PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke V8 in a dune buggy on the dyno.

thor'svr4
10-20-2010, 12:32 AM
3.6L V8 2-stroke! Weird dyno read out though, watch the vid and the dyno chart. they eventually get the chart to work ok but ive never heard of a 2-stroke with more tq than hp.
Now if they could turbo it :w00t:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRKeuHyI0lw

Austin@STM
10-20-2010, 12:46 AM
I want one so bad. To bad theres no desert around here :(

green-lantern
10-20-2010, 09:57 AM
220 on a two stroke V8? Seems pretty low. Where and the hell does that engine come from? an airplane? I don't think I have ever seen a 2 stroke that large before.

i3igpete
10-20-2010, 09:59 AM
yeah, the power drops like a rock at the top end.

green-lantern
10-20-2010, 10:23 AM
yeah, the power drops like a rock at the top end.

and that’s where 2 strokes come alive. It can't be running correctly. I would really like to know more about this engine. Google time!

Austin@STM
10-20-2010, 10:29 AM
and i forgot to mention how bad the first few graphs made me laugh, it was like a kid with an etch-a-sketch.

green-lantern
10-20-2010, 10:37 AM
The Engine is an Evinrude marine outboard.

Video says that it's an outboard boat motor. That's a big outboard!

thor'svr4
10-20-2010, 10:39 AM
and i forgot to mention how bad the first few graphs made me laugh, it was like a kid with an etch-a-sketch.

lmfao what your dyno charts dont have spirals and triangles in them?

and yea ive got no clue how that motor made 220hp and over 300tq. that just doesnt seam right.

green-lantern
10-20-2010, 10:48 AM
and yea ive got no clue how that motor made 220hp and over 300tq. that just doesnt seam right.

Well considering the dyno chart looked like a florescent moth on crystal meth the numbers might have been a little inaccurate. :lo5l:

onebadmollafolla
10-20-2010, 12:31 PM
3.6L V8 2-stroke! Weird dyno read out though, watch the vid and the dyno chart. they eventually get the chart to work ok but ive never heard of a 2-stroke with more tq than hp.
Now if they could turbo it :w00t:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRKeuHyI0lw

Check out trial dirt bikes. Those things could pull out a tree stump yet have next to no horsepower.

DeadOhioSky39
10-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Those things also have giant rear sprockets giving them a top speed of about 10mph :)

thor'svr4
10-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Those things also have giant rear sprockets giving them a top speed of about 10mph :)

that plus they have a pretty heavy flywheel compared to a mx bike.

mb3000
10-20-2010, 06:24 PM
2 stroke mx bikes ftw.

onebadmollafolla
10-20-2010, 07:54 PM
2 stroke mx bikes ftw.

Until four stroke mx bikes came out and completely pwnd them. ;)

green-lantern
10-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Until four stroke mx bikes came out and completely pwnd them. ;)

wrong! the only reason 4 strokes were winning was because they would let almost twice the displacement run against the 2 strokes, and the reasons behind that were to get rid of the 2 stroke. Burning oil on a small dirt bike, we cant have that, it's causing global warming. Just like regular cars are being phased out by hybrids, they change the rules to close the competitive gap.

DocWalt
10-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Turbos on a 2 stroke suck, they just push all sorts of fuel into the exhaust because of valve overlap.

Sick video though :)

onebadmollafolla
10-20-2010, 08:55 PM
wrong! the only reason 4 strokes were winning was because they would let almost twice the displacement run against the 2 strokes, and the reasons behind that were to get rid of the 2 stroke. Burning oil on a small dirt bike, we cant have that, it's causing global warming. Just like regular cars are being phased out by hybrids, they change the rules to close the competitive gap.

Anymore the new 250RF's are practically inline with the old 250R's. 2-stroke tech is just old. I personally can't stand them for any type of riding be it enduro, trail/recreational, or mx. Their power bands are absurdly poor along with their fuel consumption and cost.

green-lantern
10-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Anymore the new 250RF's are practically inline with the old 250R's. 2-stroke tech is just old. I personally can't stand them for any type of riding be it enduro, trail/recreational, or mx. Their power bands are absurdly poor along with their fuel consumption and cost.

Match them up year to year CC to CC the 2 stroke will dominate. More power less weight yada yada yada. The only reason the 2 stroke technology hasn't improved much is because of environmental standards.

onebadmollafolla
10-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Match them up year to year CC to CC the 2 stroke will dominate. More power less weight yada yada yada. The only reason the 2 stroke technology hasn't improved much is because of environmental standards.

Yup, year for year (back then) 2-strokes were more performance oriented. Four-strokes are better technology with better power that man-handle now. Give me CR-500 (2-stroke mx) and I'll race it with my CRF450R. Wouldn't be the first time. :D

RealMcCoy
10-20-2010, 10:24 PM

KTM is starting to bring the 2 stroke back... I'm very interested to see what they come up with in the next few years.

Some of the new 4 strokes are very cool, and they're awsome in the woods, but I haven't seen one yet that can pull my 14 year old CR500.

onebadmollafolla
10-20-2010, 10:33 PM
KTM is starting to bring the 2 stroke back... I'm very interested to see what they come up with in the next few years.

Some of the new 4 strokes are very cool, and they're awsome in the woods, but I haven't seen one yet that can pull my 14 year old CR500.

Hi. :)

thor'svr4
10-21-2010, 12:12 AM
to add fuel to the argument, was he faster on the 125 or 250f?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYiCWoDM7g&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32_Dxu1UVGM&feature=related

this video proves that insanely hot girls ride 4 strokes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_IE1sm5f10

onebadmollafolla
10-21-2010, 12:48 AM
to add fuel to the argument, was he faster on the 125 or 250f?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYiCWoDM7g&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32_Dxu1UVGM&feature=related

this video proves that insanely hot girls ride 4 strokes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_IE1sm5f10

Completely different tuning between the two. Put a cam/s (odd setup) and high comp piston and it's quite different. I've gone head to head with worked KX500's and pulled on my itty bitty 450R. :)

RealMcCoy
10-21-2010, 01:36 AM
Completely different tuning between the two. Put a cam/s (odd setup) and high comp piston and it's quite different. I've gone head to head with worked KX500's and pulled on my itty bitty 450R. :)

KX500's are slow... :)

Put a sand paddle on that thing and bring it out here.... We'll do some high gear pulls across the dunes and find out where the power is. :D

Don't get me wrong, I love the four strokes... If I wasn't puting all my money into a Stealth or three, I'd love to have one of each, But I think eventually I'll just compromise and build one of these.
http://www.servicehonda.com/cr500af05.html

terrets
10-21-2010, 02:07 AM
2 stroke mx bikes ftw.

TOTALLY agree :D.....That thing was bitchin!

onebadmollafolla
10-21-2010, 02:46 AM
KX500's are slow... :)

Put a sand paddle on that thing and bring it out here.... We'll do some high gear pulls across the dunes and find out where the power is. :D

Don't get me wrong, I love the four strokes... If I wasn't puting all my money into a Stealth or three, I'd love to have one of each, But I think eventually I'll just compromise and build one of these.
http://www.servicehonda.com/cr500af05.html

Caught my typo. Take it to the bank as it's few and far between. ;) :p Sure, bring it out here. We've done sand paddle pulls for years out here. Last four years in a row has been a four stroke champ. Never participated myself, though.

KeithMac
10-21-2010, 03:39 PM
I`ve work on motorbikes for a living and would take a 4 stroke every time, 2 stroke`s are a liability!.

I`ve had 3 KTM`s in in the last month 2 EXC 200`s (one with a fooked crank, the other top end seizure) and an EXC 300 that had top end siezed (got a steel liner fitted to the barrel).

Worked on 2 Honda CRF250`s for routine servicing, only thing needed doing engine wise was the valve clearances..

green-lantern
10-21-2010, 03:57 PM

KTM makes some bad ass woods bikes. If I get back into it thats what I'm wanting to get.

I've had a lot of fun with the torque of the four strokes I’ve had but yeah my old 1985 CR500 was a freaking monster. It actually ran a lot like a 4 stroke with its low end power but I could still bonsai mud holes at 45 mph with the crazy top end. It wasn’t very user friendly to new riders though :lo5l: hell it wasn’t very user friendly to intermediate riders ether. When I got it, it had a new fender and silencer on it because it body slammed a potential buyer.

thor'svr4
10-21-2010, 05:48 PM
I`ve work on motorbikes for a living and would take a 4 stroke every time, 2 stroke`s are a liability!.

I`ve had 3 KTM`s in in the last month 2 EXC 200`s (one with a fooked crank, the other top end seizure) and an EXC 300 that had top end siezed (got a steel liner fitted to the barrel).

Worked on 2 Honda CRF250`s for routine servicing, only thing needed doing engine wise was the valve clearances..

tell me about it lol. when my valves/head started to go on my 05 in 09 (it had 4 years of hard racing on it, it had its time lol) i had to reshim all the time. i finaly just ended up rebuilding the head and the problem was solved. its not nearly as expensive as 2-stroke guys make it out to be.

since your a service tech ive gotta ask you one thing, have you ever seen transmission fluid leak out the little drain hole on the air box on any crf250r's? i had this happen once and the only reason i noticed it was because it actually covered my rear disk and swingarm. had i not lost lost some braking power i prob would have blown the motor because when i checked the trans fluid it was almost empty, but my motor oil was a little high. nobody could understand how the hell that happened. its been a longggg time so i cant remember what caused it, but i think it was the center case gasket. i know it was something in the bottom end though because after i rebuilt it the problem went away and never came back. honestly i thought it was a 'bad luck' type of thing since my honda's have been pretty good in general. but a few months ago a friend of mine brought it up and told me that another guy he rides with started having trans fluid come out the drain tube in the air box . have you ever had anyone bring you a crf250 with the same problem? im wondering if its more common than i thought.

And im not a big fan of ktm but do you think maybe it was just the owners fault the motors seized? Perhaps they ran to lean of a gas/fuel mixture?

mb3000
10-21-2010, 05:59 PM
tell me about it lol. when my valves/head started to go on my 05 in 09 (it had 4 years of hard racing on it, it had its time lol) i had to reshim all the time. i finaly just ended up rebuilding the head and the problem was solved. its not nearly as expensive as 2-stroke guys make it out to be.

since your a service tech ive gotta ask you one thing, have you ever seen transmission fluid leak out the little drain hole on the air box on any crf250r's? i had this happen once and the only reason i noticed it was because it actually covered my rear disk and swingarm. had i not lost lost some braking power i prob would have blown the motor because when i checked the trans fluid it was almost empty, but my motor oil was a little high. nobody could understand how the hell that happened. its been a longggg time so i cant remember what caused it, but i think it was the center case gasket. i know it was something in the bottom end though because after i rebuilt it the problem went away and never came back. honestly i thought it was a 'bad luck' type of thing since my honda's have been pretty good in general. but a few months ago a friend of mine brought it up and told me that another guy he rides with started having trans fluid come out the drain tube in the air box . have you ever had anyone bring you a crf250 with the same problem? im wondering if its more common than i thought.

And im not a big fan of ktm but do you think maybe it was just the owners fault the motors seized? Perhaps they ran to lean of a gas/fuel mixture?

I always ran 40:1 for racing, instant horsepower over what factory reccomended. :suspect:

Was I running too lean?

thor'svr4
10-21-2010, 06:18 PM
naw you should have been fine. some would argue anything past 32:1 is lean but i ran 52:1 in my bike without any issues. 32:1 and i just kept fouling plugs. i think i eventually went to 42:1 but if you were at 40:1 then you really shouldnt have had any issue.

i could be wrong though, what does ktm recommend? If they recommend 32:1 than you should have been fine at 40:1

mb3000
10-21-2010, 06:21 PM
I raced a Yamaha but it was a while ago so I can't remember what they reccomended. Might have that service manual sitting around here somewhere though...

onebadmollafolla
10-21-2010, 10:39 PM
KTM makes some bad ass woods bikes. If I get back into it thats what I'm wanting to get.

No doubt. We've got a KTM 200EXC and a 300EXC and they make for excellent trail riding. On the 9.5 mile enduro race track we go on I struggle greatly with those in the less open areas. Enduro is their home. Heck, my father's 200EXC cooks (though heavily modded) for being a 200cc trail bike. It's scary.

KeithMac
10-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Haven`t seen that yet on a CRF250, sounds like the crank seal failed allowing oil from the gearbox into the crankcase. When this happens the excess fluid in the crankcase would be pumped up the breather pipe as you say.

The CRF`s do seem hard on the exhaust valves/ clearances but it`s nothing of a job to re-shim them and they do rev very well for a 4-stroke!.

I wouldn`t go leaner than 40:1 for the pre-mix personally.

onebadmollafolla
10-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Figured I'd post a few pics of the CRF450R (mine) and my father's KTM 200EXC tearing it up on the trails since we are on the topic now. :D

KTM (Dad):
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t60/SL3000gt/IMG_0929.jpg

^^Funny story behind that picture. About 2 seconds after I snapped that photo his back tire broke loose as he was doing a wheelie sending him on a crash course straight towards me. Ended up hitting me square sending me flying over his handle bars crushing his front headlight and plastic, the camera (destroyed, still able to extract photos, obviously), and I. We called it an early day after that as I was pretty well jacked up.

Honda CRF (Me):

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t60/SL3000gt/CroppedWheelie.jpg

Randoms:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t60/SL3000gt/RodandBikes.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t60/SL3000gt/bike1.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t60/SL3000gt/Alex.jpg

green-lantern
10-22-2010, 07:33 PM
nice bikes, funny this whole subject came up because I've been thinking of getting another bike. I missed out on a KTM 360 a few months back. I wished I would have got it.

onebadmollafolla
10-22-2010, 07:45 PM
nice bikes, funny this whole subject came up because I've been thinking of getting another bike. I missed out on a KTM 360 a few months back. I wished I would have got it.

Thanks, they are fun bikes. Truth be told, the CRF450R lost one time in a flat out drag race to the 200EXC. We were are on hard dry-slick fire road and I lost traction causing a massive over rev resulting in my rod shooting through the bottom of the crank case and transmission on a fully built motor. :(

:lol:

mb3000
10-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks, they are fun bikes. Truth be told, the CRF450R lost one time in a flat out drag race to the 200EXC. We were are on hard dry-slick fire road and I lost traction causing a massive over rev resulting in my rod shooting through the bottom of the crank case and transmission on a fully built motor. :(

:lol:

:sulk2:

thor'svr4
10-23-2010, 12:29 AM
^^Funny story behind that picture. About 2 seconds after I snapped that photo his back tire broke loose as he was doing a wheelie sending him on a crash course straight towards me. Ended up hitting me square sending me flying over his handle bars crushing his front headlight and plastic, the camera (destroyed, still able to extract photos, obviously), and I. We called it an early day after that as I was pretty well jacked up.

i got a 'my dad f'ed me over' story too lol
i had just gotten a cast taken off my leg maybe 2-3 days ago when my dad asked if i wanted to go riding. my dad had just bought a CRF250R, but he hadnt ridden in a dirt bike in around 30 years. so i was teaching him how to rail a berm and he actually got really good at this one corner. so i decided to try to follow him into it and 'push' him. as we were flying down the straight about to enter the corner he somehow managed to kick up a rock the size of a softball. i remember seeing this big light colored thing come off his rear tire and thinking 'what the hell is th...'. The rock managed to smash me right in the face. got me perfectly between the eyes and broke my nose. the thing hit me so hard both hands came off the handle bars and i was laying on my bikes seat with my head on the rear fender while still moving pretty fast toward this 90* right hander.
do you thing good ol' pops stopped to ask if i was alright? nope, he just kept railing that berm for another 5 min or so before he finally rode over lol. it was fun explaining to my mom how dad busted my nose.

and yes green lantern you should have bought the bike. they are great replacements for when your 3s is down lol.