PDA

View Full Version : air conditioning delete ?

RJMII
10-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Are there two different alternator mounts for these cars? (Engine is out of 95 3000GT, going into something else completely different)

I am getting rid of the air conditioning system completely. Has anyone else done this? Any tips, hints, or suggestions? The alternator belt I purchased seems to be an inch or two too long for no a/c.

stealthee
10-24-2010, 06:06 PM
The only different alternator mounts is one for the SOHC and one for the DOHC. The SOHC has its AC on its own belt so AC delete on it is easy. There are several methods to deleting the AC on a DOHC 3s

RJMII
10-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Thank you. :)
This is a DOHC TT from a VR4. Where would I go to look at the various options?

stealthee
10-24-2010, 06:33 PM
I thought there was a write up on pansy patrol but I was unable to locate it. A few vendors do offer ac delete "kits"

GTwizard
10-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Remove AC. Only install upper belt idler pulley. Done. Now buy a shorter belt. To install belt, you need to only put the lower bolt in the alt. Now your alt will pivot on the first bolt. In the down posission you will be able to install the belt. As you begin pulling the alt into place, the belt will get tight. Now install other 3 bolt and you are done. This also elliminates the tentioner pulley down below. You have everything but the belt to complete this. I can not tell you what size belt to use as pulleys differ in size. I run under drive so my numbers do you know good.

green-lantern
10-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Remove AC. Only install upper belt idler pulley. Done. Now buy a shorter belt. To install belt, you need to only put the lower bolt in the alt. Now your alt will pivot on the first bolt. In the down posission you will be able to install the belt. As you begin pulling the alt into place, the belt will get tight. Now install other 3 bolt and you are done. This also elliminates the tentioner pulley down below. You have everything but the belt to complete this. I can not tell you what size belt to use as pulleys differ in size. I run under drive so my numbers do you know good.

this, I deleted Coop's (DCIV) AC on his car. You can pretty much just remove the AC and put a smaller belt on it. I can't remember the exact way it went on but I remember it being very easy. The hardest part was going back and forth to the part store to find the right belt. If you want PM coop on 3si and ask what the belt number is if he can still read it.

a2j
10-25-2010, 12:35 AM
I think the belt number for underdrive pulley is 060370 and I should confirm this (on my car) in a few days.

KeithMac
10-25-2010, 05:14 AM
I removed ALL the Idlers and AC mountings, I modified the Alt bracket slightly to clear the belt (it`s obvious what has to be removed when looking at it) and fitted a 6PK1000 belt on stock alt and crank pulleys.

Been fine for 5000+ miles and the tension is still perfect!, saved a lot of weight..

Mikes2nd
10-27-2010, 11:23 PM
yeah I went the tensioner pulley route. worked great.

terrets
10-28-2010, 02:07 AM
The only different alternator mounts is one for the SOHC and one for the DOHC. The SOHC has its AC on its own belt so AC delete on it is easy. There are several methods to deleting the AC on a DOHC 3s

Arent the 1g and 2g alternator mounts slightly different?

stealthee
10-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Arent the 1g and 2g alternator mounts slightly different?

I have never heard that. Why would they be?

mcshooter
10-28-2010, 06:16 PM
by using the tensioner pulley method you are able to adjust the belt tension, if i remember right we had to put a spacer between the block and pulley so the pulley is out away from the block to allign up with the belt. someone had a post on how to do this, we had a extra tensioner pully ..there is a threaded hole with the correct treaded hole were one of the air cond pulleys was.

terrets
10-29-2010, 02:14 AM
Im not sure but I had someone who told me they were different when he bought the bracket off my car. Unless you were talking the mount of the alternator to the bracket and not the bracket itself. :lol: Sorry if I didnt catch that.

Marsmik
01-12-2011, 06:22 PM
hi guys, how many hours the ac delete takes for the medium skilled guy with the right tools and a lifter? compressor delete + lines+ all unnecessary parts..

mcshooter
01-12-2011, 07:21 PM
it probably took me 3 hours but a lot of the time was driving back to the parts store to swap out the belt. i dont remember the length, sorry about that. also some time was spent grinding the notch in the bracket.. i hate to say this but log on to 3si and scearch on ac delete.i did the way you use the timing tensioner to adjust it..

i3igpete
01-13-2011, 01:46 PM
the easiest way is to keep the idler pulley, delete the tensioner, and installation of the alternator itself creates the tension.

the view from below:

the view from below:
http://www.3si.org/wiki/images/1/10/Picture955.jpg