PDA

View Full Version : help asap trying to remove the rear dnp hardpipe to the turbo!!!!

FlamboyantStealthTT
10-24-2010, 01:33 PM
im changing the spark plugs and the hardpipe to the rear turbo must be removed to reach to other components that needs to be removed also to lift up the plenum. the problem is i loosened the clamps connecting the hardpipes and tried pulling the rear pipe up. it wouldnt move at all because its on the turbo pretty good.

how to i get it off the turbo??? just keep trying to pull it up?

dbest671
10-24-2010, 01:37 PM
There should be a bolt holding it on, at least there is on the stock one.

green-lantern
10-24-2010, 01:54 PM
There should be a bolt holding it on, at least there is on the stock one.

yep there is a bolt that holds the pipe to turbo.

Make sure when removing the plenum that you take the washers off of the two outer studs before taking it off. I can't count the times I've seen people drop one of those washers into the intake when removing it and not realizing it until they start it.

MaxClass
10-24-2010, 02:25 PM
That upper turbo pipe is only held in by one bolt, at the turbo, and an O-ring that seals it inside against the turbo housing. Just wiggle it around as you are lifting up on it.

Head the warning about the washers on the intake plenum. Also as soon as you get it off take a piece of cardboard cut just large enough to cover all the intake openings and press it down on the two outside studs to make an imprint of the studs, then poke holes at the indents and place it over the intake openings. The stud holes will hold it in place and prevent anything from possibly accidentally falling into the intake openings. You’ll be glad you did this the first time you drop something on the cardboard.

Lastly, as soon as you get the top pipe off of the turbo drop a golf ball into the turbo opening. This will prevent anything from accidentally being dropped into that opening too.

Another tip that may be helpful. When removing the Exhaust Gas Recirculating [EGR] pipe from the plenum loosen both bolts then remove one bolt and let the gasket swing up or down while being held in place by the other bolt. Tie a piece of string through the bolt hole of the removed bolt in the gasket and tie it to something solid so you can remove the other bolt without dropping the gasket. Trust me here, if you drop the gasket you will not find it if Murphy’s Law is still in effect. Reverse the procedure to reinstall it.

Hope this helps.

green-lantern
10-24-2010, 02:56 PM
That upper turbo pipe is only held in by one bolt, at the turbo, and an O-ring that seals it inside against the turbo housing. Just wiggle it around as you are lifting up on it.

Head the warning about the washers on the intake plenum. Also as soon as you get it off take a piece of cardboard cut just large enough to cover all the intake openings and press it down on the two outside studs to make an imprint of the studs, then poke holes at the indents and place it over the intake openings. The stud holes will hold it in place and prevent anything from possibly accidentally falling into the intake openings. You’ll be glad you did this the first time you drop something on the cardboard.

ah good point, I didn't even think to mention the cover for the intake. The very 1st thing I do when I remove the plenum is cover the intake. If you bought a new plenum gasket (and you should) you can use the old one as a perfect fit cover. just take some duct tape and tape up the intake holes in the gasket. The studs will hold it in place.

Another thing I forgot to mention is there is another bolt in that rear IC pipe. It's also bolted to the plenum.

FlamboyantStealthTT
10-24-2010, 04:57 PM
i got the hard pipe off. i covered the turbo opening with paper towel. the plenum was lifted up so i have enough room to reach the plugs. i covered everything with paper towels.

btw for the egr pipe i only took off 2 bolts that was bolted onto the plenum. the other 2 bolts on the turbo or heatshield i forgot where the other 2 bolts were bolted on but anyways i didnt loosen them at all. plenum came off easy with its bolts removed and just 2 of the egr bolts removed. but i see no gasket between the plenum and egr pipe. is there no gasket between the plenum and egr pipe???????

Austin@STM
10-24-2010, 05:31 PM
There is supposed to be a gasket for sure, you are either missing it, or it is stuck to the pipe, or intake manifold still. If its not there at all make sure you get one as this will be a big vac/boost leak.

FlamboyantStealthTT
10-24-2010, 05:46 PM
alright thanks will be going to autozone for the gaskets. and btw i can just use paper towels to wipe off all the surface oil right?

green-lantern
10-24-2010, 06:54 PM
what surface area are you talking about?

dbest671
10-24-2010, 07:44 PM
You can get the intake manifold gasket and maybe the EGR valve gasket, but I couldn't get the egr pipe gasket w/o having it special ordered at Autozone.

FlamboyantStealthTT
10-24-2010, 08:22 PM
im talking about the area where the runners meet the plenum gasket. since there is oil on the gasket there is oil on the plenum surface. anyways i went to autozone they didnt have such thing called "egr pipe gasket" at all. they only had the egr valve gasket... i couldnt find that gasket on rockauto.com either. but its marked in this picture from stealth316...

edit: the page on stealth316 have the part number for that gasket i'll just go to the dealership and get one

dbest671
10-24-2010, 08:59 PM
You got the part number right... MD149764. Come to think of it now, I had to order the pipe gasket from Cherry Hill and special order the EGR valve gasket from Autozone.

FlamboyantStealthTT
10-29-2010, 08:43 PM
i got the gasket from dealer they had to special order it. and it was 20 bucks with tax. anyways i want to know which way's which and how the gasket goes on... i drew a diagram and in black color right around the hole in the middle, its an area that is bulgy. does the bulgy side face the egr pipe and other side face the plenum? and that thing on the right side of the picture i drew does it face upwards towards the hood?
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/YoungGigolo123/egrgasket.jpg

FlamboyantStealthTT
10-30-2010, 02:39 PM
anyone? or it doesnt matter which sides which?

dbest671
10-30-2010, 02:46 PM
The way you have it draw on the picture should be the way it goes on. Make sure the little tab is facing up and on the right.

FlamboyantStealthTT
10-30-2010, 10:56 PM
my friend dropped the egr gasket down... is there a place that sells like a mechanic magnet that have a long and skinny rod?

CoopKill
10-30-2010, 11:02 PM
any auto part store

dbest671
10-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Get ready to get pissed at that thing... I think I dropped mine 10 times.

FlamboyantStealthTT
11-01-2010, 12:31 PM
all new spark plugs are in. made sure everythings back on, and on the right way. all clamps and couplers are tight. car keeps cranking and wont start.

could it be a weak battery? im using a yellow top i have charged it with a charger from sears about 3 weeks ago. then let it sit in the car BUT I DID NOT HAVE THE TERMINALS CONNECTED though. also the yellow top was completely out of voltage before i charged it. if its not the battery what else do i start looking for?

VR4's-kick-ass
11-01-2010, 01:31 PM
recheck the plug to the crank angle sensor located on the left side of the engine up top by the plenum, and also keep an eye out for any other unplugged electronics.

DrGonzo
11-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Next time add a small dab of high temp silicone to the gasket. It will help hold it in place. I have had to use the silicone trick many times when it comes to different gaskets wanting to fall off during install.

FlamboyantStealthTT
11-01-2010, 07:31 PM
i forgot to put the ground back on to the plenum bolt. but still now the car is cranking and the motor starts, i smell fuel in the engine bay and i put my head down in the exhaust tip i can also smell fuel from there. BUT the car only starts and rpm goes up to like 700 then dies right away...

i have a new iac and i have taken the ecu off to see if its leaking. it wasnt leaking at all. but could anything have messed up the chips in the ecu? i heard if the ecs motor is bad it'll make the ecu act weird. i doubt my ecs is bad though it was working perfect last time the car drove. i also checked all intercooler hardpipes and taken off the bad clamps replaced them with new ones.