new 3" 90 degree bend couple for the intake, it will bolt right onto the factory L piece off the MAF which is good (as it sits closer to the front of the car) that was $20 delivered which is pretty epic.

Tapped the holes for the throttle cable so that's all hunkey-dorey now....and yeah....not much else left to do.

GTwizard
07-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Just got back from NG. Ended up going out on the road course with Advanced drivers group as with the some experiance only group was out front driving by myself. Was lonely out there. So went back and changed classes to get out there with some real competition and ended up passing a few VR4's to put me out front again. Well 3rd from the front anyways. Only found 2 VR4s I could not catch and pass. Not back for an NA. At 1 point there was an M3 in the line up behind me and a fine VR4 behind him with a dash cam. At some point he does catch and pass the M3, but as you can see in his dash cam I am no where to be found. I have a 1/2 lap on that M3. Did fine at auto cross, but lost the trans at the drags, like always. Still did ok though. After blowing the trans and costing 200 ft through the trap, was still 14.880. Can't complain I guess, Just a little pissed, as I only had the trand in for 4 days. And the LSD I had installed did nothing for me. Still smok-n 1 tire. LOL. I also found that the SOHC trans has much different gears. Everyone says those SOHC feel so torquy. It's only because of the close gears. Think I am going to stick with the SOHC trans, but get aWavetech LSD from the DSM group instead of the cheap crap I had put in.

jessecain1
07-05-2011, 01:49 AM
what kind of Lsd were you running? obx? would really like to see the dash cam if you have it.

GTwizard
07-05-2011, 02:49 AM
That dash cam can be found on the 2011 NG media thread as well as you tube. I will try to find the link again. The LSD was from Mid America. Spring type. I heard it had good results in other cars. But mine just powered through it.
Jessicain1. Post some pics of yours. would like to see your engine bay.

TUFFTR
07-05-2011, 04:12 AM
I'm using the SOHC manual....didnt know they had different gearing!

1/4 time is epic considering you didnt have the foot on the pedal for 1/4 of it!

MR2
07-05-2011, 05:36 AM
Epic is getting overused these days...yes he did very well...impressively even!...but..Epic...

TUFFTR
07-05-2011, 06:14 AM
Epic is getting overused these days...yes he did very well...impressively even!...but..Epic...

K, you take off your turbo's, disconnect your propshaft then try and hit a mid-high 14sec 1/4....that's a damn good time!

MR2
07-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Oh it IS a good time...definitly...I'd say Excellent even.

IPD
07-05-2011, 07:48 AM
K, you take off your turbo's, disconnect your propshaft then try and hit a mid-high 14sec 1/4....that's a damn good time!

still not a fair comparison, because he'd have to delete all of the AWD weight.

TUFFTR
07-05-2011, 08:06 AM
still not a fair comparison, because he'd have to delete all of the AWD weight.

Well, yes, so do that aswell. 14.8 in a 3L FWD is a fucking sweet time considering he broke a gearbox halfway through.
But like, you get where I was going :P

TUFFTR
07-06-2011, 03:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P1iVnyIRJU
6G74 with 272's and set to -3 +1. Phat!

n2nsanity
07-06-2011, 10:07 AM
sounds nasty :)

jessecain1
07-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Love the sound Tufftr, what kind of gears are you running? also did you need to use any shims?

To Gtwizard: I'll i have is a few older pics of the engine bay before alot of things went on but here ya go, Ill try to snap a few updated ones

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff113/jessecain1/imagejpeg_2_7.jpg

n2nsanity
07-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Dude you need to post some vids and get that thing to a dyno. Anxious to see some #s already :P

jessecain1
07-06-2011, 03:34 PM
^^^
me or tuftr?

would love to see what his dyno's at. might just tip me over the edge on picking up a few other N/A goodies :)

n2nsanity
07-06-2011, 06:50 PM
was referring to you because he has a few already
i know i've got a ways to go, but curious to see how much more work i'm going to need to meet my goals

TUFFTR
07-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Cheers Jesse. Yeah used shims under all lifters and put 99 lifters in there too while I was at it. Car is actually more ticky then before?! It was dead quiet before but I thought screw it, while everythings out and apart I'll put the better lifters in.
Running the Fidanza cam gears set at -3 +1 or whatever the standard issue settings were

jessecain1
07-06-2011, 10:27 PM
very nice, Im guessing it is a pretty noticeable gain on the butt dyno eh? Even if there was no gain to be had i would simply love cams for the sound they produce. :)

to n2insanity: As soon as i catch wind of a local dyno day Ill shoot over there and see what i can do. Trust me ive been waiting.

TUFFTR
07-08-2011, 02:27 AM
Still ticky for some reason even after some 7500RPM stints!
Cleaned up the tune heaps...was running pig rich in some areas (10 AFR) so I will give it a run tomorrow. Sprung an oil leak I'm hoping is just the rocker cover again so I'll stick that back on tomorrow and yeah see how we go. The lope at idle is fucking fantastic though!

GTwizard
07-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Love the sound Dude. 272 have the best lope I've heard. Like the sound of the exhaust as well. Once you dump those rich spots your in for a surprize.

TUFFTR
07-09-2011, 04:49 AM
Love the sound Dude. 272 have the best lope I've heard. Like the sound of the exhaust as well. Once you dump those rich spots your in for a surprize.

Well....I am looking forward to tomorrow then! cleaned up the map a bit....will be going for a spin and seeing how she goes! bit of on road tuning for sure.

Exhaust was made in my earlier days when I didn't really do research into anything, just wanted things to be done....mandrel bent engine pipe, 3" high flow cat, 2.5" mandrel bent from cat back, then 2 x 2" press bent from the rear axle to two mufflers. Never sounded better though...
Will let ya's know how it goes tomorrow. Just hope that oil leak was the rocker cover ><

jessecain1
07-11-2011, 02:15 PM
within the last week ive been noticing a real loss of power with my 6g74 around 2k-3k almost like the car bogs down and the rpm needle doesnt move up as fast. I'm totaly baffled as to whats going on here, really hoping you guys can give me some insight on what i should check out.

Hans@GZP
07-11-2011, 05:52 PM
How's your oil pressure?

jessecain1
07-12-2011, 03:19 AM
idk, how the oil pressure is couldnt get the damn gauge to work

TUFFTR
07-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Only aftermarket gauge I have running right now! Very handy to have....a 5psi drop alerted me to an oil leak...

Hans@GZP
07-12-2011, 08:47 AM

Lots of these 3.5 swaps fail because they are running a stock 3.0 ecu. It seems that the timing is too far advanced and it causes the engine to kill itself. Mine did it in my satin black car. Spun a bearing in only 3000 miles.

jessecain1
07-12-2011, 03:19 PM
whats a remedy to this problem?

IPD
07-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Lots of these 3.5 swaps fail because they are running a stock 3.0 ecu. It seems that the timing is too far advanced and it causes the engine to kill itself. Mine did it in my satin black car. Spun a bearing in only 3000 miles.

is this just a problem with 74's, or are 72 strokers prone to this too? and yes, what's the solution (other than AEM)?

jessecain1
07-12-2011, 05:02 PM
at this point im really hoping i just need to clean my iac

Hans@GZP
07-12-2011, 05:30 PM
If you have a 91-92 CAS, you can try adjusting your base timing and then log it to make sure you aren't knocking. For 93+ models, you would either need a piggy back timing controller like an emanage or swap to a flashable ecu. You may even be able to find an ECU that matches the engine if you search hard enough.

IPD
07-12-2011, 05:38 PM
If you have a 91-92 CAS, you can try adjusting your base timing and then log it to make sure you aren't knocking. For 93+ models, you would either need a piggy back timing controller like an emanage or swap to a flashable ecu. You may even be able to find an ECU that matches the engine if you search hard enough.

so maft+safc isnt' going to cut it. adjustable cam gears to retard the timing? and is this a 74 only issue...or both a 72 & 74 issue?

Hans@GZP
07-12-2011, 05:55 PM
It's the added stroke of the 3.5 liter. You could to a maft pro... that has timing control.

IPD
07-12-2011, 06:01 PM
fml. wish i'd known that before i got the maft 1.0

TUFFTR
07-12-2011, 06:45 PM
As a safeguard you MUST run the highest octane fuel you can buy.
Same deal when people convert from the SOHC 24v 72's to the SOHC 24v's in the magnas running the 3L ECU. You have to run the 98 octane fuel or else it'll ping it tits off.

n2nsanity
07-13-2011, 02:27 AM

u swap that section of the harness? (3 pin instead of the 2 pin)

n2nsanity
07-13-2011, 02:28 AM

that's the 1st i've heard anyone mention this
makes sense tho

jessecain1
07-13-2011, 02:41 AM
u swap that section of the harness? (3 pin instead of the 2 pin)

yea its all pluged in the damn thing wont work at all thou, idk at this point. i just ordered halo software and there cables so i can at least log whats going on. It's easy for me to put somthing in its a whole diffrent story when it comes to tunning im really going to need help on this one.

GTwizard
07-14-2011, 10:01 AM
You can PM me once you get that installed. More than happy to help.

jessecain1
07-14-2011, 01:56 PM
You can PM me once you get that installed. More than happy to help.

thanks, i will take you up on that, would really love to get this thing tuned in. AS far as the hesitation problem i simply cleaned the iac and tada it vanished, made my day :)

foreveralone
11-25-2012, 11:32 PM

For those contemplating this at high elevation, this is actually good news.

TUFFTR
11-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Got a 99 VR4 ECu for mine. Will be fully tuned and suited to a 3.5L early next year. the hopefully don't have to touch it again, Ahh, that'd be the day!

n2nsanity
12-05-2012, 12:49 AM
Got a 99 VR4 ECu for mine. Will be fully tuned and suited to a 3.5L early next year. the hopefully don't have to touch it again, Ahh, that'd be the day!

What'd you end up doing with the harness? Custom adapter or replace it? Or did you get that far yet? Is your old ecu 3 or 4 connectors?

GTwizard
12-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Flashable is in. Dyno this Sat. Got ride of the Damn scoop, (relocated), painted the wheels Flat black,
and roof beep black with tons clear coat to mimic Black glass. Relocated Charc canister. Still smog legle. (I my county)
Trying to make it look a little more respectable and civilized. How am I doing? LOL.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr343/GTwizard/DSCF6301-1.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr343/GTwizard/DSCF6297-1.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr343/GTwizard/DSCF6177.jpg
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr343/GTwizard/DSCF6173.jpg