PDA

View Full Version : Generic AFPR (ebay) - thoughts?

jba3
10-26-2010, 05:40 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL-PRESSURE-REGULATOR-WRX-STI-TALON-LANCE-EVO-3000GT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem41469ad7d5QQitemZ28035 7427157QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Aside from "what is this english i dont even", has anyone tried this generic AFPR? Seems crazy cheap for including a gauge, but it doesn't say if it's a rising rate regulator, so I'm not 100% it'd work on a TT, though it does say evo, and they use a rising rate, and ... ah, my brain.

Has anyone successfully used one of these?

GTOJOE
10-26-2010, 06:23 PM
except shipping cost more than the unit LOL.

Austin@STM
10-26-2010, 06:31 PM
They are crap, we just had a 3000gt in here with one and it was not happy on the dyno, he is putting the stock one back in, and the car should be a lot happier.

They are very inconsistent which is a bad thing for boosted engines where going lean for even a second can cost you your engine. If you feel your car needs one get a real name brand regulator.

TUFFTR
10-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Never cheap out with performance products. if it's too good to be true, it usually is.

I use a Malpassi rising rate reg. Very VERY sturdy unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MALPASSI-TURBO-RISING-RATE-FUEL-REGULATOR-BOSCH-044-040-/220678783456?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33617b01e0

Austin@STM
10-27-2010, 10:17 AM
There's no reason to use anything other than a stock one.

Steve
:PicardFacepalm:

FeaRpb
10-27-2010, 11:21 AM

Steve

Umm what?

jba3
10-27-2010, 02:26 PM

Steve

:PicardFacepalm:

Definitely facepalm. I plan on getting an upgraded pump and hotwiring it, which will overrun the stock regulator. I was looking at the Fuelab one, and saw the ebay unit, hadn't seen any threads, and thought I'd post up for feedback. Looks like I'm going Fuelab. :)

blindmist
10-27-2010, 03:33 PM
lol. You only need a stock FPR. Wow. Tell that to the DSM guys with a Walbro 255.

3000GT MR
10-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Jeeze, you guys are thick.

http://www.3sgto.org/showthread.php?1638-No-rev-past-4300./page4

Steve

so my twin hot wired pumps -8 fuel lines and over 510LPH at 60psi could use a stock FPR. well fuck me i shouldnt have bought an aftermarket one. I didnt know a stock one could handle a -6 return.

jba3- I loved my single walbro, stock FPR, and 450cc injectors. with a SAFC it was perfect. and before my SAFC and 450s it was still good. never had an issue if thats your intended use. FPR arnt expensive. i have a almost complete fuel kit on the other site. Just been to lazy to get verified here.

x2xtreme360
10-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Jeeze, you guys are thick.

http://www.3sgto.org/showthread.php?1638-No-rev-past-4300./page4

Steve

So utilizing an aftermarket AFPR to squeeze the extra juice out of your injectors isn't worth the trouble? The whole idea of an AFPR is so you can ADJUST it;)

Austin@STM
10-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Al that's going to achieve is to screw everything up and make it harder to tune.There's no need when you have a fuel controller which is what you'll already have with bigger injectors.
Pumps actually flow LESS at higher fuel pressure.

Steve

...and how much power does this magical setup you have make?

Unknownvr4
10-28-2010, 02:47 AM
It's not about power.

It's about reliable power per $$$ spent.

Turning up the pressure screws the low fuel trim, which in turn upsets other things.

Steve

My car was running pig fing rich with a hotwired "supra" fuel pump overrunning the stock fpr.

To the OP, it has been said numerous times dont cheap out on anything. You'll always regret it in the end.

Chris@Rvengeperformance
10-28-2010, 01:37 PM
It's not about power.

It's about reliable power per $$$ spent.

Turning up the pressure screws the low fuel trim, which in turn upsets other things.

Steve

Uh What? Not if you tune it out. Running 50 PSI base on 550cc injectors. Low fuel trim is 104.

The stock FPR on my hotwired 255 car was overflowed to where it would run 52 PSI base and then drop down to 37 as fuel consumption increased. THAT upsets tuning.

2 Stock regulators may work fine, but in my mind that decreases reliability because you have more plumbing and twice as may regulators to fail.

The AEM fuel rail setup fits like stock and I have about $150 in it total.

What do 2 NEW oem non adjustable regulators cost? How is it plumbed, what did the lines and fittings cost?

3000GT MR
10-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Everything you need is in the junkyard. Cost about $5.

Steve

Is that including the hood?

All i know is that my car ran great with a stock FPR and a walbro hotwired and 450cc. I also had a SAFC at the time Fuel trims were dead nuts. But once i went larger in injectors and more boost the stock FPR wasnt liking it. and now my fuel system could no way in hell use 4 stock FPR. My fuel pressure was set at 50 base with 560cc and it was rock solid no matter the driving/boost. then when i went to 2 pumps and -8 line i put it back to 43 base. still rock solid. Stock fuel return lines cant even handle 2 walbros.

Chris@Rvengeperformance
10-28-2010, 04:40 PM

Steve

If junkyard fuel systems are your idea of reliable power that's fine, but don't come in here and act like we are foolish for using NEW aftermarket parts, that are better than stock.

blindmist
10-28-2010, 04:53 PM
If junkyard fuel systems are your idea of reliable power that's fine, but don't come in here and act like we are foolish for using NEW aftermarket parts, that are better than stock.

No shit. I concur.

vr3.9
10-28-2010, 05:59 PM
love my afpr. Lets me run 58psi on 550's and tune for E47 and back to 43.5 for regular when I can't find e85. I guess that's a reason to have one. Lot of other reasons too, but for me it's all I need.

Austin@STM
10-28-2010, 07:34 PM

Steve

This is dam near the worst advice I have ever heard. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but seriously, you need to take a step back and look at evrything you have said. You are completely misleading people with 90% of your posts, and all you have to back any of them up so far is a video of your car idling way to high after 5 years.

CoopKill
10-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Drmbldr is that you?

x2xtreme360
10-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Al that's going to achieve is to screw everything up and make it harder to tune.There's no need when you have a fuel controller which is what you'll already have with bigger injectors.
Pumps actually flow LESS at higher fuel pressure.

Steve

So all the guys using AFPR's and higher fuel pressures are having some huge issues tuning? I use an AFPR on a stock pump and fuel system in order to run higher boost if I want. It keeps the IDC's lower and causes your injectors to flow more = act larger.

I understand that pumps flow LESS with higher fuel pressure, as the AFPR restricts the fuel flow in the lines, hence the higher pressure... I'm failing to see how that little tid bit has anything to do with this?

jba3
10-29-2010, 11:40 AM

Steve

Steve

What don't you understand about the fuel pressure being too high. Probably due to the single stock FPR/hotwire/walbro.

Steve

Wuuuuuuuutttttttttt? You tell me to use a stock FPR, then in the other thread you link to tell somebody that their stock FPR/hotwire/walbro (my setup) has fuel pressure that's too high? :wut:

Sometimes I like to test out the cheaper stuff on my DD. It's stock injectors, stock turbo, so it's easy enough to test things on. I'm not sure if I can get a hotwired pump to work with a flashable ECU and stock FPR, but I guess we will find out in a few weeks.

Unknownvr4
10-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Really?

Did you ever watch that movie "the worlds fastest indian"?
No aftermarket parts in that.
Actually the worst sort of advice is any advice that comes from a sponsor on a forum.
The end result is potentially the same as letting a bunch of catholic priests loose in a boys dormitory.

Steve

Actually, from a sponsor who made a 3S do 10 seconds on stock turbo/motor, i believe people love the advice

blindmist
10-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Actually, from a sponsor who made a 3S do 10 seconds on stock turbo/motor, i believe people love the advice

Yeah. I concur. Especially when said vendor has cut deals to help people in need. +1 to STM

x2xtreme360
10-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Really?

Did you ever watch that movie "the worlds fastest indian"?
No aftermarket parts in that.
Actually the worst sort of advice is any advice that comes from a sponsor on a forum.
The end result is potentially the same as letting a bunch of catholic priests loose in a boys dormitory.

Steve

Did you ever watch that movie The Fast and The Furious? Yea, those cars were really doing that shit.

Are you high? Or just a troll?